Coral Vue Hydros

Reef Jar Project *Breaking down and moving to rimless*

A.Berry

natalia_la_loca

+1 on ammonia question. I assume it's zero if your goby is happy, but worth asking.

Your premixed water from the big box store--is it Natural Sea brand? I've heard of people having issues with that water.

finally, how high is your light above the waterline?

if all factors check out, I would just continue your normal routine of feedings and water changes (what % are you doing?) and wait.

So far the ammonia hasn't gotten above the safe block on my test strips (really need to get better test strips). The water is imagitarium brand. The light is about 2-3 inches off the water with the lid on.

Im feeding pellets the day after water changes, a quarter cube of mysis shrimp 2 days later, pellets 2 after that, then quarter cube a couple hours before water change. I'm doing about 95% (I'm trying to leave enough in goby burrow to not stress it too bad)

i dropped the flow flow and everything is opening back up 

image.jpg

natalia_la_loca

Ammonia or nitrite could be a factor given that feeding schedule plus relative newness of system. Although I would expect goby to be in poor shape if that were the case. Light level is probably ok.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Ammonia or nitrite could be a factor given that feeding schedule plus relative newness of system. Although I would expect goby to be in poor shape if that were the case. Light level is probably ok.

Ok maybe I should slow down on the feeding a bit... the goby has some tub anyways haha

• Like 1

That looks like an infection. 

I would do an immediate dip in something like lugol's or CoralRx. 

Do you have any dips on hand?

Most of them have instructions on them. 

For a simple lugol's dip, I do 1 cup tankwater, 1-2 drops lugols (2 in this case), leave it in for 5 mins or so, then swish around in dip before rinsing and returning to tank.

Good luck!!

No I don't have anything and no car seats to run to the store with! Shoot! Think it'll be fine until morning? I need to get more water anyways

I think it'll be dead by morning if you don't dip it. 

Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

I haven't done a standard peroxide dip in a while, so if someone else with more recent experience tells you different do what they say, but if it were me and I had to act now and all I had was peroxide, I would mix either one part peroxide to one part tankwater or 1 part peroxide to 2 parts tankwater and dip for about 3 mins. 

24 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think it'll be dead by morning if you don't dip it. 

Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

I haven't done a standard peroxide dip in a while, so if someone else with more recent experience tells you different do what they say, but if it were me and I had to act now and all I had was peroxide, I would mix either one part peroxide to one part tankwater or 1 part peroxide to 2 parts tankwater and dip for about 3 mins. 

I'll have a look. Any other ideas in the mean time? What might have brought this on?

10 minutes ago, A.Berry said:

Should I go ahead and quarantine?

If you can't dip the frag, you should quarantine it til you can. 

If you can dip it, I wouldn't worry about quarantine. 

Am I remembering correctly that it hasn't opened fully for a little while?

This one has actually opened pretty fully daily. I got in touch with the guy from my local reef club that I got the drag from. He suggested siphon the infected head and remove it at the branch. He said he's never been successful in treating it. it seems that isolating it is best and it's frogspawn specific.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry for lack of updates, I've been getting ready to move! Anyways, everything is doing great! Frogspawn is pushing out new heads, polyps growing good, richordia is wandering around and the leather is happy! Oh! And the zoa has finally opened!image.jpg.2d4ef7446840f30c29c93911e7a2e4image.jpg.cd496cd9a3cbf3d87a637d8170e4c7

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, A.Berry said:

Hey everyone, sorry for lack of updates, I've been getting ready to move! Anyways, everything is doing great! Frogspawn is pushing out new heads, polyps growing good, richordia is wandering around and the leather is happy! Oh! And the zoa has finally opened!image.jpg.2d4ef7446840f30c29c93911e7a2e4image.jpg.cd496cd9a3cbf3d87a637d8170e4c7

Hooray!! Hope you have a great move, make sure to stop by and give us an update once you get settled in!!

I'm back! Move was successful overall, didn't lose anything! Only problem I'm currently having is my neon green mushroom hasn't been doing so hot for the last little bit and I have some green growth below the sand line. Any ideas on that?

Otherwise everything Else  is healthy and happy! Zoas are opening, toadstool is shedding again but had been sticking its little green polyps out, the other mushrooms and ricordea look great if not out of place (need to stick the richordia down). Best of all the frog spawn is doing amazing! Even has a few new buds popping up since I removed that diseased head.

Now I'm starting to get the itch for some new corals! I'm thinking some new zoas or mushrooms but brighter colors. 

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

• Like 1

Looking nice!  Glad the move went well.  Legendary Corals has a sale going on for a couple weeks, I just ordered and will get my stuff Tuesday! :happydance:

• 4 weeks later...

Picking up some new stuff from Austin aqua farm this week :) picked them out Saturday but didn't want to drive them to corpus and back. Also grabbed some stuff for a buddy from work who is trying his hand at a pico jar, hopefully he'll make a thread on here too. I'll be posting pics as soon as the new stuff is in :) definitely need to do some aquascaping in the jar, it's got a couple little blooms in it and the richordia keeps moving

in more interesting news, I have a new experiment based on a kit I saw online that my wife and I both wanted. I'll be making a thread later this week on that too, stay tuned!imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

image.jpg

• Like 1
aviator300
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, A.Berry said:

So the lack of filtration is ok since everyone does 80-100% water changes weekly? I'm looking forward to a challenge but I've been a little bit spoiled with my El Natural tank. I want to post a pic of it but I don't think I've hit a minimum post number to be able to. Any ideas in central Texas of good LFS's? I know of 1 in Waco, and a handful in Austin but that's about it.

I've never heard of a minimum number of posts needed to post pics?

New arrivals! Got a pretty big zoa colony, though I don't know what type (purple with orange fringes), 2 green shrooms, a drag or neon green polyp that's very cool under the light, and a rock flower anemone. I've read a lot about them and I'm excited to get one! 

my hermit nit crab is currently molting and I'm trying to get my nomadic richordia to stay put so the orange sack will be coming off soon. I do have a bit of cloudiness in the water but the ammonia levels are low and I poured the water through my macro algae, so I'm thinking it got a little bit excited and clouded it up. I'll do a small water change tomorrow if it hasn't cleared up any. Over all I'm very pleased and excited with the new additions :)

• Like 1

Scratch that on the anemone, came in this morning and it was on the floor of the tank falling apart and bleached. Time for a water change!

3 hours ago, A.Berry said:

Scratch that on the anemone, came in this morning and it was on the floor of the tank falling apart and bleached. Time for a water change!

Oh no!  Sorry about your nem, what a bummer!  Glad you caught it in time to clean it out, though.