ReefCleaners.org

Maxima pinched mantle?

blkhwkz

I have a derasa and 2 other maxima in this tank that are doing great. Couple of weeks ago I picked up a really nice size maxima from an LFS. Clam has looked like this since I put it in the tank. It came with foot attached to some rubble, but I threw a Brightwell clam hammock under it to keep it up off the sand a bit. Though this one seems to like to move off the hammock and put it's mantle in the sand a bit. I am running Red Sea reef spec carbon and tried a 20 minute fresh water dip last week. It does react to me walking by the tank and everything else seems fine. I had to pick it up a few times after the FW dip as it apparently would try to move and end up on it's side. Trying to decide if it needs another dip or just leave it alone for another week and see what happens.

IMG_20170202_131117.jpg

I have a derasa and 2 other maxima in this tank that are doing great. Couple of weeks ago I picked up a really nice size maxima from an LFS. Clam has looked like this since I put it in the tank. It came with foot attached to some rubble, but I threw a Brightwell clam hammock under it to keep it up off the sand a bit. Though this one seems to like to move off the hammock and put it's mantle in the sand a bit. I am running Red Sea reef spec carbon and tried a 20 minute fresh water dip last week. It does react to me walking by the tank and everything else seems fine. I had to pick it up a few times after the FW dip as it apparently would try to move and end up on it's side. Trying to decide if it needs another dip or just leave it alone for another week and see what happens.

IMG_20170202_131117.jpg

if its pinched mantle, when you pass your hand over it the mantle will curl up, rather than being pulled in the shell. observe it at night as well, make sure its shuts tight. other than that just keep an eye on it

if its pinched mantle, when you pass your hand over it the mantle will curl up, rather than being pulled in the shell. observe it at night as well, make sure its shuts tight. other than that just keep an eye on it

Thanks, it pulls the mantle in like the other ones do when I pass my hand over it. At night it is shut tight, where the other clams that have been in there longer stay open a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 0:10 AM, blkhwkz said:

Thanks, it pulls the mantle in like the other ones do when I pass my hand over it. At night it is shut tight, where the other clams that have been in there longer stay open a little bit.

any updates?

Still looks the same, but seems to be doing fine.  Has opened up a little bit more and when I look at it, almost like the parts of the mantle I thought might be pinched are just small and can't stretch out over the shell if that makes sense.  Hasn't fallen in over a week, doesn't close up every time I walk within 10 feet of the tank anymore, but will close if I move my hand over it.  

Archived