Cultivated Reef

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

mitten_reef
On 7/17/2020 at 11:25 PM, pokerdobe said:

Trying out this instagram linking for the first time. 

12 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I swung by Austin today to run some errands and I met up with FarmerTy... and walked away with the TSA dragonfruit. Add the two other acros from my LFS... I have a problem...

Ugh, in other news, some zoas. 

Total insanity in these last couple of posts. 

look forward to some preview of the acros. Did you get to see farmerty’s operation/tanks? Or is he not accepting guests? 

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Total insanity in these last couple of posts. 

look forward to some preview of the acros. Did you get to see farmerty’s operation/tanks? Or is he not accepting guests? 

Unfortunately, we met in public - maybe next time I'll get to see his operations. Crazy to think I used to live 10-15 minutes down the road from him. 

I have seen pictures he's sent me - it's pretty robust from what I can tell. 

• Like 1

I can't stress enough how much I think the Pink Lemonade is a must have for every acro collector. It is very tolerant of a wide range of parameters and grows very well. My PL is probably one of the centerpieces to my tank. 

443512707_PinkLemonade-03_18_2020.thumb.jpg.51b45abe3ecc4dcb45cf35593bff0ba8.jpg

• Like 6

I love that coral............now if SPS would just love me a little bit the world would be a better place............. :biggrin: 

Nice pic! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

I love that coral............now if SPS would just love me a little bit the world would be a better place............. :biggrin: 

Nice pic! 

I don't think my SPS love me either. I just keep trying harder. They have to reciprocate one day right?

• Like 1

Awesome picture, amazing corals, and, as always, stunning tank. I love when acro connoisseurs give these type of recommendations; specifically, well-known, tried-and-true, must-haves (not necessarily the most hyped micro frags of the moment). I've never had, nor really considered the PL, but I may have to go out and find a piece now. Love to hear your other "must haves."

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Awesome picture, amazing corals, and, as always, stunning tank. I love when acro connoisseurs give these type of recommendations; specifically, well-known, tried-and-true, must-haves (not necessarily the most hyped micro frags of the moment). I've never had, nor really considered the PL, but I may have to go out and find a piece now. Love to hear your other "must haves."

Thanks! I don't know if I qualify as a connoisseur, but I'm more than willing to give out my opinions 😄 

I've been asked this question by a couple other people as well and I was going to write up an evaluation of all the acros I had experience with - but if someone were to ask for my top 5 acros today, it'd probably look something like this:

• Pink Lemonade
  • SC Orange Passion
  • Vivid Confetti
  • Oregon Tort
  • Strawberry Shortcake

If someone were to ask me 5 acros to skip, it'd look something like this:

• Flavor of the month tenuis
  • ARC Fireworks
  • Red Dragon
  • TCK Pikachu
  • Jawdropper (Other than for collection pieces, it's overrated compared to price)

There's definitely a lot more in between, but I'll get to those soon, hopefully. Maybe. If I'm not being too lazy. 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Thanks! I don't know if I qualify as a connoisseur, but I'm more than willing to give out my opinions 😄 

I've been asked this question by a couple other people as well and I was going to write up an evaluation of all the acros I had experience with - but if someone were to ask for my top 5 acros today, it'd probably look something like this:

• Pink Lemonade
  • SC Orange Passion
  • Vivid Confetti
  • Oregon Tort
  • Strawberry Shortcake

If someone were to ask me 5 acros to skip, it'd look something like this:

• Flavor of the month tenuis
  • ARC Fireworks
  • Red Dragon
  • TCK Pikachu
  • Jawdropper (Other than for collection pieces, it's overrated compared to price)

There's definitely a lot more in between, but I'll get to those soon, hopefully. Maybe. If I'm not being too lazy. 

Love the list! I nearly completely agree with it... also I have been really good at getting the bottom five apparently (couldn't agree more about the ARC Fireworks... dud). My top five is pretty similar with a few tweaks:

• SC OP
  • OG Oregon Tort
  • ASD Rainbow
  • WD 
  • This spot is open for a red acro (confetti, malificent, Fire Dragon. heard good things about the Bill Murray)
  • Like 1
mitten_reef

I already posted this on my thread somewhere recently but why not put it here for the sake of comparing notes. 

