Coral Vue Hydros

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

1 minute ago, DreC80 said:

Could that be part of what's going on?  A rapid no3/po4 increase?  I think no matter which way you look at it, a large water change should only help at this point.

I've been keeping an eye out on the no3/po4 and there was a slight increase - but nothing crazy like when I did the GFO experiment. 

Po4 seems to be hovering around .1 and NO3 settled at 15ish

7 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I've been keeping an eye out on the no3/po4 and there was a slight increase - but nothing crazy like when I did the GFO experiment. 

Po4 seems to be hovering around .1 and NO3 settled at 15ish

That's not bad at all.  I was just thinking...a large water change is going to drop your no3/po4 significantly and fast....but at this point that may be better than what is going on.

39 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Flipside, in the event all my acros die - what direction should I take my tank in? I think a 750 full of CSBs would be pretty entertaining. 

I dont have the money for CSBs but my next build will be a shallow BTA clownfish harem tank.  Either IM 25 Lagoon or IM 50 Lagoon.  Hopefully next year when I move to Florida.

37 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

That's not bad at all.  I was just thinking...a large water change is going to drop your no3/po4 significantly and fast....but at this point that may be better than what is going on.

Yep, at a certain point, there's nothing left to lose. 

33 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I dont have the money for CSBs but my next build will be a shallow BTA clownfish harem tank.  Either IM 25 Lagoon or IM 50 Lagoon.  Hopefully next year when I move to Florida.

Who knows how CSB pricing will be by then 😄 You should pick one up. They are rather nice. 

Anything else in the tank or just purely that?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Yep, at a certain point, there's nothing left to lose. 

Who knows how CSB pricing will be by then 😄 You should pick one up. They are rather nice. 

Anything else in the tank or just purely that?

I want to finally have a flame angel too and not worry about it picking at corals so it will probably be BTAs on the rocks and then RFAs on the sandbed.  Nem it up.  And designer clowns.  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, spectra said:

A local to me uses these guys..............they test RO water also and are local to the US.................

https://www.icp-analysis.com/collections/icp-testing

I may have to give them a try..............

Since we were talking about ICP testing.  This article sums up the different options pretty nicely.

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2020/04/24/coral-bonus-icp-oes-reef-aquarium-water-testing-service-overview/

• Like 2

Crashes suck, I'm so sorry you're going through one. I've never had a bad reaction from dropping NO3/PO4 too fast with massive water changes. Every time my tank has crashed, large water changes have been the key to turning it around.

I'm always skeptical about using ICP testing for active crashes. What do you do when it comes back as "bad" a couple weeks after you send it off? A huge/several huge water changes. Might as well proactively do the WC and use the ICP cost for more salt imo. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

I'm always skeptical about using ICP testing for active crashes. What do you do when it comes back as "bad" a couple weeks after you send it off? A huge/several huge water changes. Might as well proactively do the WC and use the ICP cost for more salt imo. 

I agree that huge water changes will be the only thing to try but the icp test could be very valuable if it come back showing high levels of say certain metals. Then you would know to start searching the tank for something in there rusting

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

So after just staying on the downlow for a little while, I think I'm starting to finally turn the corner on this tank. 

ICP didn't come back with anything too terrible interesting. However, after my SCOP started STNing from the tips, I had nothing else much to lose, so I started running 20 gallon water changes daily. I must have gone through over 500 gallons of saltwater before I started noticing subtle signs of improvement. 

I can't pinpoint anything in terms of what caused the issue or if my water changes even worked. I just know that it seems to be coming to a stop. But the whole ordeal definitely made its marks. Among the losses include:

• RRC Jawdropper
  • RR Wonderland
  • TCG Cherry Bomb
  • JF Fox Flame
  • TCK Pikachu
  • OLA Grimace
  • Tri Color Valida
  • Strawberry Shortcake
  • UC Turquoise Tort
  • ARC Fireworks (2x)
  • Tri Color Paletta (50%)
  • Solar Flare type mille
  • Walt Disney
  • Various Montis (I don't remember their names)
  • Green slimer (seriously how?)
  • Hellfire Torches
  • Short tentacle goni

As of today, my parameters read as below:

Alk: 7.1

Ca: 400

Mg: 1400

No3: 15

Po4: .1

Additional things to note:

