Pod Your Reef

The Nursery- 7 babies are in the NICU!

FlowerMama

Welcome to The Nursery!!!. 18 x 18 x 8 It's probably like 12 g total.

The Nursery has been set up. Water is heated and now salted. There is a tiny drip drain side but I'm not concerned with it as it's just following the drain pipe down. I'll need to make an IV drip ATO. Thanks to SkinnyBunny for the drip line. I'm going to let the salt mix up overnight before I add the substrate and rock

I love this tank!!! And it's starfire glass, what a deal from a local club member. Unreal.

Just owe him $100 in rock flowers once they've grown.

Unsalted.

20170204_152527_zps6dmffleg.jpg

Salted.

20170204_164557_zps8yqapsol.jpg

Ordered socks for the sump.

20170204_172931_zpsloxsdjyh.jpg

All I gotta do now is add the substrate up top and the rock below tomorrow. And add lights for top & bottom, opposite lighting schedule.

20170204_173423_zps6fqelnlf.jpg

20170204_175835_zpsfchanjig.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good! Where did the tank come from?

Local reefer had Glass Cages make it. The glass is starfire 10mm thick. He made the stand and I just painted it and added hardware.

I have 3 options for lighting. All bulbs. 2 Par 38, one is more blue, other is more lavender and then the Par 30 from Coral Compulsion is the only one that's dimmable. One Par 38 has to be over Gertie's tank since the Green acid bta was moved there.

Here are the differences using the previous 10g. It's still going to look different over this tank as it's only 6.5" deep.

20170115_221039_zps5q19mquw.jpg

20170115_220618_zpspm3hbjkh.jpg

20170115_220539_zpskvt4eecx.jpg

Later once the substrate is in I'll probably check the 3 bulbs again.

• Like 2
flatlandreefer

Local reefer had Glass Cages make it. The glass is starfire 10mm thick. He made the stand and I just painted it and added hardware.

I was thinking it was a glass cages tank. Are you happy with the build quality? Also what are you planning on putting in this tank? Rock Nems?

• Like 1

Oh, the new tank looks so nice and sleek. Can't wait to see it filled with fun stuff.

Me too. I'm excited though at first it will only have like 4 rock flowers, so it'll be a while before it's filled up! I'm looking forward to that future picture that is nothing but tons of rock flowers.

• Like 2

I was thinking it was a glass cages tank. Are you happy with the build quality? Also what are you planning on putting in this tank? Rock Nems?

Yes, once the babies are born I'll try to remove them immediately to this grow out tank. I have like 40 babies right now however only 4 are not currently on rocks. I've tried moving them to one location so I could feed but they ran off. And of course ,the largest ones, 1/4" are the ones that ran off.

So far yes, though I do see he added some black silicone himself to a spot on the tank but I didn't ask him about it. I know he wouldn't have sold it if it had a leak. It doesn't bother me as it'll be covered w/ 1/2" of substrate and it doesn't leak. Yes it's blemished but to be paid $100 in rock flower anemones and that's it??? Yeah, it's a winner with me.

Here's the spot on the right side of the tank.

20170204_191947_zpsr9e2fenr.jpg

And this is a basic bulb I'll be putting below for some lighting with a little hook and picture wire, nothing fancy, just so the live rock isn't in the dark.

20170204_190430_zps7q5j0uqs.jpg

• Like 1

What is the way to quiet down the drain pipe? Was it putting airline tubing down the center leaving it sit out of the water? I have both the thin tubing in black and clear.

I did test here and drilled a 1/8" hole into the return tube so it stops the siphon action. All good where I have it now, w/ all water returning it leaves me with a 1.5" space so it doesn't overflow.

Still waiting for water to get to warmer temp, it's currently about 74. The salinity is 1.024 at the moment. I'm going to assume overnight it'll clear up and then tomorrow I'll add the substrate and rock.

• Like 1

Ok, I found both clear and black airline tubing. I drilled a hole down the center of the return. I tried clear but it was getting twisted inside. I tried the sturdier and slightly wider black airline tubing and that did the trick. Got rid of 95% of the gurgling. What I have is minimal now.

20170204_214738_zpsokmqmmqp.jpg

• Like 1

I just went through the same thing with my durso. The airline tubing did the trick and got rid of most of the noise, but only if I keep the flow fairly slow through the return.

• Like 1

I just went through the same thing with my durso. The airline tubing did the trick and got rid of most of the noise, but only if I keep the flow fairly slow through the return.