I’m gonna go with all mid-range pieces (price-wise):

• oregon tort 
  • dragon (preferably any two-colored variant fire dragon, red Ferrari, needle in a haystack, Pac-Man)
  • tabling acro (e.g. PC superman, classic terra del fuego, wwc heartbreaker)
  • true yellow: Pink Floyd, Wolverine, and the likes. throw pink lemonade in this group too?
  • a two-toned Millie, ASD rainbow or any sunset Millie would probably work
  • bonus: a good ssc or a pearlberry (both of these are based on good photos I’ve seen online, never had direct experience with either yet)

I realized I ended up with 6 fairly generic groups up there, but to me, they’re all very unique and tried-and-true acros. For the “if you can find it cheaper than list price” ones, the list definitely includes:

• walt disney - ☑️
  • sc orange passion - ☑️
  • TGC cherry bomb - worth it?
  • Like 1

Since we're sharing our fav lists, here's mine:

1) SCOP

2) WWC Yellow Tips

3) Any non-brown millepora 😂

4) Hawkins Echinata

5) Green Slimer

Also, what are you doing to pull the yellow and pinks out of the PL? Mine has remained a greenish-yellow with pinkish brown polyps under white light. It's only under actinics + orange gel that I can get the intense yellows body and pink polyps.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

WD 

walt disney

Damn all of you who can keep the WD. WD hates me, even though I love it so much. I've tried on 3 separate occasions and it ends up in failure. Either little to no growth or it dies. 

GC cherry bomb - worth it?

Only if you like your lights super blue. Outside of actinics, it'll be mostly greyish body with pinkish polyps. Very dull under white lights. Or maybe I was just growing mine wrong. 

14 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Also, what are you doing to pull the yellow and pinks out of the PL? Mine has remained a greenish-yellow with pinkish brown polyps under white light. It's only under actinics + orange gel that I can get the intense yellows body and pink polyps.

Oh, that's totally an actinic shot - mine looks like this for 90% of the day. I'm not sure Pink Lemonade is really an appropriate name, as my wife tends to say it doesn't remind of her one. It's an acro I'd say falls under borderline yellow. I think the Pink Floyd is a much truer yellow than PL or Pikachu. 

77132485_PinkLemonade-11_02.2019-Small.thumb.jpg.8579e4d811dd89d3fc49472ae66fe2bd.jpg

• Like 4
mitten_reef
42 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Damn all of you who can keep the WD.

dont jinx me, I just got it. 

43 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Only if you like your lights super blue. Outside of actinics, it'll be mostly greyish body with pinkish polyps. Very dull under white lights. Or maybe I was just growing mine wrong. 

I like to watch my tank under Blue+ bulbs.  But I get what you're saying.  It's hard to get a blue coral that stay blue in whiter light, with the exception of the two ol school torts.  We'll see, it won't be a high priority then, will only get when the price is right.  

45 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

77132485_PinkLemonade-11_02.2019-Small.thumb.jpg.8579e4d811dd89d3fc49472ae66fe2bd.jpg

mine looks just like that when all 4 bulbs are on.  WIN, I'm doing something right, woohoo!  

1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

5) Green Slimer

very under-rated.  When do it right, it's probably the most iconic, outstanding, eye-catching piece in any tank.  hard to get it to look great in a nano scale tho.  But in your Fijicube, I bet you can make GS anchors the background nicely.

• Like 2

@mitten_reef @Cannedfish My opinions on the acros I've dealt with. 

