ReefCleaners.org

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

57 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

@pokerdobe - No idea how I missed this. Tank looks impeccable. Great stuff. 

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

That’s a lot of light 😃. I’ll move mine out of the shaded area. 

Definitely give it a shot - I wish I could help more, but I generally run overkill on my lighting.. so it's hard to find a low light area in my tank. 

• Like 1
On 2/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, Andreww said:

Such a nice tank. How do you find the dimensions?

I was thinking to do a custom tank when we move but this 750xxl looks too good for the price.

Ah sorry I missed this - busy weekend. 

Dimension wise, it's pretty decent, but I would personally like more depth and have the overflow moved to the corner or a ghost overflow. That being said, in terms of value vs a custom tank, it's spot on. The glass is crazy thick and the silicone job is nice and sharp. 

Some stuff I would change would be the stock plumbing though.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

love bartlett anthias but heard the male can be a real jerk.  has any of yours turn to male yet?  I have 3 lyretail and tempted to add 3 more evansi but my tank is too small for 6 anthias....

Out of all the anthias I've ever had, bartletts have the most propensity to turn male. Out of the 10 in my group, 3 are males. There seems to be a super dominant male and two sub dominants that fight for the 2nd place spot. I would agree that they're more aggressive than even lyretails in my experience. 

I wouldn't recommend bartletts in the typical 1 male, 2 female set up - what seems to be working out for me (knock on wood), is that there's 9 other anthias, which causes the typical aggression from the male to be very diluted. 

Yours is the 350 reefer? I think a 4ft tank is sufficient, provided there's a lot of flow, plus evansi are more docile compared to the lyretails and bartletts. I know some people would disagree, but flow and numbers is what works for me. Also, having an jerk achilles aids alot, as he will occasionally round all of them into a shoal. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Out of all the anthias I've ever had, bartletts have the most propensity to turn male. Out of the 10 in my group, 3 are males. There seems to be a super dominant male and two sub dominants that fight for the 2nd place spot. I would agree that they're more aggressive than even lyretails in my experience. 

I wouldn't recommend bartletts in the typical 1 male, 2 female set up - what seems to be working out for me (knock on wood), is that there's 9 other anthias, which causes the typical aggression from the male to be very diluted. 

Yours is the 350 reefer? I think a 4ft tank is sufficient, provided there's a lot of flow, plus evansi are more docile compared to the lyretails and bartletts. I know some people would disagree, but flow and numbers is what works for me. Also, having an jerk achilles aids alot, as he will occasionally round all of them into a shoal. 

I had a trio of bartletts before but they started killing each other off quickly.  I may get 3 evansi tomorrow since LFS has sale of $24 on them.  How many times a day are you feeding your anthias?  Ever think about mixing different species of anthias?  

38 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I had a trio of bartletts before but they started killing each other off quickly.  I may get 3 evansi tomorrow since LFS has sale of $24 on them.  How many times a day are you feeding your anthias?  Ever think about mixing different species of anthias?  

That would mirror my experience with a trio of bartletts. 

I have tried mixing species... It's a hit or miss. For a better chance of success, it's better to mix more aggressive types together, like Lyretails and bartletts, or shy ones like evansi and purple queens. 

Or if you're Chris Kriens, do whatever you want. 

• Haha 1

I guess I've never put a stock list:

1x Achilles Tang

1x Green Mandarin

2x Clowns

1x Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

1x Blue Flasher Wrasse

1x Diamondtail Flasher Wrasse

1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse

1x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse

10x Bartlett Anthias

2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1x Fire Shrimp

2x Porcelain Crabs

• Like 1
On 2/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, pokerdobe said:

Wow, that's pretty good. It is the Nuvo 16. 

My first tank Nuvo 16 😄.

I did spend a brief stint in a hand-me-down Eclipse 12 from a coworker and got hooked since.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I got mad at my wife for paying $5 for Amazon next day shipping after I went and bought a new fuge light for $70.  This hobby is the worst....

Sometimes I think of just selling it all. 50% of my after work stress would melt away. 

In other news, my 2 year old carpenter's wrasse jumped out, despite the artfully acrylic lid. Will be commissioning a new lid from elsewhere. Also, this morning, I couldn't find my dragon soul torch, so I am assuming it was knocked off and fell into the rock somewhere. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a question about your return line rfg nozzles and there direction. Do you have a lot of drainage from display into your sump when you turn off you return pump? I see your nozzles are a fair way under the water level. 

3 hours ago, Gtrain said:

Got a question about your return line rfg nozzles and there direction. Do you have a lot of drainage from display into your sump when you turn off you return pump? I see your nozzles are a fair way under the water level. 

I get a ton of drainage from my return. I've thought about installing a check valve... When I turn off my return pump, the water level in my sump rises to a few inches below the top of my sump. 

• Like 1
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS