Top Shelf Aquatics

Don't do what I did.

FollyFish

Today I covered a 1 inch gap that ran along a quarter of the back of my tank just where the filter and heater is attached. The rest of the back was covered by the light so not a concern.

For weeks I have been watching my Fairy Wrasse swim back and forth, up and down along the back of the tank. I kept thinking that when I have some time off I will get some plastic and cover that little gap. During this time I would also watch my roommates cat as he would watch the fish. Every time the Wrasse would get to the front of the tank and the cat was there, the cat would go up on his back legs and slap the glass with his front paw. Scaring the fish into the rock work. I starting to think that I really should get around to covering that tiny gap in the cover at the back of the tank.

This morning I left for work and everyone was fine. The lights were not on but I could see all 3 of my fish sleeping in there normal places. Today was going to be a short day at work, only gone 9 hours.

I came back from work, made some food sat down in the living room where the tank is to watch some TV while I ate. Before I had to go to another room to do some more work. It was then I noticed the Clownfish in his normal swimming place and the Tailspot darting up to a powerhead to eat before going back under a Duncan coral, but no Wrasse. I got up and went to the tank looked around the rockwork, used a flashlight. Turned off everything to show that it was time to eat, everyone else came to the front, even the fire shrimp. But no Wrasse. I took the partial cover off and lifted up some of the rocks...no Wrasse. I looked at the floor all around the tank and found the cat sitting at the front of the tank by my leg watching the fish.

Today I got a piece of plastic to cover the massive gap in the lid that was at the back of my tank.

RIP Aden...I'm sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building a pico and I have a devil of a cat. Would love to keep it open but I'll probably have to add a lid. Don't plan on having any jumpers but I can just see him trying to jump up and falling straight in the tank...better safe than sorry I guess. Didn't even think about it until I read this. Thanks for the good reminder. RIP Aden.

On 2/19/2017 at 10:09 AM, SaltyBuddha said:

I'm building a pico and I have a devil of a cat. Would love to keep it open but I'll probably have to add a lid. Don't plan on having any jumpers but I can just see him trying to jump up and falling straight in the tank...better safe than sorry I guess. Didn't even think about it until I read this. Thanks for the good reminder. RIP Aden.

I thought the same thing about avoiding jumpers and wanting an open top.....until a blacker ice clown jumped. Built a new top immediately. 

Archived