• Acrolandia - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I think this tenuis is actually pretty nice - what's preventing it from being top tier is the price. 
  • ARC Fireworks - 🔥
    • Stay away. It's rather dull and doesn't translate well in white or blue lights. I'm not sure what voodoo the original sellers used, but I haven't seen a single Firework that looks like the retailer's mother.
  • ARC Master Yoda - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Unlike it's misleading cousin Fireworks, the Yoda is actually a pretty nice piece who's color translates well in white or blue. I don't see the resemblance to our green Jedi Master though...
  • ASD Rainbow Mille - 🔥🔥🔥
    • I'm in between for this one - various talks with people lead me to believe it's the same thing as RMF Acid Trip and JF Solar Flare. It colors nicely though. Fair for the price. 
  • BC Twilight Dragon - 🔥
    • The purple pink body gets lost against coralline or in deep blues. All you get are random yellow tips. The dragon body lends itself to being fragile and I swear I kept making tons of frags on accident. It got to a point where I couldn't give it away for free. 
  • Bonsai - 🔥🔥
    • In between 2 or 3. For the price, you should probably pick it up. 
  • Cali Tort - 🔥
    • There's better torts out there. 
  • FT Eternal Flame - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Nice pinks and green/blues. It's similar to Confetti, but with a different growth structure. Price makes it a toss up though. 
  • Green Slimer - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Debateably 5. It's a classic, hardy, and grows well. Any self respecting reefer should have at least one Green Slimer. 
  • JF Fox Flame - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Deep red/magenta body with bright yellow tips. Great price point and hardy. There's actually nothing to dislike about the Fox Flame and I greatly miss mine. 
  • JF Homewrecker - 🔥🔥🔥
    • For me, it was easier to color up than the WD. I'm not sure it's worth the price point - I would pull the trigger on a decent frag for about 100-150. A real frag size, not some booger. 
  • Katropora - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Another great piece for hardiness and color. Minty green body differentiates it and is near bulletproof. Suffers from the fact that it's close in color to ATL Shades of Fall and BC Rainbow In Spain. 
  • Matt V Envy - 🔥🔥🔥
    • Another designer tenuis. So far I haven't seen the reason why it's priced the way it is. Reminds me alot of a well colored WD. 
  • Miyagi Tort - 🔥🔥
    • A step up from Cali Tort. Still better torts out there. 
  • OLA Grimace - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Local piece - have been told it's very similar to Paletta Pink Tip. Good pricing, fast growth. Pinks contrast nicely and under actinics, polyps turn goldish. 
  • ORA Pearlberry - 🔥🔥🔥
    • A piece I wanted so badly to work for me, but doesn't. Very finicky for an acro that's been in the hobby for a long time. If you're confident in yourself, do it. Otherwise, pass for hardier, easier pieces. 
  • Oregon Tort - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I mean, do I really need to explain this one?
  • PC Rainbow - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Are there better rainbows? Yes. Are there better rainbows for 10 dollars? No. Low PAR requirements is another plus. The only con is the less than desirable growth structure. 
  • Red Dragon🔥🔥
    • Suffers from alot of the same problems that Twilight Dragon suffers from. The biggest issue for me is that it seems to get lost due to paler colors in whites and inability to pop in blues. It's also kind of sensitive due to it being a "Dragon."
  • Red Planet - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Another classic. Great tabling and a nice solid red. 
  • RR Firecracker - 🔥🔥🔥
    • To me, it's a more expensive, finicky Fox Flame. 
  • RR Pink Floyd - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I like it because it's more of a true yellow acro. Time in the hobby has made it more accessible as well. 
  • RR Rainbow Blossom - 🔥🔥🔥
    • It's ok. Nice colors, but they only come out in blues. If you like your lights whiter, it tends to just kind of blend in. 
  • RR The Vinh - 🔥🔥🔥
    • Personally, I actually really like this piece. Under high PAR, you lose everything but the purple tips. Objectively, it's a less bold Katropora. Between this and the Kat, get the Kat. 
  • RRC Jaw Dropper - 🔥🔥
    • 1000+ for no real reason. Even when you can pull all the colors, it's under actinics. Under whites, it's very pale and drab. 
  • SC Orange Passion - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Probably the only tenuis I will rate at 5. It holds its colors true under whites and looks even better under blues. It's hardy and grows relatively fast for a tenuis. 
  • Strawberry Shortcake - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • There's a ton of variation of shortcake. Find one, Get it. 
  • TCK Pikachu - 🔥
    • A big letdown in terms of color. It's really just green. 
  • TGC Cherry Bomb - 🔥🔥
    • Mostly greyish white with light pink colors under whites. Shines under actinics, but for the price they ask, get a rainbow blossom instead. 
  • TGC Foxy Lady - 🔥🔥
    • A worse version of Acrolandia. 
  • TGC Northern Crush - 🔥🔥
    • Basically the ARC Fireworks with a little more color. Slow and shines under actinics. Under whites, I forget it's there. 
  • Tierra Del Fuego - 🔥🔥🔥
    • To be honest, I'm not sure what the difference between this and red planet is. Other than I got charged more for it. 
  • Tri Color Paletta - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • It's a more colorful slimer really. 
  • Tyree Pink Lemonade - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • My bread and butter. It's not as yellow as some of the others, but it's yellow enough that it's not the green abomination that the Pikachu is. 
  • Tyree Pinky the Bear - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • As apty described, the poor man's Vivid Confetti. Under whites, I argue it's better than Confetti. It's also half the price or less of Confetti. 
  • UC Turquoise Tort - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I wanted to rate this as the same as the OG tort - but really, that's my personal bias. It's a nice bright turquoise that pops a little more than the OG tort. Disappears under blues though. 
  • Vivid Confetti - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Bright red/pink body, golden polyps. green undertones. 
  • Walt Disney - 🔥🔥🔥
    • I gave it 4. Then I took away a point because it doesn't want to be with me. 
  • Like 5
  • Wow 3
24 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

@mitten_reef @Cannedfish My opinions on the acros I've dealt with. 

• Acrolandia - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I think this tenuis is actually pretty nice - what's preventing it from being top tier is the price. 
  • ARC Fireworks - 🔥
    • Stay away. It's rather dull and doesn't translate well in white or blue lights. I'm not sure what voodoo the original sellers used, but I haven't seen a single Firework that looks like the retailer's mother.
  • ARC Master Yoda - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Unlike it's misleading cousin Fireworks, the Yoda is actually a pretty nice piece who's color translates well in white or blue. I don't see the resemblance to our green Jedi Master though...
  • ASD Rainbow Mille - 🔥🔥🔥
    • I'm in between for this one - various talks with people lead me to believe it's the same thing as RMF Acid Trip and JF Solar Flare. It colors nicely though. Fair for the price. 
  • BC Twilight Dragon - 🔥
    • The purple pink body gets lost against coralline or in deep blues. All you get are random yellow tips. The dragon body lends itself to being fragile and I swear I kept making tons of frags on accident. It got to a point where I couldn't give it away for free. 
  • Bonsai - 🔥🔥
    • In between 2 or 3. For the price, you should probably pick it up. 
  • Cali Tort - 🔥
    • There's better torts out there. 
  • FT Eternal Flame - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Nice pinks and green/blues. It's similar to Confetti, but with a different growth structure. Price makes it a toss up though. 
  • Green Slimer - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Debateably 5. It's a classic, hardy, and grows well. Any self respecting reefer should have at least one Green Slimer. 
  • JF Fox Flame - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Deep red/magenta body with bright yellow tips. Great price point and hardy. There's actually nothing to dislike about the Fox Flame and I greatly miss mine. 
  • JF Homewrecker - 🔥🔥🔥
    • For me, it was easier to color up than the WD. I'm not sure it's worth the price point - I would pull the trigger on a decent frag for about 100-150. A real frag size, not some booger. 
  • Katropora - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Another great piece for hardiness and color. Minty green body differentiates it and is near bulletproof. Suffers from the fact that it's close in color to ATL Shades of Fall and BC Rainbow In Spain. 
  • Matt V Envy - 🔥🔥🔥
    • Another designer tenuis. So far I haven't seen the reason why it's priced the way it is. Reminds me alot of a well colored WD. 
  • Miyagi Tort - 🔥🔥
    • A step up from Cali Tort. Still better torts out there. 
  • OLA Grimace - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Local piece - have been told it's very similar to Paletta Pink Tip. Good pricing, fast growth. Pinks contrast nicely and under actinics, polyps turn goldish. 
  • ORA Pearlberry - 🔥🔥🔥
    • A piece I wanted so badly to work for me, but doesn't. Very finicky for an acro that's been in the hobby for a long time. If you're confident in yourself, do it. Otherwise, pass for hardier, easier pieces. 
  • Oregon Tort - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I mean, do I really need to explain this one?
  • PC Rainbow - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Are there better rainbows? Yes. Are there better rainbows for 10 dollars? No. Low PAR requirements is another plus. The only con is the less than desirable growth structure. 
  • Red Dragon🔥🔥
    • Suffers from alot of the same problems that Twilight Dragon suffers from. The biggest issue for me is that it seems to get lost due to paler colors in whites and inability to pop in blues. It's also kind of sensitive due to it being a "Dragon."
  • Red Planet - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Another classic. Great tabling and a nice solid red. 
  • RR Firecracker - 🔥🔥🔥
    • To me, it's a more expensive, finicky Fox Flame. 
  • RR Pink Floyd - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I like it because it's more of a true yellow acro. Time in the hobby has made it more accessible as well. 
  • RR Rainbow Blossom - 🔥🔥🔥
    • It's ok. Nice colors, but they only come out in blues. If you like your lights whiter, it tends to just kind of blend in. 
  • RR The Vinh - 🔥🔥🔥
    • Personally, I actually really like this piece. Under high PAR, you lose everything but the purple tips. Objectively, it's a less bold Katropora. Between this and the Kat, get the Kat. 
  • RRC Jaw Dropper - 🔥🔥
    • 1000+ for no real reason. Even when you can pull all the colors, it's under actinics. Under whites, it's very pale and drab. 
  • SC Orange Passion - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Probably the only tenuis I will rate at 5. It holds its colors true under whites and looks even better under blues. It's hardy and grows relatively fast for a tenuis. 
  • Strawberry Shortcake - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • There's a ton of variation of shortcake. Find one, Get it. 
  • TCK Pikachu - 🔥
    • A big letdown in terms of color. It's really just green. 
  • TGC Cherry Bomb - 🔥🔥
    • Mostly greyish white with light pink colors under whites. Shines under actinics, but for the price they ask, get a rainbow blossom instead. 
  • TGC Foxy Lady - 🔥🔥
    • A worse version of Acrolandia. 
  • TGC Northern Crush - 🔥🔥
    • Basically the ARC Fireworks with a little more color. Slow and shines under actinics. Under whites, I forget it's there. 
  • Tierra Del Fuego - 🔥🔥🔥
    • To be honest, I'm not sure what the difference between this and red planet is. Other than I got charged more for it. 
  • Tri Color Paletta - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • It's a more colorful slimer really. 
  • Tyree Pink Lemonade - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • My bread and butter. It's not as yellow as some of the others, but it's yellow enough that it's not the green abomination that the Pikachu is. 
  • Tyree Pinky the Bear - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • As apty described, the poor man's Vivid Confetti. Under whites, I argue it's better than Confetti. It's also half the price or less of Confetti. 
  • UC Turquoise Tort - 🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • I wanted to rate this as the same as the OG tort - but really, that's my personal bias. It's a nice bright turquoise that pops a little more than the OG tort. Disappears under blues though. 
  • Vivid Confetti - 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
    • Bright red/pink body, golden polyps. green undertones. 
  • Walt Disney - 🔥🔥🔥
    • I gave it 4. Then I took away a point because it doesn't want to be with me. 

This needs to go into the library or a sticky for us sps noobs.. 😂.. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

This needs to go into the library or a sticky for us sps noobs.. 😂.. 

Haha, I'm not sure it's actually sticky material since it's all the subjective opinions of a biased reefer. 

1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

This. Is. Amazing. 

Aww shucks. I can settle for "This ain't bad."

3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

soooo my acros been fading in color.  Not sure if they are browning out or just fading....any tips?  Need more nutrients?  Less nutrients?  

Dare I ask - parameters? Typically fading or paling is due to a lack of nutrients, whereas browning is excessive nutrients or low PAR. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef
40 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

It's been so long, can't remember the last time I made frags. It was a funny feeling clipping a few for the locals. 

1074125078_DSC_15281-Edit.thumb.jpg.d4b25f48709d5540f5079d0774101fb2.jpg

Looks like pc rainbow?  Mine (from you) grows like weeds, even on the original plug 😄

• Like 2
On 7/24/2020 at 9:41 PM, mitten_reef said:

Looks like pc rainbow?  Mine (from you) grows like weeds, even on the original plug 😄

huh... i never really thought about it but the colors for pc rainbow and vivid confetti are basically the same..

It's confetti... but your questions now raises questions for me. 

• Like 2

Who's ready to play a fun game?

So here's the Vivid Confetti under daylight - still a very pretty coral, in my opinion. Nice reds and pinks. Maybe a slight hint of orange in the polyps. Take a good look at it, cause we're about to vendorize the shit out of it. 

