Pod Your Reef

Craig's Fluval Spec V

craig1560

Well I'm back at it. I was lightly active here during college when I started a biocube, but things changed for me a bit back then and I had to get out of the hobby. Fast forward a few years, I'm married, have a house, and most importantly have the stability to get back in the hobby. I'm quite stoked about it. I plan on using this thread to document tank additions and changes for myself, but feel free to contribute any way. Started this tank at the beginning of January, and here it is now.

FTS (2/14/2017)

Still working on aquascape..Might take away about an inch of sand too. Done

21417.jpg

Livestock:

Zoas (Not sure what kind)

Hammerhead

Pavona decussatus. Aka green cactus coral.

Coral.png

Lighting:

Current Orbit Marine LED (Love this thing already--if you have any setting preferences please share!)

I would suggest making sure there is enough room between your rocks and the glass so that you are able to clean behind them. Other than that Welcome Back and good luck with the tank.

I'm considering gettng rid of everything on the left (rock wise) and then just centering the rocks on the right. Not sure how it would look though. Wish I just had a cool arch piece.

APUreefer1989

Well since cms90740, decided to give you a very warm welcome and congratulate you on your efforts. I will do the same. Welcome a board, and don't bother listening to him if he's being serious. Your tank is yours, not his kind of sounds like a kid to me. Don't be afraid of doing what you like as long as it doesn't jepordize your livestock which I doubt a thermometer in the tank will unless it breaks. I agree wholeheartedly with getting the rock away from the glass for cleaning. (I happened to have done the same and now have a few spots where getting the coraline off is a huge hassel) Play around with the scape, a lot! Till you find something you like. Something I should have done myself.

Thermometer in the top left of the tank, are you serious? NOOB ALERT. Did you even bother reading a single post on this forum bro? GTFOH

Thanks for the encouragement! Why don't you get a tank and then you can talk smack!

Well since cms90740, decided to give you a very warm welcome and congratulate you on your efforts. I will do the same. Welcome a board, and don't bother listening to him if he's being serious. Your tank is yours, not his kind of sounds like a kid to me. Don't be afraid of doing what you like as long as it doesn't jepordize your livestock which I doubt a thermometer in the tank will unless it breaks. I agree wholeheartedly with getting the rock away from the glass for cleaning. (I happened to have done the same and now have a few spots where getting the coraline off is a huge hassel) Play around with the scape, a lot! Till you find something you like. Something I should have done myself.

Thanks for the advice. I know cms90740 and he's just jealous that he hasn't got back in the hobby yet. You're right, I'm going to continue to rearrange. Need that tank looking sexy. I got my wife hooked, which is INSANE, so now I want to make sure everything is tip top so she can continue to get excited for "the pretty zoas". The aqua scape needs to tie everything together, and I'm going to have to keep messing with it. I looked at some arches these guys are selling online, they're just priced way too high for me.

O noes, a thermometer in the tank! Terrible! :rolleyes: Guess my tank would meet with less of his approval than yours as I not only have a thermometer, I have black airline tubing and a ginormous heater in the tank. The horror! :P

I'll third the suggestion to get the rocks away from the glass. Maybe you can epoxy/superglue some so they don't fall over and will stay stacked? Glad your wife is getting excited about it, that will help when you want to make pricier purchases. ;) My husband is not hooked and joked he is grounding me from reefing--and I've barely bought anything yet! :lol:

Only kidding people. Craig and I are actually friends, just givin' him shit. Definitely looking forward to the development of this tank. I like the rock slope to the left tho I agree it will probably be difficult to clean that glass. And I second the suggestion of epoxy/superglue by Lula_Mae (who's pico tank build I'm also following), to create that dope arch look.

Thinking about taking a half-inch to an inch off the sand bed to open up some space and make everything look a little more sleek. Any downfall to this?