Glad I got this pump. It rotates on the front how fast or slow you want the flow to return. I let my friend Randi play with it some while we were checking things out today. So, it's like you don't need a ball joint is the way I view that, I find that pretty cool.

Love this Sicce 2.0 pump, so dang quiet. I've never had one so quiet.

20170204_225811_zpsraagpmvp.jpg

Congrats getting the nursery tank set up!!

Thank You! I'm thrilled. Water is really cloudy, hoping that will fix itself overnight then I'll add substrate & rocks tomorrow. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I know this will be the grow out tank for the babies which is great but I wonder if it would help the biology to have a fish in there?. I want to avoid it as I want this to be a screen free tank. I was thinking I'd stick my coral banded in the sump. Do you think I need more than that? And of course some snails.

• Like 1

I have live rock down below and substrate above. I found I'll need like a stick-up hook inside as the stand brace underneath is not thick enough for me to drill a normal hook in for the light. You know the ones that you can peel off later.

20170205_165234_zpsrqqxgka0.jpg

• Like 2

That is a strange overflow. No skimmer teeth is odd. You should put a gate valve on the drain and slow it down some so the water doesn't fall so far. You want it about half an inch below the top of the overflow. That will make your setup almost completely silent.

• Like 1

I just remembered to put a shot glass of substrate from the 40 into the nursery. I also put the Par 30 over it just for now. It's clearing up more.

Temp is 76 so I adjusted it but it's an old timey one but it works better right now than the one that was in the 10g. If I can get it to 78 I'll be happy enough, if it can't I'll get a Finnex one like I have in the parent tank.

20170205_202716_zpse06xl3mf.jpg

• Like 1

That is a strange overflow. No skimmer teeth is odd. You should put a gate valve on the drain and slow it down some so the water doesn't fall so far. You want it about half an inch below the top of the overflow. That will make your setup almost completely silent.

Well, currently if I turn off the pump, the water stops 1.5" short of spilling over the sump so I can't add much water to the system. Let me see if I can turn the flow on the pump to less. Do you think that would help? Or is it just about the drain and not the return? In general I am surprised at how little water is in the overflow area.

20170205_203743_zpsxfgjinwg.jpg

• Like 1

Well, currently if I turn off the pump, the water stops 1.5" short of spilling over the sump so I can't add much water to the system. Let me see if I can turn the flow on the pump to less. Do you think that would help? Or is it just about the drain and not the return? In general I am surprised at how little water is in the overflow area.

20170205_203743_zpsxfgjinwg.jpg

If you slow down the drain/overflow you won't have to increase the water quantity. It will lower the volume in the sump some and fill the overflow more. You need to have the overflow box mostly full of water.

• Like 2

Wait.... Do you have baffles in the sump? If not you need to get atleast one to create a "return chamber" so you can monitor evaporation and set up your top off. That return chamber is the only one that will change water level during evaporation.

If you slow down the drain/overflow you won't have to increase the water quantity. It will lower the volume in the sump some and fill the overflow more. You need to have the overflow box mostly full of water.

It's very odd to me how big the drain is for this thing. 1" tubing, I wonder why they felt the drain cage had to be so big? There's not much water going down the drain anyway. I'll check out Lowes tomorrow after work.

Wait.... Do you have baffles in the sump? If not you need to get atleast one to create a "return chamber" so you can monitor evaporation and set up your top off. That return chamber is the only one that will change water level during evaporation.

No, I went baffleless as it's a 5.5g, that's all that will fit. The 5.5 g is 16" L x 8"W x10"H. So once you put the pump in and the heater and the rock, there's not much room for anything else.

I agree it is a strange overflow. It's scary without an emergency drain. I'm very excited to the the nursery grow some stuff! Maybe I'll jump on it this week and set up a frag system.

• Like 1

No, I went baffleless as it's a 5.5g, that's all that will fit. The 5.5 g is 16" L x 8"W x10"H. So once you put the pump in and the heater and the rock, there's not much room for anything else.

Well if you don't plan on a skimmer no baffles will be fine. But it will be hard to dial in the return and ato setup. Either way try and slow down the overflow and maybe turn up the return slightly.

• Like 1

Well if you don't plan on a skimmer no baffles will be fine. But it will be hard to dial in the return and ato setup. Either way try and slow down the overflow and maybe turn up the return slightly.

Yeah, I have room for a sock and was thinking just a hospital drip line for ATO hanging at the top of the stand on the left side. I used to have Tunze in my 60g and 34g and I had many problems with them. I bought a Smart ATO which had a bad sensor so I said forget it and this is the only tank that will have one then.