• At the worst point of this ordeal, my alk consumption became literally 0. Any amount of dosing was just increasing alk. I had to disconnect my doser. I'm currently at .15 dKH daily consumption. 
  • I don't actually know if the two LPS losses are related - Seeing as the impact was to mostly acros, I'm inclined to say no, but I'll throw them in there for now. 
  • At some point, my CSBs became impacted by some kind of bacterial infection. I lost one during treatment, but also unsure if it is related. 
  • I noticed the growth of some kind of light green cyano I've never had before. It's mostly contained to the back of the tank, but I've never had any other kind of cyano other than the reddish kind. 
  • A friend came over to get some frag clippings as backups, but he brought a par meter. For the first time, I now know my par. At the midpoint of my tank, it was roughly 750, and the center sandbed was high 400/low500

Signs of recovery include:

• Slight uptick in alk consumption
  • Coralline growth (which hasn't happened in a long, long time)
  • Growth tips on Katropora
  • Dead tip recovery on various acros
  • Tenuis seem to be losing their "bumpy" skin
  • Like 3
45 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Somewhere halfway during the crash. 

108015676_1912580645544993_7707540531190887873_n.thumb.jpg.ef491b8452f04085ce3c0ad56cbd82f9.jpg

Brutal! 🥺 Sorry for the crash. It's tough not knowing exactly what the cause was...  Crazy you went through 500g of saltwater. I'm glad things seem to have stabilized for now. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

I'm very glad to hear that the loss came to a stop.  

500 gallons water changes later!!  after a quick search, despite that being a VERY large amount of water (10X 50 gallon drums for those who needs the visual), that's only 2.5 system volume.  so you weren't turning over the existing water as much as it may sound. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

108015676_1912580645544993_7707540531190887873_n.thumb.jpg.ef491b8452f04085ce3c0ad56cbd82f9.jpg

Was going to ask for a picture of the carnage but figured it was too soon🤣...

Sucks buddy. At least you know you have the skills to grow them put again

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

turning lemon to lemonade - some of those would make for awesome living room table ornaments.  altho, i don't know how much you want them as reminders of the crash... 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

10X 50 gallon drums for those who needs the visual

Drums are 55 gallons just sayin😋😋😂.. well normally..  a lot of water though.. imagine how many gallons went down the drain with the old salt water and all the rodi waste.. hopfully he isnt on a water meter😯 hahaha 

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Sorry for the crash. It's tough not knowing exactly what the cause was.

Thanks! I guess it happens to everyone though. The not knowing is what will kill me. 

12 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

500 gallons water changes later!!  after a quick search, despite that being a VERY large amount of water (10X 50 gallon drums for those who needs the visual), that's only 2.5 system volume.  so you weren't turning over the existing water as much as it may sound. 

Crazy right? 500 gallons of water is enough to 10% weekly changes on a 20 gallon system for nearly 2/3rd of the years. I wanted to do the water change all in one go, but everyone kept telling me that smaller daily amounts were better. 

12 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Was going to ask for a picture of the carnage but figured it was too soon🤣...

Sucks buddy. At least you know you have the skills to grow them put again

Naw, I'm mostly over it. Silver lining is I can now freely rescape without having to worry about existing colonies. 

8 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

turning lemon to lemonade - some of those would make for awesome living room table ornaments.  altho, i don't know how much you want them as reminders of the crash... 

Way ahead of you bud - my wife's been painting them and mounting them onto blocks for display. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Drums are 55 gallons just sayin😋😋😂.. well normally..  a lot of water though.. imagine how many gallons went down the drain with the old salt water and all the rodi waste.. hopfully he isnt on a water meter😯 hahaha 

I try not to think about it. That section that shows our water usage compared to the average in the neighborhood is well... kinda frightening. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

wow....major kudos for having a good attitude throughout this ordeal.  a lot of us would have thrown in the towel....you are one dedicated dude.

Or is it that I don't know when to quit? 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brutal man.

Do you have an automatic water change set up? I have found that having one via the Neptune. DOS has made all of the difference in terms of consistent water changes, as well as ease of doing large water changes in emergencies. Makes life 100% easier.

2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Brutal man.

Do you have an automatic water change set up? I have found that having one via the Neptune. DOS has made all of the difference in terms of consistent water changes, as well as ease of doing large water changes in emergencies. Makes life 100% easier.

I don't have an automatic set up. I was contemplating APEX for my next build, but depending on how everything pans out, I might try for one on this system. 

I swung by Austin today to run some errands and I met up with FarmerTy... and walked away with the TSA dragonfruit. Add the two other acros from my LFS... I have a problem...

Ugh, in other news, some zoas. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS