ReefCleaners.org

Lunchbox's Nuvo 10

Lunchbox66

Hey everyone,

I've been in the hobby for a few years now. Had a biocube 29 as my first tank, but I am military and had to move so I broke it down. I'm now in a smaller apartment (where I don't think I can technically have a tank, but shhh), so I decided to start fresh with the Nuvo 10, something small. Just got everything in today! It got here in 1 day from Marine Depot, impressive.

I went and got my sand, water, and LR. I broke up 2 pieces of 5lb rock to make it more manageable in the small tank.

Just put in ammonia to start a fishless cycle. Hopefully won't take too long.

So far,

Tank- Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Nano 10

Media Basket- will be ordering the custom caddy w/ the IM 3 piece stack

Pump- Stock

Powerhead- None yet

Lighting- AI Prime HD

Heater- 50w Cobalt Aquatics Neo-therm Submersible Heater

ATO- None yet, hopfefully Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

post-93239-0-68116200-1486525282_thumb.jpg

post-93239-0-71946200-1486525285_thumb.jpg

post-93239-0-87802200-1486525289_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone,

I've been in the hobby for a few years now. Had a biocube 29 as my first tank, but I am military and had to move so I broke it down. I'm now in a smaller apartment (where I don't think I can technically have a tank, but shhh), so I decided to start fresh with the Nuvo 10, something small. Just got everything in today! It got here in 1 day from Marine Depot, impressive.

I went and got my sand, water, and LR. I broke up 2 pieces of 5lb rock to make it more manageable in the small tank.

Just put in ammonia to start a fishless cycle. Hopefully won't take too long.

So far,

Tank- Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Nano 10

Media Basket- will be ordering the custom caddy w/ the IM 3 piece stack

Pump- Stock

Powerhead- None yet

Lighting- AI Prime HD

Heater- 50w Cobalt Aquatics Neo-therm Submersible Heater

ATO- None yet, hopfefully Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

Great job on the rockwork and equipment list.

Check out intank for custom media baskets......sponsor on here.

Ya I'm looking at getting the sicce 0.5 soon. Upgraded flow rate seems good plus the stock pump has a bit of a buzz, I've heard the sicce is quiet.

Jack is 100% correct. Mediabaskets.com / InTank for the Win. They make great products and have excellent service! I actually just installed one of their baskets today in my new tank.

I have had great luck with the Sicce Silent pumps. Some complain of noise issues, however, I have not experienced this at all

You are off to a great start! :)

Ya I definitely know patience is key. Started the ammonia cycle yesterday, have some Nitrites today, not really much Nitrate yet.

Any suggestions on filter media are welcome. I was going to start with the basic IM 3 pack they sell for now.

You will get many opinions on this subject. I use : Filter floss, top shelf-- Purigen, middle shelf-- Chemi pure elite, bottom shelf.

This has worked for about the last 10 years or so for me :) I have found I like to keep it simple, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

Many people like to buy bulk and mix their own, for cost reasons. Me personally, I don't care about the cost because I know it works for me!

It seems to me for the nano bio filters need to be minimal at best. I like to he IM just trio pack they sell. to start. But having an actual refugium is appealing as well.

Ya I'm looking at getting the sicce 0.5 soon. Upgraded flow rate seems good plus the stock pump has a bit of a buzz, I've heard the sicce is quiet.

I totally agree. The tank is in my bedroom and I can't even hear it at night...only thing I would caution against is getting a spinstream nozzle, as the gears inside that make it spin are quite loud.

Looks like the cycle is complete. It's been 1 week, but I used all seeded live rock and fresh "live" sand.

Tested water again today, Ammonia and Nitrites look like 0. Nitrates were up over 20ish.

DCrNM3d.jpg

Did about a 33% water change. Nitrites look like they came down to about 5.

0kGwbVx.jpg

I'm planning on picking up some CUC members tomorrow (just a few to start out and see how they fair). I'm open to any advice/suggestions on what/how many to get. I was thinking 2ish Trochus, 2 nerite, to start. Assuming they do well, will be adding probably a fish and coral next weekend.

One last pick of the tank under "moonlight" on the AI Prime HD.

UMAntrw.jpg

Still waiting on my order to ship from marine depot with the Tunze ATO, Sicce 1.0 return pump, and customcaddy media basket.

Picked up 2 Astreas and 2 blue leg hermits a couple days ago. They seem to be doing well. My Tunze Osmolator ATO and customcaddy media basket also came, it works great. I'm still waiting on my Sicce 1.0 pump and spinstream nozzle. Right now I'm running this filter media

IM 3 stage filter media

I'm open to other suggestions on filter media as well. Nitrates have been fine and haven't tested phosphates yet. I was considering going with some filter floss, chemi-pure elite and GFO, or chaeto with the mini refugium light. I like to buy all the cool accessories so I'm having a hard time holding off on the media reactor and protein skimmer, even though I know I don't need them at the moment.

One of the hermits, hard to see him.

fXK4GGG.jpg

I'm probably going to get some sort of sand sifting goby, maybe 1 or 2 more snails, and some zoas this weekend. I plan to do LPS and SPS in the tank but have an affinity for zoas, they were my first coral ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Some updated pics. Everything is doing great except my hammer that just doesn't want to open. Picked up the Coralbox QP-5 the other day, decided the MP-10 would just be a little excessive for me for the price. I was surprised in reef mode the QP-5 was way too much flow and kicked sand everywhere.

wuxEQ4g.jpg

Also added a rose bubble tip that seems to be doing well. Hopefully him and the clown will get along.

BufVeGR.jpg?1

Going to attach some more of the coral to rock when I get a chance and clean up the look a little.

Still debating on the ghost skimmer and/or media reactor. Levels are fine right now, but I like the Gucci add-ons.

Archived