inTank Media Baskets

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

6 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Did you cut it in half?

Yep. Was pretty anxious throughout the whole ordeal. 

5 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

my pink lemonade looks nothing like this!  where do I get a refund????

Give it time! I've recently gotten better control of my nutrients and have finally gotten some semblance of alk stability. 

Unsure if I mentioned this - added a 4th XR30 to my fixture a couple weeks ago. Additional light seems to be bringing out more yellows in the tip of my fox flame. 

For anyone that's curious, here's my current lighting set up:

Aquatic Life Hybrid Fixture, 60"

• 4 Radion Gen 4 XR30 Pro
  • 2 ATI Blue+ bulbs
  • 1 ATI Aquablue special bulb
  • 1 Giesemann Super Purple

Additional thoughts on the Aquatic Life Hybrid:

So after 10 months of owning this fixture, here's a collection of observations:

1. Really easy way to get a hybrid fixture. For anyone who has LEDs and has been contemplating T5, it's an easy transition
  2. Cost for value is easily up there (only if you already own the LED fixtures)
  3. Build quality is ok, but not on par with ATI or Giesemann. I have the 80w version and it seems a little flimsy sometimes
  4. Some design or part choices could be better - for example, the T5 cords come out on opposite ends and the cords are rather short. I have been told this issue has been rectified. Another issue is the T5 holder clips and end caps. I prefer the turn style end caps and not the push caps. The bulbs are held by clips. Coming from early adoption, the clips were coated with a rubber/plastic that warped off and stuck to the bulbs. Made the first bulb replacement really fun. 🙂 
  5. I really, really wish they had a 6 bulb version. Personal desire, not really a criticism. 

I think if ATI were to come out with an actively cooled, acrylic shielded hybrid fixture, I would immediately jump. Giesemann has their own version called the Stellar with slight enhancements, but lacking the active cooling I desire. 

• Like 1

Just a few weeks on owning the Kore 5 doser:

• Looks really nice, hardware feels like it's of good quality
  • Love have 5 dosing heads
  • I hate the software. Clunky and feels reminiscent of windows 95 era software
  • I hate the fact its connectivity is through bluetooth

spacer.png

• Like 2
On 3/7/2019 at 10:50 AM, pokerdobe said:

Just a few weeks on owning the Kore 5 doser:

• Looks really nice, hardware feels like it's of good quality
  • Love have 5 dosing heads
  • I hate the software. Clunky and feels reminiscent of windows 95 era software
  • I hate the fact its connectivity is through bluetooth

spacer.png

I had one of the original Kore 5s for like 6 years or so. I never really liked it, and I agree on the software. After it died recently I got a GHL 2.1 and I love it. The number one feature I like on the GHL is that it has buttons on the front that allow you to manually dose by just pressing a button. On the Kore 5, you must go to your PC, run the application, hope that it connects, then dose. 

Anyway, for its flaws, the Kore 5 was pretty reliable. All the time, until it died and just wouldn't dose at all, I never had a problem with it for unattended dosing.

Oh, and tank looks amazing. 🙂

• Like 1
On 3/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, SkiCatTX said:

I had one of the original Kore 5s for like 6 years or so. I never really liked it, and I agree on the software. After it died recently I got a GHL 2.1 and I love it. The number one feature I like on the GHL is that it has buttons on the front that allow you to manually dose by just pressing a button. On the Kore 5, you must go to your PC, run the application, hope that it connects, then dose. 

Anyway, for its flaws, the Kore 5 was pretty reliable. All the time, until it died and just wouldn't dose at all, I never had a problem with it for unattended dosing.

Oh, and tank looks amazing. 🙂

Ah, the GHL might be my next choice! I need to research it more.. I'd lean more to Neptune Apex if it wasn't for the fact I'd need like 3 DOS units. 

On 3/8/2019 at 10:36 PM, 748S911 said:

corals and tank are beautiful.  

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL
  • 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
On 3/5/2019 at 12:34 AM, pokerdobe said:

By far the most nerve wracking thing I've done this year. Here's to hoping I didn't screw up! 

spacer.png

How are the anemones doing after the division?

• Like 1
On 3/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How are the anemones doing after the division?

They seem to be ok so far. Actually seems to be recovering pretty rapidly, especially considering some of the recent fluctuations I've had with my water quality. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's great to hear! What was the process for cutting it in two, a scalpel blade? I'd have been super nervous too!

I pretty much followed step by step, Ty Ta's cutting method. Pretty simply actually - a single straight snip with a pair of scissors. Weirdest feeling in the world cutting it... I was incredibly anxious for the rest of the day. 

Need tips on how to pull the best coloration out of SC Orange Passion and Walt Disney. I feel like my OP's polyps are yellow/greenish rather than orange. My WD just looks green. Growth is not a problem, just pulling the best colors I can seems to be my challenge. Additional info on tank below

Parameters:

dKH: 6.85

Ca: 415

Mg: 1350

NO3: .2

PO4: .02

Salinity: 1.026

Lighting: 4x Radion XR30 Gen4 (100% blues/purples/uv, 15% whites, 10% red/green) + 2 Blue+ ATI bulbs, 1 Aquablue Special ATI Bulb, 1 Giesemann Super Purple. LEDs are on for 9 hours a day, T5 are on for 6. 

Flow: 2x Gyre 250, 0-100% antisync

Filtration: Skimmer, NOPOX, UV filter, weekly w/c at approx 10-11% (red sea blue bucket)

Dosing: ESV 2 part, 1x weekly NaNO3, Red Sea Colors A,C,D. I skip the B (green) since I think I have no problem in that department

• 2 weeks later...

Referencing my coloration problems, two pictures of my SC OP. Am I just being unrealistic? This seems to be the extent to the colors I'm getting, but I feel like other people's polyps are far more orange. The two pictures are under differing light spectrums throughout the day. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

All the coral colors looks great to me.  Probably just splitting hairs at this point.  The only thing that stood out to me from your dosing and parameters is a dhk of 6.85 seems low.  Red Seas Blue Bucket (I use it as well) should mix closer to 8 when at 1.026 SG

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Scorched said:

All the coral colors looks great to me.  Probably just splitting hairs at this point.  The only thing that stood out to me from your dosing and parameters is a dhk of 6.85 seems low.  Red Seas Blue Bucket (I use it as well) should mix closer to 8 when at 1.026 SG

I wasn't keeping track of my consumption and I let my alk drop. It's on a slow path to correction back to about 7.5-7.7 (which is where I like my alk). 

Other than my alk flucs, My PO4 fluctuates as well, since I'm having difficulty dialing in my NOPOX dosing. At this point I'm just trying to keep it in a wide range of .03-.1

mitten_reef
3 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Thank you!

In other news - one of my torches is hitting my PC rainbow....

Do I upset the torch or do I let it kill the PC rainbow? 

3rd option, clip off what you can of the PC rainbow and relocate the frag far and away from the torch forest.  

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

3rd option, clip off what you can of the PC rainbow and relocate the frag far and away from the torch forest.  

Hmm... or sell the torch and make an easy couple of grand. At least that's how torch prices seem these days. 

So anyone here want to be my guinea pig for shipping? Going to try my hand at shipping corals and you would only be responsible for the cost of shipping. 😄 

• pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS