Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

.5 Gallon Cube Pico

ajkochev

Just started this this week:

*.5 Gallon PetSmart TopFin Calm All Glass Betta Tank

*DIY Filtration area made out of Black Styrene Modeling Sheets .030" Thick

*AquaOne P150 40 GPH powerhead turned way down.

*Stock lighting that comes with the tank just added some transparent blue plastic to make it look more blue.

*Filtration media is Walmart Aqua-tech Hex 5 filter pad with carbon. (I've used these for years on reef tanks)

*In the future I'll be adding a teaspoon each of Purigen and Chempure Elite to a media bag for additional filtration.

No heater is in the tank but it is staying n the mid 70's temperature wise which is room temperature. Nothing is glued in the tank everything is removable.

I was thinking just having it be a small invert tank but might be able to keep mushrooms in it. What do you think, am I nuts to try this? Thinking just a couple hermits and a small cleaner shrimp for now.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

post-52587-0-34871000-1486335829_thumb.jpg

post-52587-0-88638000-1486335837_thumb.jpg

post-52587-0-17322700-1486335846_thumb.jpg

post-52587-0-08427000-1486335863_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Ooh that could be very pretty! And it's small enough you could actually find a pom pom crab in it (they like to hang upside down from overhangs, and hide lol). :lol: I had a pom pom in 3/4 gallon once temporarily and he would come out and sit on the front rock after lights out, the little cutie!

Week one.

I made a hood out of 1/2 inch hardwood frame and particle board. Inside painted silver outside black with electrical tape over all the edges to help hide the rough spots. Ecoxotic EcoPico LED White/Blue light I had lying around used.

A question on Ecoxotic. How come they have stopped making these and other products their current product line has only three items. I was thinking of setting up another tank like this and using their White/Pink light for a freshwater planted. Why has the company stopped making lights for the hobbyist?

post-52587-0-54301500-1486749201_thumb.jpg

post-52587-0-21485400-1486749210_thumb.jpg

post-52587-0-23018600-1486749231_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 0:53 PM, ajkochev said:

Week one.

I made a hood out of 1/2 inch hardwood frame and particle board. Inside painted silver outside black with electrical tape over all the edges to help hide the rough spots. Ecoxotic EcoPico LED White/Blue light I had lying around used.

A question on Ecoxotic. How come they have stopped making these and other products their current product line has only three items. I was thinking of setting up another tank like this and using their White/Pink light for a freshwater planted. Why has the company stopped making lights for the hobbyist?

post-52587-0-54301500-1486749201_thumb.jpg

post-52587-0-21485400-1486749210_thumb.jpg

post-52587-0-23018600-1486749231_thumb.jpg

I am in love with this. 

I have one of those little ecoxotic led strips, but mine is blue. I use it as a supplemental light over my 4g Pico, which also has an 18w Power Compact Perchlight over it. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

4-11-2018

An update after a year and a month.  Most of my zoas died but the green star took off.  Had to thin out the xenia last month.  Thinking of finding more mushrooms which are my favorite.

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
15 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Now the shrimp looks HUGE haha. How do you keep the glass clean with such small space?

Everything lifts out.  The rock is all one piece and the overflow at the back comes out.  Weekly the rock comes out and glass is cleaned for a water change and monthly both it and the overflow pump comes out to get cleaned.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's great to see this little half gallon pico reef thriving @ajkochev! How long have you had the cleaner shrimp now?

He has been in there for about a year now.  Gets a very small chunk of shrimp or nori every other day.  Only what he can eat all at once so no food spoils in the tank.  I'd like to think he is happy, he is very active and like to hang out at the front of the tank mostly.  Still I think I should have went with Sexy Shrimp but they are hard to come by in my LFS.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My baby brittle star made a full appearance tonight.  Usually I just see his arms between the rock work.  I got him on a frag over a year ago, not sure which one.  By far the best hitchhiker I've ever got.

Brittlestar.jpg

• Like 6