Coral Vue Hydros

The Nursery- 7 babies are in the NICU!

FlowerMama

Hows the flower mama?

I see what you did there..lol

About patience...

And now I'm confused.

I had .25 ammonia yesterday for the first time so I bought some Bio Spira, put that in 15 mins ago and decided what the heck, I'll check ammonia again.

ZERO. I was told that the Bio Spira would not show up in readings so it didn't just fix it.

I don't have a nitrite kit.

I checked nitrates.

ZERO.

So now I wonder if I wasted $17 on a 3.38 oz bottle of starter. Could it really be possible it zipped through that fast as I used a shot glass of existing substrate and rocks that were from my 10g? A 24 hr cycle??And I'll have my filter sock soon and then I can later add carbon to it. With only 4 babies going in I'm not going to have lots of waste so it'll be a good while before I probably even need carbon.

My friend here said, no, you've probably cycled. You had waste. It's gone now! I'm going to get through Sat and Sun and if all good Sun night still I'll put in 4 anemones because that's all I have that are not stuck to the rocks. The other 27 are stuck in crevices.

Tank has had water since 6 days ago. Only yesterday registered for ammonia at .25, that's it. Today I have no ammonia, and no nitrates. I've had a transfer and it still take 2 wks to cycle, but nothing this quick.

Honestly FM I would still give it a week before adding any of your beautiful anemones but thats just me. Biospira is very potent so im not surprised it expedited your cycle.

Tank looks great so far.

I see what you did there..lol

Honestly FM I would still give it a week before adding any of your beautiful anemones but thats just me. Biospira is very potent so im not surprised it expedited your cycle.

Tank looks great so far.

Well, I put the Bio Spira in today, not yesterday when I found the ammonia, and checked the water 5 mins later as an afterthought as I forgot to measure ammonia before I added it, wanted to see where I was. And I was told it would not affect my reading if I measured. Like it wouldn't give me some false reading. There's no way it even had time to work though in 5 mins of my ammonia test. I guess I'll see if I still get diatoms.

Thanks, I like this tank too. My biggest issue is what kind of clean up crew to have aside from my razor or algae sponge when it's time.

I was out most of the day, checked my tank when I got home almost 2 hrs ago, nitrates zero and I had orange/brown dots on the outflow tube. Has to be diatoms. So, I decided to put in the shell w/ the 2 flowers and then sucked up 2 with the baster, hopefully I got them, and pushed them out the baster. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. There is a smaller flower behind this one of the opening. I haven't seen the other 2 grey ones yet, will be harder to spot.

20170212_213629_zps3nhocbuf.jpg

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for the babies fingerscrossed

Right! The transition from gradual lighting to non will probably be the most difficult. I hope I got the other 2, no way of knowing as when they ball up they look like a piece of substrate. Then when I took those out of the 40 I basted some areas I hadn't basted in a while, kicked up some nasties. I'll definitely let everyone know how the 4 do. They were only in the light for an hour before the tank light just went out. Hopefully they get a good night's rest.

• Like 1

Could you tell us again what you are feeding the babies and how often? I have a couple of nickel sized nems in my tank that just don't seem to want to grow, or settle down in a spot that's easy for me to feed them. I'm thinking they need something other than mysis two times a week.

• Like 1

Could you tell us again what you are feeding the babies and how often? I have a couple of nickel sized nems in my tank that just don't seem to want to grow, or settle down in a spot that's easy for me to feed them. I'm thinking they need something other than mysis two times a week.

I feed twice a week, I'll get several jumbo scallops, maybe 6-8 shrimp and cut it when I need it. SO they get scallop sometime, shrimp sometime, mysis shrimp, cyclopeeze sometime, and babies get some just hatched baby brine shrimp. You may also want to put a little Fuel or some kind of liquid supplement- sometimes I put a 1-2 drops of oyster feast in the shotglass. put 2/3 water in there, let it sit and then feed.

I love the nursery! I hope your flower business really takes off and then you can quit your day job and focus on something you really love :).

Yeah, that would be great except it takes so long for them to grow and I need health insurance.

Here are 2 new pics. There are 2 in the shell but the other one is below the one sticking out.

20170213_200245_zpsjispmxsb.jpg

Then there were 2 grey ones in back. Well, I saw they were still back in the 40, so I did a poor job of sucking tehm up with the baster so I tried again. Still can't find one but I got the other. And I have lots of orange dots, diatoms, on the substrate.

20170213_200234_zps9awiyupz.jpg

looking good!!!

Thank You! I didn't get any birthings over that celestial weekend like I hoped. But, now I am ready as soon as they crawl out I'll suck them up & drop them into the nursery. I know, nothing exciting in the nursery- no fish, no plastic plants, nothing. I guess I need to think about what cuc to get. Need to put something in the display and the sump.

• Like 3

There are only 3, the 4th was stuck to a rock underneath it so that's why I was failing basting it up.

But it's feeding time and these 3 are getting fed. So cool there's no fish or clown to tip the food out.

20170214_191628_zpsbs3zsorb.jpg

20170214_191724_zpslaf2bka8.jpg

I should keep track how many babies I put in the nursery every month.

