Coral Vue Hydros

Mounting Nanobox under a hood

vilenarios

First off, the Nanobox Mini Tide M that I purchased is probably the coolest piece of tech that I own currently. It puts out a perfect amount of power, and the Bluefish controller is just awesome. SO glad that its being actively updated and not just a piece of software that gets outdated quickly. The whole blinkup process blew my mind... but as an IT architect, cool tech integrations can do that to me.

Anyway, Im trying to come up with a better solution to mounting my Mini Tide to underneath the hood on my Fluval Edge 12G. Im hoping to keep it somewhat snug to the top, leaving perhaps half an inch of space for some circulation. Would this be enough? Has anyone mounted this unit before?

Right now, i just took the 2 loops, drilled a small hole at the top and used a little u-bracket (no idea what its actually called) to hold the light in place.

NmYloJK.jpg

Its working, but every time i take the top off, the light moves, and it hangs down JUST far enough where sometimes, the corner of the light will hit my loc line nozzle, and cause the other end of the light to dip in the top of the water.

H510j5u.jpg

Any tips?

I have 2 ideas- First is to use 2 hooks on the sides and one wire to each side to be more tight and less wiggle.

Second- use 4 long screws and go through the top and into where the 'lid" is. You could use a bolt to hold in place at a certain length as well.

I would cut an opening on the "top" you are using right above the fan of the nanobox. With the nanobox mounted like that you are circulating warm air, you are going to shorten the life of your unit.

I would cut an opening on the "top" you are using right above the fan of the nanobox. With the nanobox mounted like that you are circulating warm air, you are going to shorten the life of your unit.

+1 on that idea

I see the bandbox seems to have a gooseneck attached.. why not just use that and eliminate the "top" you are using? Maybe have a sheet of plastic/acrylic to cover the top of the tank if you don't want it open. Would look cleaner imo

I see the bandbox seems to have a gooseneck attached.. why not just use that and eliminate the "top" you are using? Maybe have a sheet of plastic/acrylic to cover the top of the tank if you don't want it open. Would look cleaner imo

I think that is the power cord not a gooseneck. If you are going to cut a hole for the fan why not just make the hole big enough for the light and figure a way to mount the light to the top of the lid instead of inside? I'm not sure if you would be able to make it look good though but it seems a shame to hide one of Dave's lights.

First off, the Nanobox Mini Tide M that I purchased is probably the coolest piece of tech that I own currently. It puts out a perfect amount of power, and the Bluefish controller is just awesome. SO glad that its being actively updated and not just a piece of software that gets outdated quickly. The whole blinkup process blew my mind... but as an IT architect, cool tech integrations can do that to me.

Anyway, Im trying to come up with a better solution to mounting my Mini Tide to underneath the hood on my Fluval Edge 12G. Im hoping to keep it somewhat snug to the top, leaving perhaps half an inch of space for some circulation. Would this be enough? Has anyone mounted this unit before?

Right now, i just took the 2 loops, drilled a small hole at the top and used a little u-bracket (no idea what its actually called) to hold the light in place.

NmYloJK.jpg

Its working, but every time i take the top off, the light moves, and it hangs down JUST far enough where sometimes, the corner of the light will hit my loc line nozzle, and cause the other end of the light to dip in the top of the water.

H510j5u.jpg

Any tips?

Add some holes for ventilation on the back side. You will be fine after that.

-Dave

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Definitely a good point on the ventilation - I had not thought of that.

I definitely feel bad for hiding such an awesome light. If I mounted it on top of the box id be worried the coverage of the sides of the tank may get blocked. I definitely need to keep the box on top of the Edge to hide the overflow. Ill be trying to fix it this week, along with repainting the box and drilling more holes for ventilation.

Archived