SaltCritters.com

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

SaltyBuddha
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think the one I'm most interested in is the dragon's breath but I am not in a rush if there are no clippings right now, I am happy to wait a little while.  Would love to see what else you've got in the macro tank! ;)  I will probably look to add macros in maybe May or so.  :)

Do it! I really like macros in a display tank and dragon's breath is one I want as well. Glad to see your tank is on the up and up :lol:

15 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Do it! I really like macros in a display tank and dragon's breath is one I want as well. Glad to see your tank is on the up and up :lol:

Me too, I'd ordered dragon's breath but it did not appreciate traveling across the country and was bright orange when it arrived, and slowly died away over the next couple of weeks.  I love the red palm macro even if it keeps getting coated in detritus so I have to clean it off (and now bubble algae :rolleyes:).  Blue scroll would be great if it would do well for me. :closedeyes:

14 minutes ago, gena said:

Looks like a new baby head forming! 

omgomgomgfingerscrossed:happydance: Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love this little blasto too!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp, I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted!  Will try to catch up to the current day and then share the news.  Been pretty busy round here.

The day after my post, I went back to the LFS where I'd spotted a beautiful green grandis paly and got it, and then went by the other LFS to exchange something and as part of the exchange, I got a nice little piece of leather that was just stuck to the eggcrate in the frag tank.  I rubber banded it to a rock but it decided to split and fell off a day or so later, doing the limp dishrag act.  It's got some polyp extension but is way in the back so I can't get new pics of it.  While getting the leather, the LFS owner told me they were getting in 100 new frags on Monday so of course I had to go check it out Monday evening and came home with two gorgeous blastos--one looked almost solid teal green under their lights, under mine it has a definite reddish/purplish tone to the outer ring.  The other blasto is purplish outside, green inside but has a matching purplish red splotchy ring in the middle.  It's gorgeous.

I decided to move everything into the little bitty frag/quarantine tank and ended up putting the 7w Reef Radiance light (the purplish one) over it along with the daylight bulb I already had on it.  Turns out it makes for a very nice spectrum that way!  A couple days later I went and picked up an acan that is sort of a teal green with reddish brownish stripes.  It's not vibrant and bright like many acans but I prefer its more muted colors and think it goes better with my vision for my tank.  I also got a little frag of a pinkish brownish pulsing xenia and find myself staring at the constant pulsing action.

Ordinarily I would never make so many changes to my tank in such short order but...thanks to being fired, my husband and I decided to go back to our original plan if I couldn't find work.  I'm moving (leaving tomorrow night or Tues AM) down to NC and taking Violet and my tank with me while hubby stays to finish out the lease.  Hopefully the job market will be kinder than it's been up here!  I'll have very limited space as I'm staying with family so I've got to fit the tank and my little vivarium I've got onto a small side table, so I will be limited either to the tiny 1.6ish gallon or possibly the 2.3 gallon tank.  Won't know for sure till I get there.  Once I get settled in, I'll see about getting things off their frag plugs and onto the actual rocks but for now I'm rockin the ceramic frag plug garden look lol.

Pics for everybody!
Green grandis paly in the iodine dip.  There is a tiny baby bud on it!

IMG_20170415_213419067

See the pink finger leather in the back before it decided to pull the limp dishrag look lol.

IMG_20170415_220154598

New blastos are mad.

IMG_20170418_104523085

New blastos are happy!  The original on the left, the "all green" on in the middle, the one with the purplish center on the right.

IMG_20170418_161457499

IMG_20170419_003634442

Moved the fluffy duster to the crevice in the left rock, stacked the lefthand rock from the big tank on top.  Attempted to peroxide all the GHA on the zoa/duster rock from the big tank and managed to knock off the zoas and got some peroxide on the duster!!!  He slimed up and hid for a day or so but has been out and happy since.  Phew!  What a trooper he is!  I set the zoas back on top of the rock but not glued down and the little trochus snail I got the other day knocked them off so I moved them to the lefthand boulder pile lol.  I think the zoas are started to get a little of their old color back too.

Everything mad from the move.

IMG_20170419_012016207

Feeding time.  Om nom nom!

IMG_20170419_174248900

Adding the LED bulb from Reef Radiance made everything very happy!  The new green grandis paly can barely bee seen at back right next to the heater.

IMG_20170420_192732014

Can see the green one better in this pic.

IMG_20170422_204505857

Side view.

IMG_20170422_204449013

Pulsing xenia and fluffy duster.

IMG_20170422_204515787

Acan frag is on its side cuz the bottom of the frag plug is chipped and it won't stand up lol.  Purple-center blasto is mad cuz a vermetid snail took up residence on its side. :angry: (It is now gone).

IMG_20170422_204541711

Awkward FTS (cuz the mini tank with the trumpets is still in front).  You can see drgibby's rics, pipe organ, and pretty blue-green gsp (in the back) doing very well!  Weetie's brighter green gsp is in the front.

IMG_20170422_204432171

So.  Making plans to move my beauties (and there is no LFS for miles around where I'm going) and I'm a bit nervous but fingers crossed it'll go well.  Violet is sure to be unimpressed by the trip but I think I will leave her in her cage this time.  Last fall, we were driving through the night and stopped for gas, and I decided the hot dogs looked good so I got a couple but only ate about half of one before deciding NOPE so I set them in the seat in front of her little carrier (a soft-sided small animal carrier) since we weren't stopping again for a while.  Well, Violet must've decided they smelled good because I happened to glance over (keep in mind it's like midnight and we're driving through D.C.) and THERE IS A HEDGIE ON THE SEAT!!! :o and nowhere to pull over!!!  Somehow I managed to get her back in the carrier without killing us both by running into somebody else and got it zipped enough that she couldn't get out again but I am sure she had ketchup all over her little feet.  Goofy girl! :rolleyes:

If anyone has tips for moving corals please feel free to share!  I am excited but nervous as I want everything to stay this happy!

• Like 8

Oh my goodness, SO MUCH happening here, lotsa cool stuff!!!

Really, really loving those Blastos and some of the other Polyps!!

For the move, get a styro picnic cooler and put water in that, then get a couple of new plastic ice cube trays and put a frag in each compartment, then place trays in the cooler. 

Works great, did that for Frag Swaps when we set up as the Reef Chicks Coral Kitchen!!

When's the big move?

Maybe I'll even get to meet you in person sometime since you'll be closer to me!! omgomgomg

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh my goodness, SO MUCH happening here, lotsa cool stuff!!!

Really, really loving those Blastos and some of the other Polyps!!

For the move, get a styro picnic cooler and put water in that, then get a couple of new plastic ice cube trays and put a frag in each compartment, then place trays in the cooler. 

Works great, did that for Frag Swaps when we set up as the Reef Chicks Coral Kitchen!!

When's the big move?

Maybe I'll even get to meet you in person sometime since you'll be closer to me!! omgomgomg

omgomgomg Weetie, that's brilliant!  I never would've thought of ice cube trays!!!  Do I need to weight down the trays at all?  Or will they sit on the bottom?  I've got some larger containers for the rocks and stuff but wasn't sure what I'd do for the frags!  Woooo off to the store tomorrow...sometime lol.  We're leaving hopefully tomorrow night or definitely by Tues morning.  And yes, maybe we will get to meet!  I'll be east of Charlotte for the time being but where I ultimately end up depends on the job sitch.

Also, if weather is nice, do I need to worry about heat packs?  I used hot hands last time I had corals to move but it was also cold February lol.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

omgomgomg Weetie, that's brilliant!  I never would've thought of ice cube trays!!!  Do I need to weight down the trays at all?  Or will they sit on the bottom?  I've got some larger containers for the rocks and stuff but wasn't sure what I'd do for the frags!  Woooo off to the store tomorrow...sometime lol.  We're leaving hopefully tomorrow night or definitely by Tues morning.  And yes, maybe we will get to meet!  I'll be east of Charlotte for the time being but where I ultimately end up depends on the job sitch.

Also, if weather is nice, do I need to worry about heat packs?  I used hot hands last time I had corals to move but it was also cold February lol.

I suspect you don't need to worry too much about temp unless it's really cold where you're at. 

You won't need to weigh the trays down, natural weight of the frag plugs, etc will hold them down. 

Glad I could help. :)

Happy Trails and Good Travels to you!!

Moving time!  Going to start breaking down the tank shortly.  Prob no pics as phone is charging across the room lol.  Leaving later tonight, fingers crossed for safe travels despite the rain!

