Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef Jar Project *Breaking down and moving to rimless*

A.Berry

Leathers are generally tough and 78 degrees is a good temp, I wouldn't worry too much. 

It's a really good thing that it just died instead of overheating. 

Cool discovery about the water!! I buy water from my LFS too. 

One of these days I'll probably get back to mixing it myself, but for right now that works perfectly for me. 

Hey everyone, got a question, the leather is looking a little bit funny. I haven't seen it open up in a day or so and it looks like it's shedding. Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
Pinner Reef

It does look like it getting ready to shed it's skin. This process can sometimes take up to a week. Give it a bit more time before getting too worried.

Ok cool I had read about them shedding before but I didn't know what that looked like or if all the stress in the last 4 days has caused problems

Hey everyone just finished the 2nd full water change and used the premixed water and a larger diameter siphon tube. It ended up going much quicker! I ended up doing a little bit of rearranging. The ricordea and a big mushroom seem to have wandered off of their rocks and the hermit crab keeps knocking the leather off, so I moved those all to more secure places. 

I thiught id lost the hermit crab yesterday. It climbed in between the rocks into a little cave and later in the day I saw a dark crab shell on the sand out of the shell. I've never seen a hermit crab molt and kind of assumed it'd be like a snake, more opaque, but this looked just like a crab out of its shell. anyways, I realized it was fine and it's back to wandering. I'm thinking a yellow clown goby may be in my near future. Happy birthday to me!

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

Drove an hour to Austin today to check out a cool LFS I'd heard about, The Aquadome! Place is awesome! I grabbed 2 frags, one of a polyp (anyone able to I.D.?) and a Zoa. No idea on what type of Zoa as it was closed but I didn't see a little neon green. I also picked up some macro algae. I'm hoping that should function well as Ann ammonia buffer, though I'm still going to change the water weekly.

I ended up moving the polyp to another rock and pulling this rock out right after taking this picture. I noticed some hair algae on it right after taking this pic, so I'm going to need to peroxide it. Unfortunately, my tag along polyp seems to have disappeared :/

Also had a yellow watchman goby follow me home! Happy birthday to me! It's one of the species I'd been very interested in and have been researching. He seems to be getting comfortable in the jar and has already found a little cave to stick his head out of. I stuck some mysis in and he came right out and ate it so I'm feeling positive :)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It followed you home, like a puppy?  Must be some of the same magic making Rain's cookie jar come to life! :lol:

Haha yep lotta magic going on around here!

41 minutes ago, A.Berry said:

Haha yep lotta magic going on around here!

Isn't it funny how things just follow you home or jump in your cart? Madness, I say! LOL

The jar looks good! How are you sealing the top and leaving enough room for your cords?

4 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Isn't it funny how things just follow you home or jump in your cart? Madness, I say! LOL

The jar looks good! How are you sealing the top and leaving enough room for your cords?

Right? Haha 

right now now I just have the lid sat over it. It has enough of a lip that it doesn't have much of an opening

So any ideas why my zoas aren't opening? It's been 4 days since I got them and I have had to move them once (crap knocked them off the rock) but I can't figure it out. Salt is 1.024 ammonia is down and the flow is good. On a brighter note the goby is out and active :)

Ok I'll do some rearranging too. The anthelia coral has made itself at home haha! The leather is starting to come back out too but it seems timid. I just see a spot of green every now and again

10 hours ago, A.Berry said:

Ok I'll do some rearranging too. The anthelia coral has made itself at home haha! The leather is starting to come back out too but it seems timid. I just see a spot of green every now and again

Maybe it's playing hide and seek. :lol:

8 days and the zoa still hasn't opened. I've changed water, moved the zoas, kept the water temp at 78... any ideas? I'll have to go recheck to be certain (it's slipped my mind right now) but the water should be at 1.024 or 1.025... the leather isn't really opening up either.

in better news, the goby has made the jar his. It's dug a pretty cool burrow and it's not overly shy, especially at feeding time!

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Sounds like something is bugging them. 

How strong is the flow in there?

Not too strong... they're tucked behind a rock some too. I'm going to turn the bubble down some

Just now, A.Berry said:

Not too strong... they're tucked behind a rock some too. I'm going to turn the bubble down some

Ok, try that and see what happens overnight. 

You've been reading 0 on ammonia now, right?