Only kidding people. Craig and I are actually friends, just givin' him shit. Definitely looking forward to the development of this tank. I like the rock slope to the left tho I agree it will probably be difficult to clean that glass. And I second the suggestion of epoxy/superglue by Lula_Mae (who's pico tank build I'm also following), to create that dope arch look.

Haha sorry, tone is hard to read on the interwebs! Thanks for following. :)

About the sandbed--I'm not sure if there's any downfall but I specifically put a thin (about 1 cm) layer of sand in case I changed my mind and wanted to take it out (I had a barebottom pico a while back and found I really liked it--easy to see what needs to be cleaned out!). I think a thinner layer may be easier to clean and less likely to trap detritus (it's amazing how fast sand gets nasty!). I probably will get a nassarius snail or two to keep the sand stirred up, sometime soon. :happy:

Thermometer in the top left of the tank, are you serious? NOOB ALERT. Did you even bother reading a single post on this forum bro? GTFOH

Dude? Who gives a sh!t? Maybe that's all they had. Glass thermometers were used for decades before we came up with all this electronic bs. Keep on reefing OP. I think you got a great start.

Thinking about taking a half-inch to an inch off the sand bed to open up some space and make everything look a little more sleek. Any downfall to this?

I say, the deeper the sand bed the better. I like mine to be a mixture of different sized substrate as well. Looks more natural IMO

Dude? Who gives a sh!t? Maybe that's all they had. Glass thermometers were used for decades before we came up with all this electronic bs. Keep on reefing OP. I think you got a great start.

I say, the deeper the sand bed the better. I like mine to be a mixture of different sized substrate as well. Looks more natural IMO

Haha, thanks. The glass thermometer is legit, the only one I have. Not too worried about it.

Took away an inch or so of sand tonight. This is after most suspensions have settled. Zoas ended up opening up, and my cactus coral sent out some slime after the fact, but so far everything is back to normal. I noticed an increase in algae lately, so I went to the LFS and picked up 4 cerith snails and 2 small turbos and they've been going to town. The turbos are my favorite part of the tank right now. So much personality. Looking to add a plate coral over the weekend as well as a twin-spot goby to make things exciting. Can't wait!

fight me bro

On 2/15/2017 at 1:30 PM, Thatfishyguy said:

Can we film it?

i believe jello has to be involved for filming..? so yes

also craig, patiently awaiting new photos with the goby and plate coral.

7 hours ago, cms90740 said:

also craig, patiently awaiting new photos with the goby and plate coral.

Saturday is the day. The LFS had a twin spot two weeks ago, then nothing last week...Hopefully they have him this week, as well as the dope chartreuse plate coral. Either way, I'll keep you updated. 

By the way, I can tell my hammer coral is splitting on both heads. I bought it with two heads, and I can tell both heads are splitting. Holy crap, I'm about to have 4 heads of hammers!

3 minutes ago, craig1560 said:

By the way, I can tell my hammer coral is splitting on both heads. I bought it with two heads, and I can tell both heads are splitting. Holy crap, I'm about to have 4 heads of hammers!

Pics or it didn't happen

8 minutes ago, cms90740 said:

Pics or it didn't happen

Hard to prove with an iphone 5. But I'll do my best.

Top view...past two weeks has almsot doubled in size since I bought it. 

top.jpg

Hard to see, but it almost looks like a heart shape forming on this side. Has it's own mouth already. 

right_1.jpg

This side does not have it's own mouth yet, but is forming. You can see it growing below the original second head (giggity)

left_1.jpg

I took some of the sand bed down about a week ago (as mentioned before), but ever since, my zoas are not really opening. 99% of the time they're completely shut, with 1% of the time, they're about 10% open. I'm not exactly sure why. I've tried lowering the light intensity and they still haven't opened over the past 4 days. I brushed some sand off that was stuck in between the polyps and that helped a little bit, but they're still totally closed. Water parameters are fine. 20% water change yesterday. Kind of at a lost. If I had to pin it on anything, it might be the lights being too bright. My cactus coral looks a little bleached compared to older photos. What do you guys think? Zoas.png

Archived