ReefCleaners.org

Feather duster or apistia? HELP!

Lillie0704

I've got some new live rock lately and today I noticed a feather duster like creature coming out of my live rock. When I looked further into it I realized it might not be a feather duster!

I've got some new live rock lately and today I noticed a feather duster like creature coming out of my live rock. When I looked further into it I realized it might not be a feather duster!

Picture?

look at the base. if it looks the same color and consistency as the rest of the organism its most likely aptasia. if the base seems to be a separate entity, then its most likely a feather duster.

but of course pics would help...

The site won't let me upload my picture! The base of the organism is clear and the tentacles or feathers are layered! I don't know if this helps! I wish I could upload my picture!

A feather duster will live in a hard tube that it retracts into when disturbed ..... aiptasia will have an entirely soft body and they retract into a blob when disturbed.

.... best way I can explain with out seeing a pic.

Thank you! I'm so sorry I wish I could upload my picture. It looks like a soft organism. I read that if I put my peppermint shrimp in there it will take care of the problem. I am just worried about the shrimp disturbing my zoas and leather coral. Will they be okay?

Google aiptasia and feather duster. See which one matches what you have.

If its aiptasia, not the end of the world. Get some aiptasia x and zap it. Peppermints are risky, they can go after coral as well.

Archived