February 3

• Like 2

This is such a cool little set-up and great idea. It will be a lot of fun to see how this progresses and what you do with it. I think it's a great idea to maintain a count of how many babies you put in the nursery :)

• Like 1

This is such a cool little set-up and great idea. It will be a lot of fun to see how this progresses and what you do with it. I think it's a great idea to maintain a count of how many babies you put in the nursery :)

And I fed at 7, at this time they're still trying to swallow it. But it's soooo cute. You can see the rim of the mouth on this one now so it's getting there. Eventually I want to sell them to my local club and we have 101 members now and you'd have to drive 2 hrs for the possibility of getting one.

20170214_204311_zpsnb9hstgg.jpg

• Like 1

3 hrs later they're still trying to eat. I guess the clowns always must have finished them off because I'd see all the food gone after like 5 mins mostly. Well, I'm gonna turn the pump & flow on again. I wanted them to have 3 hrs of uninterrupted time without flow to chow down. Guess I'll have to try to cut the pieces smaller.

• Like 1

Great! Hi. I'm Annette. I learn so much here. Love this place!! Thanks for joining. My flowers gave birth to 66 nems at Thanksgiving, down to like 30 or so that I can count. So, 3 are now in here, all the others are stuck on the rock in my 40g. And I don't want to chisel away since they're so dang tiny so I'm going to have to wait til they've grown to try pry them off to put them in this grow out tank. My ladies are overdo for birthing so I am hoping it's soon!!

Yeah, that would be great except it takes so long for them to grow and I need health insurance.

Well, maybe in 10 years you will be at that point fingerscrossed. How fast do they grow? It probably wouldn't even take that long :D.
  • Like 1

I believe Stella said 6 mos to get dime size!  I did feed the 3 in the tank here today and the babies in the 40.  Now I see just how much the clowns have been taking the food from the babies.  They're right there for every flower I feed there, every baby, watching, watching, trying to snatch it from the large tweezers.

I FINALLY found 1 new baby, just grey or white but I sucked it up & put it in the Nursery.  I haven't see it yet, it could be underneath some gravel so I hope it climbs out.  These things when they ball up look like the gravel.  Diatoms everywhere and some brown diatom little hairs too.  I put one of my scarlet hermits in to help.  I'll do a water change on Sunday.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FlowerMama said:

I believe Stella said 6 mos to get dime size!  I did feed the 3 in the tank here today and the babies in the 40.  Now I see just how much the clowns have been taking the food from the babies.  They're right there for every flower I feed there, every baby, watching, watching, trying to snatch it from the large tweezers.

I FINALLY found 1 new baby, just grey or white but I sucked it up & put it in the Nursery.  I haven't see it yet, it could be underneath some gravel so I hope it climbs out.  These things when they ball up look like the gravel.  Diatoms everywhere and some brown diatom little hairs too.  I put one of my scarlet hermits in to help.  I'll do a water change on Sunday.

Wow...they are slow growers!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gena said:

Wow...they are slow growers!

Yep!   Takes a lot of time.  Now Stella said she didn't really purposely feed hers, it ate what floated to it.  I'm hoping by feeding them a little every day in the nursery they will grow more quickly.  And with those clowns it's why I have to remove them quickly.   It's a challenge.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, FlowerMama said:

Yep!   Takes a lot of time.  Now Stella said she didn't really purposely feed hers, it ate what floated to it.  I'm hoping by feeding them a little every day in the nursery they will grow more quickly.  And with those clowns it's why I have to remove them quickly.   It's a challenge.

I'm sure every tank is different.  Who knows....yours might grow really fast because you have that magic flower touch :).

• Like 3

I was going to post a pic under the Bloomin' tank but it wasn't working, not found so I'll do it here.  Hair cut yesterday.  This 2/21/17 will be a year since I last dyed my hair.  I'm so loving it. Natural is not synonymous with looking old.   I predict another 8-12 mos before I'm done.  The middle top and back are salt n' pepper but more grey is coming in slowly.  

20170218_152753_zpskwcbkqsa.jpg

20170218_153525_zpsoe2pzueg.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Update!   I found another baby nem that was in the front glass of the 40.  Now she's in the Nursery.  I'm hoping she's one I had before w/ the purple in the tentacles.

20170228_200730_zpsvyphulyl.jpg

I should have 7 but I only see 5.  I had a little algae come up so left the light off some in the display but only turned it on for an hour or so in the evening.  I also crack part of the shell that was in there with 2 heads when the algae got a little thick, so the 2 could have freedom to move off the shell.  I only see one of those now.  

More pics.

The smallest that I see.

20170228_201127_zpsk8eo0d12.jpg

20170228_200953_zps6c2owzmr.jpg

20170228_200938_zpsjzxvp9kc.jpg

This one is becoming my favorite in the nursery.

20170228_200929_zpsgvfqljhj.jpg

I have so many red/orange or red ones in the Bloomin' tank but I can't remove the babies.  I have to wait for so many of them to move on the rock and out of a crevice or at the end of a rock to try chip it off.

• Like 3