ReefCleaners.org

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

On 8/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, ninjamyst said:

SPS sucking up all the calcium before coralline can

Is that a thing? Seriously asking. Always thought that being simpler in nature, coralline would be better at uptake?

Also, on another note, I lost 60% of my BC Twilight Dragon Colony to RTN. 🙃🙄

After deliberating on possible causes, I'm going to attribute this to a lack of sufficient flow to remove expelled toxins and bring in fresh oxygenated water. 

Parameters day of RTN

• Alk: 7.7
  • Ca: 395
  • Mg: 1350
  • NO3: 1
  • PO4: .083
  • S.G.: 37ppt

Alk reading on the previous 3 reads all ranged 7.3-7.7. 

The pieces I chopped off were of mixed success. About 75% of the chopped pieces survived. Debating on whether or not I want to keep it. Before anything goes back in that spot, I'll be adding additional powerheads to increase flow down that middle valley. 

On a more positive note, just picked up 3 Ventralis. 

• Like 2

sorry about the RTN.  The coralline comment is just a guess, based solely on the fact that they suck up lots of calcium.  But those ventralis must be nice!!!  IMO, they are the prettiest anthias, unlike the blotchy anthias

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

sorry about the RTN.  The coralline comment is just a guess, based solely on the fact that they suck up lots of calcium.  But those ventralis must be nice!!!  IMO, they are the prettiest anthias, unlike the blotchy anthias

Ah got it. Definitely viable, I've never had this problem when I was zoa/LPS dominant. 

RTN is part of the hobby and a mixed blessing. This opens up alot of room to place in new acros. I will have to keep an eye on my parameters as the piece was probably a good 7-8" x 4." 

Really excited about the ventralis! I hope they do ok in my tank... 

• Like 1

Your other anthias are doing great so they should be fine too.  I really like my trio of pyramid butterflies.  Highly recommend them for your tank since it's actually properly sized for them.  They are suppose to be pretty reef safe and so far, they have not picked at anything.  Aggressive eaters too and forcing me to feed 2-3 times a day now.  Also one of the few true schooling fish, like anthias.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Your other anthias are doing great so they should be fine too.  I really like my trio of pyramid butterflies.  Highly recommend them for your tank since it's actually properly sized for them.  They are suppose to be pretty reef safe and so far, they have not picked at anything.  Aggressive eaters too and forcing me to feed 2-3 times a day now.  Also one of the few true schooling fish, like anthias.  

That's awesome - glad they're doing well. I've considered butterflies as well (beyond my copperband), but I keep flipping between that and a pair of nice angels....

1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

That's awesome - glad they're doing well. I've considered butterflies as well (beyond my copperband), but I keep flipping between that and a pair of nice angels....

what kind of angels???  I thought most are not reef safe, especially with SPS.

4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

what kind of angels???  I thought most are not reef safe, especially with SPS.

A pair of bandits. From what I understand, as long as the acros in the tank are mature and colony sized, nibbling here and there won't negatively affect them. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Anyone looking for a Kat?

68552632_10157149615915743_5533718787099983872_n.jpg

Would love one...............but the 750 is still dry..............

You running sand in yours ? trying to figure out if I go bare or.....................

1 minute ago, spectra said:

Would love one...............but the 750 is still dry..............

You running sand in yours ? trying to figure out if I go bare or.....................

Alot more where that came from. Will have one when you're ready. 

I do have sand in mine, but it's a PITA to keep clean. I'd remove it, if it wasn't for the leopard wrasse. Oh, and the wife too, she thinks it won't look good without sand. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Anyone looking for a Kat?

68552632_10157149615915743_5533718787099983872_n.jpg

🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️🖐️

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Alot more where that came from. Will have one when you're ready. 

I do have sand in mine, but it's a PITA to keep clean. I'd remove it, if it wasn't for the leopard wrasse. Oh, and the wife too, she thinks it won't look good without sand. 

Thats my issue also................am a wrasse man :lol: have a blue star, radiant, melanurus and a black and yellow one............my chaoti bit the dust after a few years.............

Am thinking maybe glue a few rocks together and add some sand to them.............

4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Thats my issue also................am a wrasse man :lol: have a blue star, radiant, melanurus and a black and yellow one............my chaoti bit the dust after a few years.............

Am thinking maybe glue a few rocks together and add some sand to them.............

Sad to hear, those choati are beautiful. I am contemplating on getting one as well, but my leopard probably won't take too well to it...

It's a tough choice - but if wrasses are your thing, then I'd go ahead and just add it in. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Sad to hear, those choati are beautiful. I am contemplating on getting one as well, but my leopard probably won't take too well to it...

It's a tough choice - but if wrasses are your thing, then I'd go ahead and just add it in. 

My blue star and chaoti got along great.........the melunarus is the ass of the tank.............had a pencil wrasse and it went MIA.........well going through the sand it popped out and well the mel was on it like stink on shit..........poor fish didnt have a chance...........but the mel is such a great picker I cant get rid of it...........

I am sure some sand will go in  the new build just trying to figure it out...........maybe just make a corner with sand............

Two quick and totally random question....

1. Is your tank in the basement or 1st floor without a basement?  I so want a bigger tank but it has to go in my living room and I am worried about the weight on the floor.  I have a basement =(.
  2. Do you have a top on the tank?  If so, who made it?
24 minutes ago, spectra said:

My blue star and chaoti got along great.........the melunarus is the ass of the tank.............had a pencil wrasse and it went MIA.........well going through the sand it popped out and well the mel was on it like stink on shit..........poor fish didnt have a chance...........but the mel is such a great picker I cant get rid of it...........

I am sure some sand will go in  the new build just trying to figure it out...........maybe just make a corner with sand............

Lucky! My blue star annihilated the last choati I tried to introduce. I hear ya though... we all have that one fish we love/hate. 

20 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Two quick and totally random question....

1. Is your tank in the basement or 1st floor without a basement?  I so want a bigger tank but it has to go in my living room and I am worried about the weight on the floor.  I have a basement =(.
  2. Do you have a top on the tank?  If so, who made it?

1. 1st floor, no basement - sorry 😞

2. I do have a top - it's by clearview. I have some thoughts on it I'd be willing to share through PM. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS