Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

Lula Mae's 2.3ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it

Hello everyone!

I'm a longtime on-again, off-again lurker on the forums. I started my first saltwater tank my junior year (I think...) of college after spending the whole summer reading on the forums. I was inspired by tanks such as el fab's legendary pico, lalani's first 10 gallon (and her 2.5 minibow with sexy shrimp!), and, most especially, c est ma's little 5.5 (which remains my favorite tank size to this day).

Over the years, my tank(s) have taken many forms. From a one gallon, to a 1.5, to a 2.5, to a 5.5, to a 10, back to a 1.5, back to a 5.5, to a 1, to my most recent iteration, a 2.7 (Penn Plax Vertex, a lovely little tank asthetically). None of my tanks ever got very far before life and neglect caused algae to take over, though I did at one time have a lovely little collection of ricordea and other mushrooms from Coral Morphologic (now Aquascapers).

Last fall, I moved 800 miles with what remained of my tank's inhabitants, draping the rocks with damp paper towels in anticipation of setting the tank back up right after arrival. Well, that didn't happen and by the time I could set it up, the paper towels were dry and so were the rocks and most of the sand. :( I bought a new tank and put the rocks and sand in water anyway and since then they've just been sitting with a little powerhead keeping some flow in there while I got my situation sorted out. For a time I even considered taking the rocks out and letting them dry, leaving me without a saltwater tank for the first time since I entered the hobby. But I didn't, and so here we are!

Now that things have settled down, I'd like to get my tank looking beautiful again and maybe, finally, have the sort of tank I've dreamed of for so long. I've spent the last few weeks reading and have been inspired by some of the beautiful tanks I missed in the time I was away from the forums. I started making some changes to the tanks--I pulled out the sand that had been in the old one (full of nasty gunk!), realized I still had two little dwarf ceriths crawling about, started turning on the cheap little light fixture I'd bought when I moved, and tried to figure out where I wanted to go with this tank.

I want something easy to care for and have been inspired by some of the vase and bowl picos (like natalia_la_loca's) around now, so I'm taking a page out of their book and trying something new. I've got airline tubing in there for circulation (took out the pitiful little powerhead I've never been too impressed with). I had bought an adjustable heater (with no numbers on it--who thought that was a good idea?) but after turning it on realized the tank was at 86 or so and have taken it out until I can play with it and figure out how to adjust it. I've got a little Tetra heater in there but don't have it plugged in as it's quite warm in this little apartment (around 80...the apartment is above the boiler room and we have steam radiator heat lol). I may be able to do without a heater except on days when the temperature drops inside (since we keep the windows open most of the time due to the temperature inside).

The lid I have on there belongs to the Penn Plax Vertex so it doesn't fit very well. I'll have to find a place to get one cut soon. I waffled between bare bottom and sand and finally decided to try a thin layer of sand and see how I like it. It's a gorgeous orangey-pinkish color sand from Super Naturals (I think they call it sunset orange or something). It is very fine though, maybe even finer than the Tahitian moon sand I've used before from them. If I find it annoying or too much of a detritus trap, out it comes!

I will probably upgrade the light in the next couple of months but at the time I bought the light, I was on a super-tight budget and so I went with a little Finnex Stingray. I figured if it can grow freshwater plants it can probably grow macros (what I planned to do with the tank at the time) lol. I'd hoped to make use of my trusty 2x18w T5 Nova Extreme fixture, but sadly the bulbs have finally been discontinued (that was a really awesome light!). I still have it for emergency backup if needed but the bulbs are ooooolllllddddd. I think I may replace the heater with something lower profile if I can find it, as well. I will probably get some C-Balance and dose a little every day or so, per Brandon's (of the vase reef) recommendations. I'd like to get some different foods and actually feed this tank (something I didn't realize would be so beneficial when I was younger). Everything in this tank is very experimental and subject to change. I'm just going to try things out and see how it goes.

Stocking plans:
I know I want a nice variety of macros, ricordea Florida, and especially some St. Thomas mushrooms--I had one in my first 5.5 and it was my favorite coral ever! I'd like a pom pom crab or two and some feather dusters, as those are my favorite inverts. Maybe a few more snails. Definitely NO HERMITS! I have had more bad experiences with hermits than good ones and flatly refuse to put them in my tanks at this time (the worst was a zebra hermit I threw onto a LiveAquaria order once. Little bastage terrorized my pom pom, harassed my dwarf feather dusters, assaulted my corals, and ate my awesome sargassum hitchiker down to a little nub--and then ate the nub. I hated him so much!).

I'm thinking about trying a candy cane or trumpet coral (inspired by Gena's lovely turquoise one and the aquamarine one Reef Gardner carries) and maybe a hammer or something (especially if I can find a purple one somewhere, though I haven't seen those in years). I'd like to try zoas again, though I have managed to swiftly kill every zoa that has passed through my hands--not sure why, when the rics and other mushrooms were just fine! I may try some shrimp (had sexies for a short time years ago and loved them but now keep reading about them eating corals... :huh: ), perhaps an anemone shrimp. I may try a small fish in here but am not sure on that (I have wanted a green banded goby ever since reading about c est ma's pair years ago). Perhaps, in time, I will try my hand at some sps too. I am also open to suggestions!

Here's the tank after I added the sand and played with the rock scape. I ended up taking out my largest rock because there just isn't room for it! I tried splitting it in half to see if I could use part in the tank but couldn't break it up. I am undecided on whether I love this scape but I do want a lot of open space rather than crowding the tank (at least for now!). Plus, having less rock leaves room for other stuff to be added later.

(obligatory cloudy tank shot--hopefully it shows up as this is my first time sharing pics on a forum! Please excuse the dirty glass--I forgot to wipe the drips off it first lol)

IMG_20170205_203557503_zpsowztds2x.jpg

I hadn't planned to start a thread just yet, but then LA Reefs got some more blue scroll in stock so I placed a small order this weekend. Can't wait till it comes and I can hopefully get started making this tank beautiful! I'll make a proper equipment list later--starting my new job tomorrow so I need to be off to bed soon!

Thanks for reading!

Lula Mae

• Like 7

Well, the water has cleared so you can see the rockwork. :) Snapped a quick pic but that is all I have energy for tonight lol. Long, busy day today! Now that I can see the scape clearly, I kinda like it. What do ya'll think?

IMG_20170206_205506803_HDR_zpsfsqsyim5.j

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

Looking good :) glad to be a source of inspiration!

If it were me, I would move the rock on the left closer to the one on the right so there was a little cave between them, and there would be some open space to the left. But I like asymmetry and negative space. and of course, much will depend on the growth patterns of whatever corals you add.

That rock will look very very colorful once its filled with ricordeas and mushrooms. Ricordea yumas are nice too. Maybe they can go well with florida Rics?

Looking good :) glad to be a source of inspiration!

If it were me, I would move the rock on the left closer to the one on the right so there was a little cave between them, and there would be some open space to the left. But I like asymmetry and negative space. and of course, much will depend on the growth patterns of whatever corals you add.

Thanks for the input. I will play around with that today or tomorrow and see how I like it. A little cave like that would be the perfect spot for a pom pom crab to hang out upside down! I did try to create a layout that had some negative space, especially with macros in the plans that might well grow to fill it (and maybe gorgs or something like that which adds height). I've had the packed-full-of-rocks look before and don't think I want to go that direction with this tank.

That rock will look very very colorful once its filled with ricordeas and mushrooms. Ricordea yumas are nice too. Maybe they can go well with florida Rics?

I agree, especially with some St. Thomas mushrooms! I think I want some rics on the sand bed too. I'll be honest, I cannot remember if yumas and floridas can live side by side harmoniously, but the only yuma I ever had didn't do as well as the floridas had done. :huh:

Was looking at some corals online last night and showed one to my husband and he saw the price ($27 or so) and he goes, "Twenty-seven dollars! That's it, I'm grounding you from reefing!" He's not a reefer lol. :lol:

Cut the light on and caught my two little dwarf ceriths on the rock together side by side! In the time it took for me to grab my phone, one of them decided to play shy and jumped to the sand. <_<

IMG_20170207_171559394_zpsmi6xjjon.jpg

(Pardon the dirty glass. I still haven't wiped it off. :closedeyes: )

• Like 1

I didnt know yumas are expensive there lol. My orange ricordea yuma in my jar reef is only 150 pesos, roughly 3.5 dollars. I bought a rock of bleached ricordeas in the LFS yesterday for only 50 pesos, roughly 1 dollar lol. Its a rescue buy and I'll make sure I will bring them back to their full potential :D plus my LTPs are bleached to and they recovered.