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Moving time!  Going to start breaking down the tank shortly.  Prob no pics as phone is charging across the room lol.  Leaving later tonight, fingers crossed for safe travels despite the rain!

Safe Travels, looking forward to better things for you on the other side of the Rainbow!!

It all looks so good! 

I am curious how the move will go, will have to move my own tank as well in a few weeks and that makes me quite nervous. 

But... Violet is a hedgie? They sre so cool. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. Quick posting from my Kindle as comp is still in the car lol. We made it safe and sound tonight after a good 17 hours or so on the road- had a nap break in the middle lol. Looks like everything made it, Weetie's trick worked great, despite jouncing over rough interstate in the northeast, only scroll algae was displaced. Hoped to get tank set back up tonight but can't find a few things so I put everything in the cooler and stuck the heater and airline in there lol.  Tomorrow will be busy as well but hopefully I can at least get tank back up. Will update when I can.

Oh and once we arrived and I gave Violet fresh bedding, she came out and started sniffing around, more actively than she ever does when lights are on!  Maybe I should move her more often. :rolleyes: :lol:

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. Quick posting from my Kindle as comp is still in the car lol. We made it safe and sound tonight after a good 17 hours or so on the road- had a nap break in the middle lol. Looks like everything made it, Weetie's trick worked great, despite jouncing over rough interstate in the northeast, only scroll algae was displaced. Hoped to get tank set back up tonight but can't find a few things so I put everything in the cooler and stuck the heater and airline in there lol.  Tomorrow will be busy as well but hopefully I can at least get tank back up. Will update when I can.

Oh and once we arrived and I gave Violet fresh bedding, she came out and started sniffing around, more actively than she ever does when lights are on!  Maybe I should move her more often. :rolleyes: :lol:

HOORAAAAY!!!!

I've used a styro cooler as an impromptu tank more than once, works fine as long as you at least have circulation & heater. 

I do have a funny story for you along those lines though. 

The first swap my MIL & I ever set up at (the same one I learned the ice cube tray trick at), we drove 6 hrs to get there and stayed at a hotel overnight before setting up the next day. 

When we got to the hotel, water temps for the corals were low so we actually had things floating in bags in the hotel tub in warm water to get them up to temp!! :lol:

It was an adventure. 

This has been one rollercoaster of a thread to read through!. I am sorry your first tank crashed.. I have a feeling it may have been some chemicals from the pest control. even one tiny drop can cause chaos :(

and also sorry to hear about the loss of Shelby. She seemed like such a character!

Your new tank looks awesome so far! I love the corals you've gotten so far. How does the feather duster fare in a tank without sand? I've been thinking about getting some when my pico is ready, but not sure how they do without sand. got a few in my 75g tank and love them!

17 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

HOORAAAAY!!!!

I've used a styro cooler as an impromptu tank more than once, works fine as long as you at least have circulation & heater. 

I do have a funny story for you along those lines though. 

The first swap my MIL & I ever set up at (the same one I learned the ice cube tray trick at), we drove 6 hrs to get there and stayed at a hotel overnight before setting up the next day. 

When we got to the hotel, water temps for the corals were low so we actually had things floating in bags in the hotel tub in warm water to get them up to temp!! :lol:

It was an adventure. 

:lol: I bet!  Were the corals ok?  I can just see a bunch of little bags bobbing in the tub, haha!  Imagine housecleaning finding THAT! :lol:

2 hours ago, Draco said:

This has been one rollercoaster of a thread to read through!. I am sorry your first tank crashed.. I have a feeling it may have been some chemicals from the pest control. even one tiny drop can cause chaos :(

and also sorry to hear about the loss of Shelby. She seemed like such a character!

Your new tank looks awesome so far! I love the corals you've gotten so far. How does the feather duster fare in a tank without sand? I've been thinking about getting some when my pico is ready, but not sure how they do without sand. got a few in my 75g tank and love them!

Haha yeah it has been a very interesting few months lol.  Sucky as it was to lose the tank, those big gorgeous mushrooms would never have fit in the little tank I've got now.  Shelby definitely was a character but at least now I don't have to worry about her attacking anything else that enters the tank. :wacko:

The dusters seem ok!  If you put them next to a rock that they can attach to, mine seem to like that (both have attached themselves to rocks that were above them as I found with my new one, to be detailed shortly).  But I have had them before bare bottom and they seemed fine even without a rock to attach to.

