Coral Vue Hydros

Kyles IM Lagoon 25 build thread

KyleAwesome

EDIT: 2-19-17 Added some new FTS, edited live stock list, 

Hello Everyone,

I’m finally getting around to making a build thread for me new IM Lagoon 25! I spent the past few weekends building a (shitty) stand, getting the hardware setup and last night I migrated all of the livestock over. Not sold on the aquascape but I didn’t want to cause too much chaos last night.

Equipment list:

· IM Lagoon 25

· 2x Kessil A80’s w/ controller and goosenecks

· Stock pump (211gph) + spinstream nozzle on side 1

· Aquatop SWP820 (237gph) on side 2

· IM custom caddy with sponge, carbon and purigen on side 1

· IM custom caddy with sponge, and phosguard on side 2

· 2 random heaters I had lying around (can’t remember branding off hand)

· AutoAqua Smart ATO

· DIY 1/4th plastic mesh lid

· 1500VA UPS

Livestock:

· Pair of Ocellaris Clowns

·Banggai Cardinalfish

·Yellow watchman goby

· Various snails + hermits for the CUC

· Lots of softies and some LPS (pink goni, hammer, blastos, acan, kenya tree, xenia, ricordea, rhodactis, discosoma, zoas/palys and some others I’m forgetting)

I’m not sure what else I’m going to add fish wise, but I’m thinking possibly two banggai cardinals, maybe a shrimp + goby pair. Many many more inverts to come however.

Here is the tank was it was

7obkldA.jpg

Updated FTS: 2-19-17 This is shot without any of the blues

9fxt5Ei.jpg

This is the closest I could get to what the tank looks like at its normal light settings

qAtYXxP.jpg

Shot of the middle rock with my pink goni, its my favorite piece (please excuse the upset acan, I've been moving them around a lot today.)

uZMilZp.jpg

New torch that the wife picked out

FzFtTIY.jpg

Much more to come.

Thanks!

EDIT: 2-19-17 expanded a bit on the stand, added some painted photos

Quick post before heading off to dinner with the wife.

Picked up this beautiful green tip hammer, a med. size torch, some zoas and palys. Also picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp and while at the LFS the Mrs. fell in love with a yellow watchman and banggai cardinal.

One of the biggest frustrations I had with setting up this tank was the stand. I didnt want to spend $300 on a particle board IM stand. I thought about the JBJ (in hindsight I should have gone that route), considered picking up a kitchen base cabinet but in the end I decide on building one. I went with a modified rocket engineer design, 1x3 poplar for the top and bottom "boxes" braced twice in the center up top and once down below. The legs are 3 pieces of 1x2 poplar glued and screwed, top is 1" plywood, sanded and leveled, sides are 1/2" plywood also glued and screwed to the frame. I added a removable shelf and a removable subfloor. I was originally going to hinge the door but decided on simply using a mirror hanger from home depot. Painted in DTM acrylic. Not the best looking thing I've ever built, but it will do for now. 

OflynQ2.jpg

dTfuemt.jpg

gvWuQKR.jpg

ZI8bbIl.jpg

I edited the first two posts of this thread with more info and pictures. The last two weekends the wife has been in the mood to go see Jeff at Cuttlefish and Corals here in PDX (If you're ever around Portland I highly suggest checking them out) and as always he hooked us up big time. Got a beautiful long tentacle torch, this amazing neon green branching hammer, 5-6 different zoa and paly frags and the feather duster my wife wanted (its cool I suppose, I'm not really sure where to put it) and some GSP I'm trying to grow on the back wall.

Everybody seems to be doing well except an acan frag thats pissed I've been moving him around, but he'll come around I'm sure.  

3 hours ago, Kyl said:

Nice work on the tank. How have you found the performance of the A80's?

Thanks! I dig em, I think they're great for this application.Anything larger than an IM10 and you'll need multiples, for long shallow tanks, put one every 12-18 inches I think they'd do great. I'm running mine from noon till 10pm. I'll probably work to slowly raise it, but right now I never run them past 25% intensity. 

...And I had to pull that acan frag, started loosing some serious tissue yesterday. I threw it in the hospital tank but I dont have much faith it'll come out the other side. I thought it was far enough away from that torch, but I guess that wasnt the case. 

Everyone else except my zenia are doing well, and I think they're upset I'm running alot of phosguard and purigen. Thinking of picking up a reef octopus NS80 and backing down on the chemical filtration. Water parms are fine but I know I'm feeding a lot more now with the two additional fish

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Have you considered dosing an iodine supplement to help out your xenia? Sorry to hear about the acan!

You know, I havent really! I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion. I guess I've always kind of assumed you cant really kill it, so I figured eventually it will sort itself out, but some lugols might not be a bad idea! I've kind of fallen off the dosing wagan as I've been using AquaVitro Salinity salt mix, oh the intricacies of complex closed systems.

I just placed an order at MarineDepot for the Reef Octopus NS80, curious to see how that will work out. 

On 2/21/2017 at 11:29 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Yeah, Xenia LOVES iodine! Maybe Marine Depot can add some to your order before it ships ;) 

On 2/21/2017 at 5:19 PM, Kyl said:

Be careful with Lugols, very easy to over-dose in nano tanks.

Xenis is still bummed out, but I've lowered my lighting intensity (peaks at 20% intensity) and atleast now it doesnt look like its going to disintegrate. With that said I've done a bunch of research on iodine/iodate species and I'm hesitant to begin dosing without being able to specifically test the concentration present. HOWEVER the skimmer arrived today, and yes the instructions are absolute garbage but I'm hopeful I can get it working. I plan on pulling the phosguard and installing the skimmer tonight or tomorrow, I'll leave the phosguard out until the levels are detectable then see how things are going. 

Archived