Im planning to buy some Rhodactis shrooms, will they go well near ricordeas?

I didnt know yumas are expensive there lol. My orange ricordea yuma in my jar reef is only 150 pesos, roughly 3.5 dollars. I bought a rock of bleached ricordeas in the LFS yesterday for only 50 pesos, roughly 1 dollar lol. Its a rescue buy and I'll make sure I will bring them back to their full potential :D plus my LTPs are bleached to and they recovered.

Im planning to buy some Rhodactis shrooms, will they go well near ricordeas?

Haha yeah, yuma's tend to be pricier than floridas. The ones I had were a dull greenish color and I only paid about $10 each for them on sale but they weren't all that pretty lol. Florida rics can be pricey too if they're nice colors but overall they're generally cheaper.

Nice find! I hope they do well for you. I just love rics, they are so beautiful! I honestly am not sure about Rhodactis sp. as I've never kept them and have forgotten a lot of what I used to know in the years where I wasn't paying much attention to my tanks. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

Macros are here!!! They are much bigger frags than I was expecting! Going to finish unpacking and work on getting them in the tank! :D

Macros are in! LA Reefs shipped them in nice sized individual bags of water. The frags are much larger than when I ordered four or so years ago! Very happy so far. Dipped in freshwater about 10 minutes (don't have any dipping solutions at the moment) and popped them in!

The box when I opened it!

f3cb2855-36e2-4679-be92-04cf7afd83dc_zps

Red palm:

IMG_20170208_161230773_zpsrphfcwfc.jpg

Dragon's breath:

IMG_20170208_161235647_zpsrk9givcp.jpg

Blue scroll:

IMG_20170208_161243646_zps15r3kn0b.jpg

Red branching macro:
IMG_20170208_161854628_zpssy3vmwnv.jpg

There was also a heat pack in there (good because it gets cold in this part of the country!).

After their freshwater bath, I put them in the tank. Three of the four were attached to frag plugs which I may try to change soon but am not feeling that motivated right now lol. I have the blue scroll up on the big rock and put another small rock on top to keep it from floating around while I decide where I want to put it.

Red palm:
IMG_20170208_170900617_zpsviadfvv2.jpg

Blue scroll:
IMG_20170208_170906102_zpszcg9ckux.jpg

Red branching. This one is much smaller and more delicate looking than I was expecting! Also more purplish under my lights than the bright red of the photo on the website. I think it's very pretty though!
IMG_20170208_170919385_zpszgydkiya.jpg

Dragon's breath:
IMG_20170208_170929023_zps8ezcnkf4.jpg

The blue scroll from above. You can just see a hint of the blue sheen this one is famous for!
IMG_20170208_171145001_zpso0cbg8go.jpg

Full tank shot:
IMG_20170208_171215960_zpsvjm2c5a6.jpg

Thanks for reading! :D

• Like 3

Looking really lovely! I want some red macros too in my tank but unfortunately there arent some for sale. I think I'll go to the beach soon to get some lol. Those red palms and dragon's breath look nice!

Looking really lovely! I want some red macros too in my tank but unfortunately there arent some for sale. I think I'll go to the beach soon to get some lol. Those red palms and dragon's breath look nice!

Thanks! Sadly the dragon's breath is not looking too hot right now, as you'll see in my pics momentarily. Is stuff gathered at the beach small enough to fit in your pico? If I wanted to gather from the beach I'd need a chiller as it's so cold up here!

The macros are settling in and coloring up--except for the dragon's breath, which is turning clear/white. :( I think it may be a goner. I did catch one of the snails out in the open and snagged a pic of his cuteness! :) A few pics since we all love those:

Sad looking dragon's breath :(

IMG_20170210_163001239_zps8z4roggu.jpg

The blue scroll's color is definitely intensifying!

IMG_20170209_221856946_zpspqds0qz6.jpg

One of my little dwarf ceriths:

IMG_20170210_162953920_zpskdy41rfz.jpg

FTS:

IMG_20170210_163016496_zps1xdn56w5.jpg

I need to do something about that mess of cords in the back...lol. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

Thanks! Sadly the dragon's breath is not looking too hot right now, as you'll see in my pics momentarily. Is stuff gathered at the beach small enough to fit in your pico? If I wanted to gather from the beach I'd need a chiller as it's so cold up here!

The macros are settling in and coloring up--except for the dragon's breath, which is turning clear/white. :( I think it may be a goner. I did catch one of the snails out in the open and snagged a pic of his cuteness! :) A few pics since we all love those:

Sad looking dragon's breath :(

IMG_20170210_163001239_zps8z4roggu.jpg

The blue scroll's color is definitely intensifying!

IMG_20170209_221856946_zpspqds0qz6.jpg

One of my little dwarf ceriths:

IMG_20170210_162953920_zpskdy41rfz.jpg

FTS:

IMG_20170210_163016496_zps1xdn56w5.jpg

I need to do something about that mess of cords in the back...lol. :closedeyes:

I live in a warm tropical country so its fine :D I remember seeing various red macros, grape caulerpa and Ulva sp. washed up on the beach. During low tide I can gather a couple of zoa frags, cloves and small rock anems. :D

However during those times I dont have a reef yet so I cant bring home some stuff

For the mess cords, a black cartolina taped behind will suffice :)

So I'm all about planted freshwater tanks, but I'd never thought of macro for a saltwater tank until I saw yours. I could see the macros being really beneficial for keeping nitrates down. I think I'll use some for mine! The scroll is cool!

I live in a warm tropical country so its fine :D I remember seeing various red macros, grape caulerpa and Ulva sp. washed up on the beach. During low tide I can gather a couple of zoa frags, cloves and small rock anems. :D

However during those times I dont have a reef yet so I cant bring home some stuff

For the mess cords, a black cartolina taped behind will suffice :)

Ooh, nice! Bet you could get quite a wild collection going lol. I'm not sure what black cartolina is but I did use a zip tie to hold some of it off to the side. Still looks a bit messy since my airline tube is black though. I'll mess with it more later.

So I'm all about planted freshwater tanks, but I'd never thought of macro for a saltwater tank until I saw yours. I could see the macros being really beneficial for keeping nitrates down. I think I'll use some for mine! The scroll is cool!

Hey, thanks! There are some really inspiring macro tanks around here on the forum! There's also a macroalgae subforum that I believe has a list of some. Some of the ones I've been inspired by include Weetabix's little macro pico, got2envy's macro tank from a few years back, yoshii's 10g and now her 5.5, gena's 10g and so many others (those are just a few off the top of my head). Poke around a little and you can see some amazing setups!

And yeah, the blue scroll is awesome, some people have it with a bright iridescent blue sheen that is just gorgeous!

Pics incoming soon! :ninja:

So today my husband picked me up from work, and as an early Valentine's day treat, he took me to a fish store we'd discovered while out of town last week, just after the store had closed for the day. :happy: They seem to have a nice selection of frags, though nothing I wanted (though the owner did show me a lovely red St. Thomas mushroom he has, but I wasn't going to spend $100 today lol). I did pick up a few pieces of live rock rubble to help seed some more coralline into the tank. I think he grabbed the piece that had what appeared to be a majano anemone on it, but of course once I got home, I couldn't figure out which piece it was. :rolleyes: There's also a few vermetid snails and of course I can't find any superglue that's not dried up either lol. <_< BUT several of the pieces have what appears to be zoa polyps! And I've spotted a baby bristleworm as well and there's a few tiny feather duster tubes on some of the rocks, so hopefully it will bring some more life into my tank (since all my feather dusters and bristleworms died in the move). One piece has a tiny red blade of some sort of macroalgae on it, and a couple strands of chaeto made it in the bag as well! He did ask, "You want something pretty?" and I said sure, so he gave me what appears to be an acropora or similar skeleton, but of course it's much too large for the space left in the tank lol. I also seem to have a diatom bloom, which is funny because in all these years, I'm not sure if I've ever really had them before! So I guess my tank is cycling a bit right now despite the rock being in water for several months (though in the dark).

FTS (tank's a little messy at the moment)
IMG_20170213_202542624_zpszndciagm.jpg

Chaeto and coralline. And vermetid stringies. :P
IMG_20170213_202631635_zpsmdseo3m5.jpg

Red vermetid tube in the middle, and down to the left of it, you can see a "polyp" of...something...opening up. lol. There's also a polyp of some sort inside that hole to the right of the vermetid, but the rock's at a poor angle to see it. :closedeyes:
IMG_20170213_202608763_zpsu5blv2dh.jpg

Another pic of the polyp thing opening up.
IMG_20170213_202614472_zpsknozddwh.jpg

In this pic, you can see the baby bristleworm at the bottom of that center rock, and a little polyp sticking out to the right there! The big gray black blob at the top of this little piece is...something, and behind it on another bit of the rock (not visible in pic) is another blob just like it...not sure what it is... :unsure: I think the whitish thing to the left of the blackish thing is a spongey-tunicatey thing. Like my scientific language? :lol: I think this rock also has some sort of macro on it, on the back side of it...sort of a tan/brown color, I think. Hopefully a good one and not invasive like dictoya lol. :rolleyes:
IMG_20170213_202625295_zpsojxfeoyv.jpg

See the rock in the center of the pic that's covered in coralline? On the bottom left side you can see that tiny red blade of macro!
IMG_20170213_204443330_zps2dje1thb.jpg

Side view of the rocks in the previous pic. On the rock in the center of the pic, you can see a fuzzy, out of focus polyp on the center of the rock.
IMG_20170213_202718100_zpsttyb7c0p.jpg

So that's all the excitement from my end today! We did go by a Petco looking for a feather duster but all we got was some plants for my freshwater tank lol. Oh, well. My husband got a betta and that counts for something, right? ;) Can't wait till everything opens up and shows me whether I should keep it or blast it with a torch lighter! :lol:

• Like 3

I remember you, welcome back!!!

All those people you mentioned in your first post were friends and also inspirations to me, was so nice to see their names!!

And I even got a mention, I feel so special!!! That little Macro Pico tank was published recently in a book by Alf Nilsen and Sven Fossa. Unfortunately, it's only been published in German in Europe, lol. But hey, I'll take it!!

Really love the Macros you got. The Dragon's Breath shouldn't be too hard to replace, it's one of the easier "Fancy" Macros to find. I'd say keep an eye on the livestock classified here or even just PM one of the members that you see has it in their tank and ask if they'd sell you some.

Nice to see you back!!

P.S.-- the "gray blob" looks like a closed Zoa Polyp to me.

I remember you, welcome back!!!

All those people you mentioned in your first post were friends and also inspirations to me, was so nice to see their names!!

And I even got a mention, I feel so special!!! That little Macro Pico tank was published recently in a book by Alf Nilsen and Sven Fossa. Unfortunately, it's only been published in German in Europe, lol. But hey, I'll take it!!

Really love the Macros you got. The Dragon's Breath shouldn't be too hard to replace, it's one of the easier "Fancy" Macros to find. I'd say keep an eye on the livestock classified here or even just PM one of the members that you see has it in their tank and ask if they'd sell you some.

Nice to see you back!!

P.S.-- the "gray blob" looks like a closed Zoa Polyp to me.

Thanks Weetie! :happy: I'm surprised you remember me, I was pretty shy on forums when I was younger and rarely posted. I think it was your little pico that inspired me to try Fiji Mud in my "refugium" (a hob filter lol) when I tried a 5.5 macro heavy tank a few years ago. I may try that again now that I've more time to attend to a tank (that one got neglected into a hair algae oblivion, iirc). I saw your post about your tank being published, so exciting! Hopefully it will eventually get translated into English so we can get it over here! B) I will definitely be keeping my eye out for more of the Dragon's Breath, though it hasn't lost any more color as far as I can tell so I'm not sure whether it's coming or going! I would be super happy if the gray blobs turn out to all be zoa polyps, and even more stoked if I can keep them alive lol (my zoa track record is worse than my house plant track record... :unsure: ).

I just turned on the lights while ago so I'm waiting for things to wake up, but the two polyp things on the top center rock have opened up so maybe someone can help me ID them! fingerscrossed

The rock in question (complete with vermetid strings on the scroll algae):

IMG_20170214_164046740_HDR_zpscf27yk5n.j

I zoomed in and cropped the picture so the polyps could be seen in better detail. You can see the little one on the left and the bigger one in the hole on the rock, on the right. They seem to have somewhat elongated stalks but I'm not quite sure what they are...anyone have any thoughts?

close%20up%20of%20polyp%20in%20rock_zpso

The little polyp on the right has at least turned himself upward! That's progress, right? :happydance:

IMG_20170214_164105247_HDR_zps2xf3f3cu.j

Looks like some kinda mini anemone to me.

