Cultivated Reef

Wild salinity swings with an AIO Innovative Marine 10

BostonWaterBox

BostonWaterBox

I'm not certain this is the proper forum to open this discussion but I am seeking some advice to help solve a new salinity problem I'm experiencing with my 9 month old tank.

About 3 weeks ago I experienced a major salinity swing from about 1.0245 to about 1.022. It was pretty obvious that my Tunze nano ATO system added too much fresh water as the water level was way above the float valve. I allowed the system to slowly return to 1.0245 by turning off the ATO and allowing evaporation to slowly increase salinity. Because this was the first salinity swing I've encountered I considered that it was a one-off event and monitored the system. Then this morning it happened again; the salinity is back to 1.022 and the water level of the tank is high.

Over the last month I've done regular maintenance/cleaning of the main return pump. Additionally, I've also added more snails to the system. My best guess is that snails are blocking the return flow during the night, activating the ATO float, and consequently causing fresh water to be added to the system that is not due to evaporation loss. The other alternative is that the main pump is more efficiently returning water from the sump (independent of the snails). Given that it doesn't happen every night the snails seem like the likely culprit.

I'm not certain how to prevent this problem. Perhaps choke down the main pump and put the ATO system on a timer so that it is off at night when the snails are active? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BostonWaterBox

Thanks GP. I have a "fish guard" for the overflow. Unfortunately, the fish guard significantly reduces the flow back to the sump chamber and therefore creates the same problem. Choking down the main return pump with an in-line ball valve might be my only option...

I'm guessing you have some big snails that might be hanging out on the teeth of the return, like nerites? They don't move quick, though, I'd think you would spot them sitting there at night.

Archived