Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

18 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Yeah, sometimes there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to which acros do well and which ones don't. My LPS are finicky too - sometimes out of the blue, one will brown jelly? I'm just like, wtf bro. 

Possibly - I can go through all my equipment this weekend. If it's a lost screw... well... I have a lot of tank to scour through lol. 

When are the ICP results coming back?  If it was Triton it should be pretty quick since they don't have to ship to Germany anymore.  Should be able to figure out if it's rusting metal in the test results.

35 minutes ago, spectra said:

What ICP test did you do ?

Thinking of one here also.........

35 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

When are the ICP results coming back?  If it was Triton it should be pretty quick since they don't have to ship to Germany anymore.  Should be able to figure out if it's rusting metal in the test results.

ATI - LFS had it on hand. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

ATI - LFS had it on hand. 

Gotcha.  That one will take a little longer since it has to take a trip to Germany...but I do like the ATI because they test your RO/DI water and no3...which triton doesn't.  

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Gotcha.  That one will take a little longer since it has to take a trip to Germany...but I do like the ATI because they test your RO/DI water and no3...which triton doesn't.  

I guess time will tell. 

If it comes back alright though, then I'm at a total loss. I'm really hoping it'll find something. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
16 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I guess time will tell. 

If it comes back alright though, then I'm at a total loss. I'm really hoping it'll find something. 

Well, technically, if chemical tests show no direct evidence, then in theory, that leaves only biological issue.  Which is where you started out, with the plan for 80-90% water change. I think it’s one more thing you can eliminate. Not to get you spending money chasing the cause, but I think reef builders had article a while back about a biomic testing service, where you sent your samples for a breakdown of bacteria composition in your tank. No idea how accurate they get, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone mentioned it on here before. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Well, technically, if chemical tests show no direct evidence, then in theory, that leaves only biological issue.  Which is where you started out, with the plan for 80-90% water change. I think it’s one more thing you can eliminate. Not to get you spending money chasing the cause, but I think reef builders had article a while back about a biomic testing service, where you sent your samples for a breakdown of bacteria composition in your tank. No idea how accurate they get, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone mentioned it on here before. 

I actually read about that - I'm interested in seeing how people will start using it. Or if it's even useful to the average reefer. 

The more I talk about it here, the more massive water change makes sense. If it's biological and in the water column - then w/c help mitigate it. If it's contaminant related, then the massive w/c still helps. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DreC80 said:

A local to me uses these guys..............they test RO water also and are local to the US.................

https://www.icp-analysis.com/collections/icp-testing

I may have to give them a try..............

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

A local to me uses these guys..............they test RO water also and are local to the US.................

https://www.icp-analysis.com/collections/icp-testing

I may have to give them a try..............

Yeah, I've heard of them before.  Based out of Colorado I believe.  I've read mixed reviews...just can't remember where....but then again as much money as we piss away on this hobby it's worth a shot.

I think most of us submit an ICP when something is off...so faster results are ideal...ATI, Tropic Marin all take a couple of weeks it seems.  I do like ATI, just wish they were able to test in the US like Triton is doing now.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Yeah, I've heard of them before.  Based out of Colorado I believe.  I've read mixed reviews...just can't remember where....but then again as much money as we piss away on this hobby it's worth a shot.

I think most of us submit an ICP when something is off...so faster results are ideal...ATI, Tropic Marin all take a couple of weeks it seems.  I do like ATI, just wish they were able to test in the US like Triton is doing now.

Yeah this guy is a tech geek and sends samples all the time.............. he is pretty high on them.............

• Like 1
Just now, spectra said:

Yeah this guy is a tech geek and sends samples all the time.............. he is pretty high on them.............

Cool, may give them a try just to see what the numbers come back at...maybe even send a Triton out at the same time  to see how close they are.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pokerdobe said:

Flipside, in the event all my acros die - what direction should I take my tank in? I think a 750 full of CSBs would be pretty entertaining. 

To be honest I am almost done with sticks.................love them but at the same time my LPS and zoas are thriving.............,,.have always been a dirty tank guy.............:lol: hell my montis are loving life so.............

Flipside, in the event all my acros die - what direction should I take my tank in? I think a 750 full of CSBs would be pretty entertaining. 

Naw, as expensive as that would be...it would be too boring.

If all the acros die, ditch the sandbed so you can get your po4 down...stop the carbon dosing and get those acros back in there. 😄

1 minute ago, spectra said:

To be honest I am almost done with sticks.................love them but at the same time my LPS and zoas are thriving.............,,.have always been a dirty tank guy.............:lol: hell my montis are loving life so.............

It's a love/hate with sticks for me. I think they bring a level of structure and depth to a reef that other corals can't - but their care level is pretty steep compared to LPS and softies. I don't think I could ever just stay away though - I'm pretty stubborn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, DreC80 said:

Naw, as expensive as that would be...it would be too boring.

If all the acros die, ditch the sandbed so you can get your po4 down...stop the carbon dosing and get those acros back in there. 😄

Haha, my poor leopard wrasse. I think at the very least, a rescape is in order. I might be tempted to breakdown and restart - I've learned a lot with this tank and it could be a good opportunity to redo some things. 

Just now, pokerdobe said:

Haha, my poor leopard wrasse. I think at the very least, a rescape is in order. I might be tempted to breakdown and restart - I've learned a lot with this tank and it could be a good opportunity to redo some things. 

Small Tupperware filled with sand should do the trick.  Hide it behind a rock.

Just now, DreC80 said:

Small Tupperware filled with sand should do the trick.  Hide it behind a rock.

Doesn't the tupperware full of sand get all compacted/dirty over time? Or are you supposed to bring it out and clean it on the regular? Also, I've seen how far my leopard can chuck sand - it ain't staying in the tupperware. 

5 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

It's a love/hate with sticks for me. I think they bring a level of structure and depth to a reef that other corals can't - but their care level is pretty steep compared to LPS and softies. I don't think I could ever just stay away though - I'm pretty stubborn. 

I had a good balance..................then nuked the tank when I forgot to check the levels in the 2 part.................its been a struggle since then plus a tank upgrade,,,,,,,,,,,hell ask mitten kitten I had a monti that he was in love with...............

I had a good balance..................then nuked the tank when I forgot to check the levels in the 2 part.................its been a struggle since then plus a tank upgrade,,,,,,,,,,,hell ask mitten kitten I had a monti that he was in love with...............

That's the biggest downside to this hobby - once you get off the rails, it's rather difficult to recover....

@mitten_reef you're being called. 

• Haha 2
Just now, pokerdobe said:

Doesn't the tupperware full of sand get all compacted/dirty over time? Or are you supposed to bring it out and clean it on the regular? Also, I've seen how far my leopard can chuck sand - it ain't staying in the tupperware. 

You can just replace the sand occasionally to keep it clean and to refill.  Siphon any spilled sand during water changes.  I just remember you saying the nopox was strictly because of your po4.  It seems like maybe the nopox has caused some issues...cyano, possibly feeding bad bacteria.  Bare bottom is so much easier to keep clean.  Plus you can grow all the encrusters on the glass. 

mitten_reef

Yeah I miss your old tank, not like you actually gave us any updates often on that one or this current one.  🤷🏻‍♂️  

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

You can just replace the sand occasionally to keep it clean and to refill.  Siphon any spilled sand during water changes.  I just remember you saying the nopox was strictly because of your po4.  It seems like maybe the nopox has caused some issues...cyano, possibly feeding bad bacteria.  Bare bottom is so much easier to keep clean.  Plus you can grow all the encrusters on the glass. 

I actually ran out of nopox last week or so... haven't bothered to replace it. 😄 

5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Yeah I miss your old tank, not like you actually gave us any updates often on that one or this current one.  🤷🏻‍♂️  

I gave more updates on the other one.......................I miss it.,............the reefer well like I said a brick may happen..............not happy with it.,...............

I actually ran out of nopox last week or so... haven't bothered to replace it. 😄 

Could that be part of what's going on?  A rapid no3/po4 increase?  I think no matter which way you look at it, a large water change should only help at this point.

• Like 1
  • pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS