Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Red Sea Reefer 170 Return Pump

Cscultho

What do you recommend:

1. Sicce 2.0 pump

2. Sicce 3.0 pump

I want to ensure i have enough flow to move the water and keep the fish a coral happy. I also plan to add another supplementary pump in the tank but still unsure which to go with.

thanks.

I recommend looking into DC pumps. I had a Sicce and wasn't happy with the amount of sound it made and ended up replacing it.

I was under the impression the Sicce pumps were very quiet? What brand DC pump do you use that is quieter?

I have used a Waveline 2500 and Ecotech Vectra M1, both were significantly quieter than the Sicce. I tried 2 Syncra 2.0 and both had a rattle that wouldn't stop, cover on or off. Others have had much better luck with them, my results may be atypical.

I use the Sicce 2.0 pump in my Reefer 170, its silent and does the job. But if you want more more gph go with the 3.0.

But I would check the recommended gph for the reefer 170 before you decide. Both are the same dimensions.

Red Sea recommends 530gph.

I use the Sicce 2.0 pump in my Reefer 170, its silent and does the job. But if you want more more gph go with the 3.0.

But I would check the recommended gph for the reefer 170 before you decide. Both are the same dimensions.

Jebao dct 4000.

Make sure you buy extra impellers, they can be had on amazon for like $10-15. I have one on my 40g right now, it's pretty silent, but I also have mine set at the lowest setting. Why I recommend buying extra impellers? Well, I've gone through 2 DCT4000. The first one kept stalling after 8 months, so I purchased a new one thinking the pump went bad. Turns out is wasn't, as I tried the new pump's impeller on the old pump and it worked like new. :)

Another one for the DCT 4000. I'm ordering one right now to replace a Sicce 2.5. Socce is very picky about placement and noise you have to get your plumbing just right for it to be even close to quiet.

If you want the 2.5 TA a good return pump and I will post it in the classifieds here soon after the 4000 comes (I expect)

On 2/8/2017 at 11:16 PM, Asureef said:

Jebao dct 4000.

Make sure you buy extra impellers, they can be had on amazon for like $10-15. I have one on my 40g right now, it's pretty silent, but I also have mine set at the lowest setting. Why I recommend buying extra impellers? Well, I've gone through 2 DCT4000. The first one kept stalling after 8 months, so I purchased a new one thinking the pump went bad. Turns out is wasn't, as I tried the new pump's impeller on the old pump and it worked like new. :)

would the DCT 4000 be overkill for my red sea reefer 170?  

Why not just use what Red Sea recommends? More flow through the sump isn't necessarily a good thing. I like to give the water a chance to get treated and not have to worry about bubbles returning to the display without relying on mechanical filtration to defeat them. You are better off increasing the flow in the display with supplementary pumps not increasing sump turnover. I am running an Eheim compact+ 2000 and it's silent. 

My sicce 2.0 has no noises.  They are a pump so they all vibrate, I would just avoid things touching so that noises will be kept to a minimum or something being loose. 

On 2/19/2017 at 9:32 AM, Cscultho said:

would the DCT 4000 be overkill for my red sea reefer 170?  

The flow is adjustable, lowest setting would probably work just fine.  

charlesgage
On 2/21/2017 at 0:43 AM, Asureef said:

The flow is adjustable, lowest setting would probably work just fine.  

I have a Dcs 5000 in mine I can run anywhere from about 3-7. 

it is quiet but there is some motor noise of a different pitch than the ac pumps. Can't beat the price and with all the headroom you can manifold off some reactors and refugia lines. 

On 2/8/2017 at 11:16 PM, Asureef said:

Jebao dct 4000.

My distributor sent me a new impeller via text message for mine. Hopefully if yours failed that fast they replaced under warranty. 

Archived