Cultivated Reef

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

It's been a while since I updated. 

Since then, I have discovered AEFWs in my tank. I dipped a frag and chunked its base hoping I could stem the issue there. No luck. Yesterday, I found bite evidence on two other acros. Dipped and chunked the base as well. I am converting my 2nd grow out tank that's been cycling into a QT tank, which means I'm ditching the LEDs I planned to use and will be getting a T5 fixture instead. 

Now, for some questions - Can I use the LR that's been curing in my sump to add stability and bacteria to my new tank? Or should I not risk it. I can't imagine why AEFW would be down in my sump, but you never know... Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help me out here. 

30 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Thanks. Such is the life of a reefkeeper, just full of setbacks lol. 

To freaking true.  Especially for this N00B

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I clipped and dipped all my acros. Some browned out, some still look good. It was painful scraping off all the encrusted parts... Lost a good 3"x2" section of the pink lemonade because of that. 

Pic of the newly mounted acros before they go to my LFS for holding. 

hHIzDKd.jpg?1

• Like 2

Dunno, lol. They're all at the lfs. Have a bet going on with the store owner. If he can get them to double in size by the end of 8 weeks, then he gets to frag each in half and keep em. 

We'll see. They went through 3 rounds of dipping. I saw a little bit of necrosis on the tip of the kat while we were putting them into the store display. :( 

12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

sunny Ds are the best.  how are your acros doing?

On 4/13/2017 at 7:39 AM, pokerdobe said:

It's been a while since I updated. 

Since then, I have discovered AEFWs in my tank. I dipped a frag and chunked its base hoping I could stem the issue there. No luck. Yesterday, I found bite evidence on two other acros. Dipped and chunked the base as well. I am converting my 2nd grow out tank that's been cycling into a QT tank, which means I'm ditching the LEDs I planned to use and will be getting a T5 fixture instead. 

Now, for some questions - Can I use the LR that's been curing in my sump to add stability and bacteria to my new tank? Or should I not risk it. I can't imagine why AEFW would be down in my sump, but you never know... Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help me out here. 

You have flatworms with two leopard wrasses in the tank?! :blink:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Yep! 3 Leopards, 1 Carpenter's Flasher. 

Wow! Lazy fish. My one leopard demos anything that looks vaguely flatworm shaped!

• Like 1

maybe a pink Cadillac, reef raft olympus. also here are a couple fb pages if you dont know about them. for sps robert cortez is local to me and his sps tanks are absolutely ridiculous he auctions off frags on here and always gives out freebies.   

then this one is a good one for those zoas your looking for. HERE 

nice collection! 

• Like 2
ninjamyst
4 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

5 per polyp for the Sunny D. Retail they seem to go for about 10 per polyp around here. 

that's a great price you are getting for them.  people around here wants to pay $1 a polyp.  sigh.

• Like 1
pokerdobe
3 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

that's a great price you are getting for them.  people around here wants to pay $1 a polyp.  sigh.

Oh I definitely get those people as well. I just ignore them. Sometimes those people come around when they realize everyone else is selling for 10 per polyp. No loss if they don't. 

Had someone tell me my WWC purple monster frags were too pricey... I had it at 25 per polyp. 

• Like 1

those dogs are awesome. since i can't find smaller huskies this or a frenchie may be my next dog. does it do well in the heat? and does yours like water?

pokerdobe
6 minutes ago, Shoob1e said:

those dogs are awesome. since i can't find smaller huskies this or a frenchie may be my next dog. does it do well in the heat? and does yours like water?

Well, I live in Texas, so he doesn't have much of a choice on the heat. I will say he seems so much more lively when it's colder, but he'll still play outside regardless of the temperature. As for water, he loves water. I can't water the lawn or garden without him racing out to play. Took him out to the beach for the first time a couple of weeks ago and he darted into the surf like he was some kind of penguin. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Well, I live in Texas, so he doesn't have much of a choice on the heat. I will say he seems so much more lively when it's colder, but he'll still play outside regardless of the temperature. As for water, he loves water. I can't water the lawn or garden without him racing out to play. Took him out to the beach for the first time a couple of weeks ago and he darted into the surf like he was some kind of penguin. 

that's awesome and mostly what i've read about them in the past. sounds great!

• 2 weeks later...

So I went out deep sea fishing and caught my limit of vermillion snapper and perhaps a dozen lane snapper. Turns out almost every one of them was a female, which I found out when I was gutting and cleaning. Question is, can I use the eggs from the snapper to feed my fish? I froze the eggs for the time being. 

• Like 1
North Borders

How did you go about fragging your zoas off that colony rock? I have a similar rock I want to trim up for more species, but not sure the best way to go about it. 

• pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS