ReefCleaners.org

Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS

pokerdobe

16 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Man, hard to say with all the corals you already have in the tank. 

Have a short list of candidates?

Not really... I've added a few electus recently as something different to try. I might contemplate adding a bounce. 

Acro wise, I've recently added:

• RRC Jawdropper
  • RRU Angry Birds
  • TGC Foxy Lady
  • TGC Rainbow Feast
  • MattV Rainbow Envy

I've been toying with the idea of adding another encrusting monti like the Crazy T. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Not really... I've added a few electus recently as something different to try. I might contemplate adding a bounce. 

Acro wise, I've recently added:

• RRC Jawdropper
  • RRU Angry Birds
  • TGC Foxy Lady
  • TGC Rainbow Feast
  • MattV Rainbow Envy

I've been toying with the idea of adding another encrusting monti like the Crazy T. 

Sweet I was gonna say TGC and MattV stuff for acros. Mainly out of my own curiosity, cuz most Instagram posts (most by secondary vendors) from those two are so juiced up with blue, that I dunno how realistic it can be to expect those type of glows. 

• Like 1

I see new FTS but there isnt one.....................

Matt V is local to me.............has some nice stuff.............also know where he gets a few pieces from to grow out...........:wink:

16 minutes ago, spectra said:

Matt V is local to me.............has some nice stuff.............also know where he gets a few pieces from to grow out...........:wink:

Lemme guess your dealer-same guy-that got you that sweet little rainbow micro hammer?  You need to post that pic. I know it’s not really your pic and all that but you bought it, didn’t you?

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Lemme guess your dealer-same guy-that got you that sweet little rainbow micro hammer?  You need to post that pic. I know it’s not really your pic and all that but you bought it, didn’t you?

Yup.................:lol: wild colonies come in and I see Matt on the days they arrive...............

Gimme some time will post it up..............working on my photo skills.............:unsure:

3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Sweet I was gonna say TGC and MattV stuff for acros. Mainly out of my own curiosity, cuz most Instagram posts (most by secondary vendors) from those two are so juiced up with blue, that I dunno how realistic it can be to expect those type of glows. 

I've been growing out a few TGC stuff. 

They're ok under deep blues. Under whiter lights, which is where I keep mine, they're just kinda meh. Maybe I'm just not doing it right?

3 hours ago, spectra said:

I've failed you. I'll get a new FTS up this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

What’s the flow like in this tank? Your colonies are all nicely shaped.
I think mine doesn’t have enough flow. 

For flow, I currently run two gyre 350s on a custom flow setting. 

Been thinking about adding two mp40s in the back. Some of my corals would argue that their shape is pretty ugly. 

• Like 1
On 1/20/2020 at 9:02 PM, pokerdobe said:

Multiple updates in a row. I'm on a roll. 

385566563_Roomshot.thumb.jpg.9fcfa91546f655133039ed42ab3af2f9.jpg

I would love to hear about how you take photos like this. I have a nice Nikon camera but I have no idea how to get decent full tank pictures. Yours are some of the best I’ve ever seen!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Random question - what's the consensus on expired Coral Vitalizer?

anyway to identify what the ingredients are?  quick search didn't find anything, other than it being KZ coral supplement.  Supposedly has no N&P or doesn't break down to N&P in the tank.  I'm curious what the concoction is.  I've only used Aquavitro Fuel as liquid amino/vitamin supplement.   if that's your magic sauce, I'm gonna have to try some.  I think @Cannedfish used to dose a bunch of KZ stuff when his IM10 was growing gangbuster.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

anyway to identify what the ingredients are?  quick search didn't find anything, other than it being KZ coral supplement.  Supposedly has no N&P or doesn't break down to N&P in the tank.  I'm curious what the concoction is.  I've only used Aquavitro Fuel as liquid amino/vitamin supplement.   if that's your magic sauce, I'm gonna have to try some.  I think @Cannedfish used to dose a bunch of KZ stuff when his IM10 was growing gangbuster.

I recently picked it up and didn't realize it was already expired. Was going to give it a shot to see how it worked based on a recommendation of my friend. Well, actually, you follow him on IG - Lobster Reef. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hannahhhh said:

I would love to hear about how you take photos like this. I have a nice Nikon camera but I have no idea how to get decent full tank pictures. Yours are some of the best I’ve ever seen!

Alot of it is playing with the settings on the body as well as the actual light itself to try and minimize as much of the blue that comes through. My tank is actually pretty white during its peak cycle and I find that the additional white spectrum really helps mitigate the blues. 

As for the actual settings, during a shot like that, at night, my ISO tends to hit around the 1000-1600 mark. For this particular picture, this is what I ended up with. 

image.png.99865b64274c6fd0884629eb8964c2c3.png

There's still some level of post processing that comes into play with Lightroom, but alot of it is actually toning down highlights and such, as I find that slightly lowering the exposure and highlights helps out with "glare."

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So my Solar Flare colony started to stn from the base up - checked the usual suspects and nothing seems out of line. My Po4 has risen somewhat, but nothing that's completely out of the ordinary and certainly not enough to cause a necrosis event. 

The only thing that's changed is the addition of the zeovit supplements...

Hmm...

• Sad 1
On 1/30/2020 at 10:39 PM, pokerdobe said:

Alot of it is playing with the settings on the body as well as the actual light itself to try and minimize as much of the blue that comes through. My tank is actually pretty white during its peak cycle and I find that the additional white spectrum really helps mitigate the blues. 

As for the actual settings, during a shot like that, at night, my ISO tends to hit around the 1000-1600 mark. For this particular picture, this is what I ended up with. 

image.png.99865b64274c6fd0884629eb8964c2c3.png

There's still some level of post processing that comes into play with Lightroom, but alot of it is actually toning down highlights and such, as I find that slightly lowering the exposure and highlights helps out with "glare."

what lens are you using?

So I entered in a local grow out contest - where the winner receives a frag of Acrolandia. The date for final submissions was yesterday, but wanted to share the progress here. 

Starting piece:

62432632_1127158514137344_7743603585446838272_n.thumb.jpg.73b054eaeaee8ac7f9b70650f5198e38.jpg

Ending:

1966309867_DSC_08721-small.thumb.jpg.f7071c8114e93dba28092d6c1f1c435c.jpg

1788006005_DSC_08821-small.thumb.jpg.bbc68690e00c710eefd89a628eaba423.jpg

511747325_Untitled-1small.thumb.jpg.393e4d448d7a2b00d294c5d6db7aa18a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 4

Nice what was the time frame for the grow out ?

I am still struggling with the sticks............parameters seem right but something is just not right............they just dont like me.............

1 hour ago, pokerdobe said:

@spectra Looking at the thread, looks like I got the frag on 6.13, so about 8 months. Pretty long. 

How old is your tank? Anything you are dosing?

Dang thats some great growth in 8 months...........

My tank is maybe 7 months old right now. Rocks was pulled from my previous tank with some new pieces added. As for dosing I just use fritz alk and cal..........nothing else.......looking into maybe starting.......any recommendations ?

• pokerdobe changed the title to Mochi's Sushi Tank 750XXL - Updated FTS