Pod Your Reef

Ricordea Dominated Pico - Spec III or Evo V?

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

So I am wanting to start an office tank in the next couple of months and I am set on it being a Ricordea dominated tank. I am just now starting to do my research and have narrowed it down to two tanks. The Fluval Spec III or the EVO V.

With the Spec III I was planning on upgrading to a PAR 30 bulb or the Finnex Ray2 LED strip. As for flow I was thinking of keeping it stock since it will only be mushrooms. If I added a fish it would be a single Green Clown Goby or a single Citron Goby. Thoughts?

With the EVO V my plan was to keep the tank as stock as possible. Figuring the only upgrades would be media. Hoping the flow and the lights would suffice for mushrooms. Same plan with stocking the tank but maybe add a shrimp or a second fish. Possibly a small Blenny (suggestions?) or a Red Finned Goby.

As for heaters which would be good for each model?

Any thoughts or input would be helpful as I do my research.

Thanks

I have the spec 5 on my desk currently, it is freshwater but I love the dimensions. Im actually looking into a larger peninsula tank now for my reef tank. I think you would be very happy with the dimensions of the evo and it would give you more room for the shrooms!

As for heaters I have always used cobalt neotherms, so I think a 25w or 50w would fit in the rear chamber (might have to use a different media basket.

I don't have any personal experience with these tanks, but the Evo looks like an upgraded version of the Spec V?  They're both sharp looking tanks, but I find that I personally prefer the wider dimensions over taller ones.  Plus, that gives you more room to pack things in so you don't have to worry about upgrading or whatnot as soon.  I'm also partial to 5 gallon tanks (the standard 5.5 has been my favorite for a long time). ;)

Spec 3 or evo 5 both would be fine. If you go with evo 5, you'll have more choice in fish. Stock pump would be fine. 

I would advice to have some caution with Par 30 bulbs. They are pretty awesome in what the provide (I have kept sps with them in one of my pico). But, rico would require slow acclamation. They can take strong light, but you have to ramp it up slowly, else they can bleach.

If you can afford, my vote will be with A80. You are likely to introduce coral in multiple steps.. you will be able to control the intensity lot better... multiple times,

I maintain a fluval spec 3. I dont know if in-tank has any compatible media basket. I use aqueon HoB filter. All stock filtration is swapped with LR rubble. Chemipure blue + filter floss is on HoB filter.

Archived