746799017_VividConfettiReduced-07_30_2020.thumb.jpg.fcb70a615ad80d9f1e67740c92b3dd43.jpg

Here's the same coral, under deep blues with an orange filter. I won't lie, other than the structure, I wouldn't be able to tell you it was the same coral if I didn't know better. 

1817578343_VividConfettiBlueReduced-07_30_2020.thumb.jpg.5be1766512b5dd4fb727e628e61c9f07.jpg

Moral of the story? None really. I just wanted to show the differences in how the same coral appears under different lighting and filters. I won't fault anyone for liking one over the other. I like both. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Who's ready to play a fun game?

So here's the Vivid Confetti under daylight - still a very pretty coral, in my opinion. Nice reds and pinks. Maybe a slight hint of orange in the polyps. Take a good look at it, cause we're about to vendorize the shit out of it. 

746799017_VividConfettiReduced-07_30_2020.thumb.jpg.fcb70a615ad80d9f1e67740c92b3dd43.jpg

Here's the same coral, under deep blues with an orange filter. I won't lie, other than the structure, I wouldn't be able to tell you it was the same coral if I didn't know better. 

1817578343_VividConfettiBlueReduced-07_30_2020.thumb.jpg.5be1766512b5dd4fb727e628e61c9f07.jpg

Moral of the story? None really. I just wanted to show the differences in how the same coral appears under different lighting and filters. I won't fault anyone for liking one over the other. I like both. 

Neat.  Thanks for sharing that 

• Like 1

Honestly, both of these are really really good pictures! And this is an awesome job of illustrating the orange filter effects which that has frankly become the norm since the clip on gel filters have become so popular (to which I have been guilty of using). Although its fun (and not terrible in moderation), it's also important that people (especially new people in hobby) recognize that when you see blue sand, or blue egg crate, or blue fingers, or completely blown out saturation (especially in oranges) in a tank photo or vendor pic... maybe there is more to the photo than meets the eye. 

(On the other side of the coin there are certain corals that look amazing under white lights, but disappear / look terrible under heavy blues and a gel filter... I'm looking at you Oregon Tort and sun corals! Also this photo comparison would be a great thread to start after you start the acro review thread! 🙂 jk)

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Neat.  Thanks for sharing that 

No problem!

29 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Honestly, both of these are really really good pictures! And this is an awesome job of illustrating the orange filter effects which that has frankly become the norm since the clip on gel filters have become so popular (to which I have been guilty of using). Although its fun (and not terrible in moderation), it's also important that people (especially new people in hobby) recognize that when you see blue sand, or blue egg crate, or blue fingers, or completely blown out saturation (especially in oranges) in a tank photo or vendor pic... maybe there is more to the photo than meets the eye. 

(On the other side of the coin there are certain corals that look amazing under white lights, but disappear / look terrible under heavy blues and a gel filter... I'm looking at you Oregon Tort and sun corals! Also this photo comparison would be a great thread to start after you start the acro review thread! 🙂 jk)

I think we're all a little guilty of using orange filters - they make the corals look very interesting and I admit, looking at the cornucopia of colors is nice. 

Completely agree on the Oregon Tort... such a nice coral... needs to catch up with the times and fluoresce under blues. 

Oh man.... photo comparison would be huge... You have the nicer lens though soo.... 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

No problem!

I think we're all a little guilty of using orange filters - they make the corals look very interesting and I admit, looking at the cornucopia of colors is nice. 

Completely agree on the Oregon Tort... such a nice coral... needs to catch up with the times and fluoresce under blues. 

Oh man.... photo comparison would be huge... You have the nicer lens though soo.... 😄 

If you're interested I have a link laying around for like 12 gel filters you can place over your lense. (Something stupid cheap like $5, don't recall)

Using them you can actually *just* filter out blues and get things to look fairly true-to-life.

Honestly if the plate/plug isn't white, or the sand is blue, I ask for a different picture before buying XD

Would be kind of fun to compare "honest" gel filters, to whites, to blues, to crazy rave stick filters.

Unfortunately the pressure on prefab lense mnftr isn't to be accurate, but to "stand out".

• Like 1
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS