Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Show off you favorite/prized fish!

NinjaMask

Almost everyone has that one fish that they hold near and dear to their hearts, either because of beauty, a quirky personality, or just being bulletproof. Feel free to post images and tell why the fish is your favorite!

Here is my "madonna" clown. I've had this fish for almost 4 years. I had a pair that both had the same markings but sadly one jumped :(

It was a mix of a picasso and black onyx and I absolutely love this fish!

DSC_0132_zps21d01e22.jpg

Here is my "madonna" clown. I've had this fish for almost 4 years. I had a pair that both had the same markings but sadly one jumped :(

Lost a blacker ice last night to the carpet surfing hobby. Had it a full 4 days. :( Building a lid tonight.

that clown is awesome!

Thanks, I love him!

Lost a blacker ice last night to the carpet surfing hobby. Had it a full 4 days. :( Building a lid tonight.

That is how my whole top business started lol.

I only have 4 fish, two are clowns, two are gumdrops (in QT) they are all my favourite. but the fish I had before a neon goby, frickin adorable. I loved that little guy.

that's awesome metrokat. LbulletM,does your other clown pick at his fins? I've been looking at a long fin for a while and they seem really cool

Not yet! Although this one has only been in since Saturday. I lost one to the siren song of the gnarly carpet waves last week. He was in there four days. Also no nipping though. I went the safe route and got the long fin from a frag tank it had been alone in (so probably turning female if it hasn't already) and sure to get a juvenile mate to facilitate the long fin becoming the female. She chases the new phantom around some. I also have a Potter's Angel that swims around beside the long fin and hasn't nipped at all.

Not yet! Although this one has only been in since Saturday. I lost one to the siren song of the gnarly carpet waves last week. He was in there four days. Also no nipping though. I went the safe route and got the long fin from a frag tank it had been alone in (so probably turning female if it hasn't already) and sure to get a juvenile mate to facilitate the long fin becoming the female. She chases the new phantom around some. I also have a Potter's Angel that swims around beside the long fin and hasn't nipped at all.

Now that I'm on a computer instead of my phone, I want to clarify:

This was all a case of serendipity. I did not intentionally plan on the male-female pairing I ended up choosing. I saw the long fins on SA's storefront website (http://www.coralreeftn.com/shop.php) and fell in love. Knew I wanted one, but thought they were wayyyyyy too expensive (having now spent $70+ on all three and a half of my fish, I realize how naive I was). I saw my long fin at the lfs that I visit every time I go to Nashville about an hour and a half from my house. It was all alone in a tank with high end frags for $99. I let reason take over and went with my instinct that it was too much for a single fish. BUT, I thought about that little fish all week. I just happened to be in Nashville two weekends in a row and the clown was still there the following week, so I guiltily - with my wife's reluctant (read: This is like the sixth time we've been at this store just to look and I want to get out as quickly as possible) permission - bought her and she's been a happy resident since 1/28.

While my situation was purely accidental, I would definitely go my route and make sure the long fin is the larger (more aggressive) female, just to curb any possible nipping tendencies.

That being said, I've made posts here and on another forum asking people about their long fin clowns and have gotten no responses. I'm convinced that I've read 99% of the available literature online as well. As far as I can tell, the whole "the long fins will entice more nipping. Long fin clowns are unnatural and bad. They can't swim normally due to their long fins. It's cruel to breed this deformity. Rabble, rabble, rabble" is pure conjecture. In my three weeks of observation, I have noticed no negatives to the "deformity" (if we're honest, I guess that is what it is). In fact, my long fin clown swims more gracefully than my other two "normal" clowns, and makes use of the full tank including swimming into the power head. She can turn on a dime and is a voracious eater. Most of the threads I've been able to find start out with one or two people having an opinion on whether they like or dislike the fish, then someone brings up cruelty and an inability to swim or a higher chance of nipping, and then the entire thread jumps on the wagon and echos the sentiment that they are bad or in some way morally objectionable.

All-in-all, I don't regret my purchase at all, despite the haters.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up one of my top 3 favorite fish i've always wanted to keep.  Absolutely in love with this guy.  He was sitting in my LFS for months before coming home with me so I'm fairly confident he's happy and healthy.  Eats like a pig that's for sure.  Blotched anthias.  With my black widow bta photobombing there in the background.

0BF83951-0046-4135-B9BF-16F517EC4264.jpg

1 hour ago, Renstar said:

I picked up one of my top 3 favorite fish i've always wanted to keep.  Absolutely in love with this guy.  He was sitting in my LFS for months before coming home with me so I'm fairly confident he's happy and healthy.  Eats like a pig that's for sure.  Blotched anthias.  With my black widow bta photobombing there in the background.

I love these!!! So cute. 

WOW! Nice fish gang!

All I have is this little guy....

peppermint.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Just Kidding...........................................    :lol:

4 hours ago, Renstar said:

That is my favorite fish, but im to cheap to take the risk and buy it lol. Also where did you get that nem?

That is my favorite fish, but im to cheap to take the risk and buy it lol. Also where did you get that nem?

Picked it up from a local hobbiest.  I'm a big nem fan.  Hoping to add a couple high end nems next month once they're ready.

4 hours ago, Renstar said:

Picked it up from a local hobbiest.  I'm a big nem fan.  Hoping to add a couple high end nems next month once they're ready.

Idk where your located but there is a guy in socal that has some amazing rare nems I can send you a link if pm if you want 

Archived