Yep, I did the Fiji Mud. :)

Mebbe one of these days I'll get my act together and do a semi-serious attempt at a tank again.

The last few years have been pretty chaotic.

We'll see.

For now, I will enjoy everyone else's.

• Like 1

I think you're right. I went back over and looked, and noticed they were out more so I turned off the pumps and snapped a few pics (and zoomed in and cropped for better detail):
close%20up%20of%20polyp%20in%20rock%203_
close%20up%20of%20polyp%20in%20rock%205_
close%20up%20of%20polyp%20in%20rock%204_

I then moved the rock to the sand so I could keep a closer eye on it lol:
close%20up%20of%20polyp%20in%20rock%202_
close%20up%20of%20polyp%20in%20rock%206_

Majanos maybe?

My mom always says when my sister finally moves out and she's an empty nester, she's going to get a little dog lol. Until then she enjoys other people's pooches. Maybe the future tank can be your "little dog" when life calms down a bit. :lol: At least this way you get to enjoy all the pretties without all the work, right? :happy:

Yes, right!!

Might be Majano, but also be strawberry anemone. I think that's what they're called. Got a few once on some LR, they're harmless and fun to watch.

Well, there hasnt been much to report the last few days.  I did finally move the heater and find my suction cup thingies to hold the airline in place so the tank looks much neater:

IMG_20170218_000425139_zpslptezfzy.jpg

Zoas still haven't opened up though. :(

Then, today, I stopped by Petco and found it was a zoo--I've never seen it so packed!  People everywhere (usually when I go to this one it's early morning on a weekday so there's like two cars in the parking lot, and today it was full).  Nonetheless, I spotted something I wanted so I waited patiently till the guy was able to get it for me.  Got it home, drip acclimated for a while, and popped it in the tank...

Introducing my new feather duster!
IMG_20170219_002751373_zps6zvysaa5.jpg

IMG_20170219_002753229_zpskey23xhe.jpg

IMG_20170219_002854275_zpshawqufcx.jpg

IMG_20170219_002842760_zpsf6zbs7p9.jpg

IMG_20170219_002905903_zpsdsuxxhrm.jpg

IMG_20170219_002901979_zpsejtkilhn.jpg

Side view:
IMG_20170219_002820694_zpsns33h32f.jpg

Isn't it gorgeous?  I'm so stoked about the purple and yellow coloration, as purple is my favorite color and this is one of my favorite color combinations.  It's not very big, the crown is nearly as small as the dwarf dusters I've gotten from LiveAquaria in the past and the tube is no longer than my finger!  It has a random snail shell stuck to it, too :lol: (which can be seen in the side view).  Not 100% on placement but I like that it's so visible in that spot.

I did notice a little cluster of red feather dusters on a piece of live rock at Petco.  Too bad the rock was bigger than my tank!  They also had a duster stuck in one of their rocks that was white with black lines and tipping, which I've not seen before (usually I see shades of brown lol).  I also had fun (while the guy was pulling the duster for me) explaining to a little girl and her mom what the feather duster is. :happy:

Oh, and one thing I noticed yesterday that I forgot to mention is that on one of the little rubble pieces I bought, I noticed a tiny bubble or two that look suspiciously like botryocladia.  :D

So that's about it for today, it's warmed up in the northeast and I am roasting in my apartment lol.  Hope the landlord turns the heat down soon!

And before I forget...FTS:

IMG_20170219_002722767_zpspacnciyd.jpg

• Like 6

Love the feather duster! As for the zoas mine took a couple of days to really open up and now they are thriving even under my low lighting.

Forgot to mention! Look for any small aptasia in between the polyps. Half my original colony was closed still a week after I got it and then I saw the small aptasia and once I got rid of that they all opened up.

Haha you posted as I was posting on your thread!  I'll take a look later, though the zoas were little individual hitchhiker polyps that came on some live rock rubble I picked up last week.  I was hoping they would do well though as I love zoas even though I've always had trouble keeping them alive. :(

I like the featherduster, glad you found something new that you're really happy with!!

I've noticed that Zoas get unhappy when magnesium levels are low, although that's trickier to test for. Just a thought that popped into my head....