I got the tank up and tossed everything in, after a quick Lugol's dip for the corals stress recovery lol.  At one point I realized the stomatella was on a frag so I tried to get him off so the iodine wouldn't kill him.  He wouldn't budge and then suddenly he started zooming across the frag plug and I got him off and in the tank...but he left his BUTT behind!!!  I dropped it in the tank too and it was wiggling and moving on its own. :huh:  It was freaky!  When I packed the feather dusters Monday night, I found my new duster had attached, not to the bottom rock where he was laying perfectly in its crevice, but to the top rock!  Yesterday, when I went to put the feather dusters in the cooler (they were transported in separate plastic containers with their rocks), I found the new duster's rocks had shifted in transit and was worried for him, but he was fine...and had attached himself at a different angle. :rolleyes:  Ya win some and lose some lol.

Some things seem to have a light coating of hair algae that somehow grew in transit, I guess due to low flow. <_<  Will try to get that brushed off tomorrow, poor things.  Put the soap dish in to hold a few of the frags so I'm not crowding them all on the bottom and knocking them all over lol.  Things were starting to peek out before I turned off the light.  Got some rearranging to do and maybe soon my dad will let me borrow his dremel so I can fix the frag plugs and make them useable (i.e. cut off those annoying stems).  Need to find out what kind of bit to use lol.

So far everything looks alive, just a bit traumatized from jouncing halfway down the east coast lol.  I am super tired but maybe tomorrow can get some pics up.  We'll see. :)

• Like 5
37 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Some things seem to have a light coating of hair algae that somehow grew in transit, I guess due to low flow. <_<  Will try to get that brushed off tomorrow, poor things.  Put the soap dish in to hold a few of the frags so I'm not crowding them all on the bottom and knocking them all over lol.  Things were starting to peek out before I turned off the light.  Got some rearranging to do and maybe soon my dad will let me borrow his dremel so I can fix the frag plugs and make them useable (i.e. cut off those annoying stems).  Need to find out what kind of bit to use lol.

So far everything looks alive, just a bit traumatized from jouncing halfway down the east coast lol.  I am super tired but maybe tomorrow can get some pics up.  We'll see. :)

Well glad to hear all is going well. Some hair algae is no problem...my snail shells are started to get some hair algae on them :lol:

I am sure you have done it before but be sure to be careful with the dremel I slipped the last time I did it and almost had an accident. It really is an easy way to get the stem off the plug, but I have also tried bone cutters which seem to work really well too with a little bit of force.

7 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

His butt fell off?!:wacko: Glad to hear the journey went well :) 

Yeah, stomatellas are weird like that, they "release" their butts kinda like some lizards will release a tail to get away. 

Totally freaked me out the first time it happened to me, it's really bizarre. 

Sounds like everything made it okay, very happy to hear. 

We can wait for pics, just worry about getting everything set up and healthy and getting yourself some rest. :flower:

• Like 3
9 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

His butt fell off?!:wacko: Glad to hear the journey went well :) 

Yes, yes it did, haha.  So weird!  Thanks. :happy:

9 hours ago, money88 said:

Well glad to hear all is going well. Some hair algae is no problem...my snail shells are started to get some hair algae on them :lol:

I am sure you have done it before but be sure to be careful with the dremel I slipped the last time I did it and almost had an accident. It really is an easy way to get the stem off the plug, but I have also tried bone cutters which seem to work really well too with a little bit of force.

Lol yeah I don't mind a little but when it's growing on my frags I get annoyed lol.  Thanks for the warning on the dremel, accidents like that are no good lol.

3 hours ago, Draco said:

bone cutters works well for frag plugs. :)

I have heard about bone cutters but am unsure where to find them.  Walmart?  Lowe's?  Those are pretty much my options here lol.

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yeah, stomatellas are weird like that, they "release" their butts kinda like some lizards will release a tail to get away. 

Totally freaked me out the first time it happened to me, it's really bizarre. 

Sounds like everything made it okay, very happy to hear. 

We can wait for pics, just worry about getting everything set up and healthy and getting yourself some rest. :flower:

So weird, I had no idea!  I musta scared him, poor guy.  I can't wait to turn on the light later and see how everything's opening up, stuff was starting to last night.  I just hope I can get everything as happy as it was before.

I need to clean out the cooler.  Ugh. :rolleyes:

But first...coffee.