Top Shelf Aquatics

Clownfish Has Not Eaten (that I know of) In A Month

Ok, let me start this out by giving some details.

29gal bio cube. Has been running for 4,5,6 ???? years ? cannot remember for my life honestly.

Last water change 2 or 3? (at least) years ago...... yes you read that right. I only top off with distilled water and test salinity (which is currently fine). The tank has been growing macro algae which I pretty much never trim, although there is plenty of swimming room. The algae are literally rooted onto every inch of sand and rock. Besides a large dark spot that the fish normally is

The only fish is the one clownfish of "unknown species" (pic provided maybe you guys know? Can't remember at all)

There are tons of pods, some extremely small snails, spaghetti worms and bristle worms

This guy has been with me for the entire life of the tank so he's pretty old was already an adult when I received him from the LFS, although I don't feel like this has anything to do with the issue at hand.

Fins and eye color look very good. I've tried feeding Mysis shrimp, Marine Cusine, and flakes. (It has been on a diet of a few types of flakes for the last few years.) Just stopped eating one day, I guess it could be eating something in the tank. Maybe the algae or pods? I've even tried shooting it with food almost directly with a syringe.

pic the best I could get before it went back into hiding.

I'm going to try to update with water params asap. Need to borrow a friends kit.

post-93218-0-97702500-1486096983_thumb.jpg

Ok, let me start this out by giving some details.

29gal bio cube. Has been running for 4,5,6 ???? years ? cannot remember for my life honestly.

Last water change 2 or 3? (at least) years ago...... yes you read that right. I only top off with distilled water and test salinity (which is currently fine). The tank has been growing macro algae which I pretty much never trim, although there is plenty of swimming room. The algae are literally rooted onto every inch of sand and rock. Besides a large dark spot that the fish normally is

The only fish is the one clownfish of "unknown species" (pic provided maybe you guys know? Can't remember at all)

There are tons of pods, some extremely small snails, spaghetti worms and bristle worms

This guy has been with me for the entire life of the tank so he's pretty old was already an adult when I received him from the LFS, although I don't feel like this has anything to do with the issue at hand.

Fins and eye color look very good. I've tried feeding Mysis shrimp, Marine Cusine, and flakes. (It has been on a diet of a few types of flakes for the last few years.) Just stopped eating one day, I guess it could be eating something in the tank. Maybe the algae or pods? I've even tried shooting it with food almost directly with a syringe.

pic the best I could get before it went back into hiding.

I'm going to try to update with water params asap. Need to borrow a friends kit.

this will be a can-o-worms thread, but does the clowns stomach look sunken or thin at all? and what was your normal feeding schedule

If it's not getting any thinner, it's definitely eating something.

By the way, that looks like a Clarkii clownfish. Some varieties have dark, nearly black body with yellow fins and a yellow mouth.

this will be a can-o-worms thread, but does the clowns stomach look sunken or thin at all? and what was your normal feeding schedule

Ya, I figure we will not find an answer at least until I get the full parameters. Fish looks very healthy no obvious signs of illness as far as I am aware. As far as the schedule, lights on around 9 am feeding late afternoon 3-6pm I'd say. Normally the fish hides ALL of the time besides when I feed it. For example, it normally stays deep within the live rock. Throw in some flakes and it would come out instantly.

Did not really think of it as strange at the time; at least for a few days until I realized it wasn't coming. So I sat down on the sofa and started watching all the food get sucked in the filter for a week.

Somehow I came to the conclusion that he finally croaked. So I stopped feeding.

Okay, now you probably realise I'm the idiot that did not check to actually see with my eyes if the fish was alive or dead. But the fish and I had the feeding time down so solid it was in my mind that my friend must be dead after not coming for food for the first time in years.

I'm literally ready to dismantle and move the tank this afternoon because I thought it was running for nothing. lift up one piece of rock and behold it's alive............

If it's not getting any thinner, it's definitely eating something.

By the way, that looks like a Clarkii clownfish. Some varieties have dark, nearly black body with yellow fins and a yellow mouth.

Yep Clarkii for sure, guess I couldn't figure it out because the pics I was looking at were mostly juveniles which are lighter in color.

Ya, I figure we will not find an answer at least until I get the full parameters. Fish looks very healthy no obvious signs of illness as far as I am aware. As far as the schedule, lights on around 9 am feeding late afternoon 3-6pm I'd say. Normally the fish hides ALL of the time besides when I feed it. For example, it normally stays deep within the live rock. Throw in some flakes and it would come out instantly.

Did not really think of it as strange at the time; at least for a few days until I realized it wasn't coming. So I sat down on the sofa and started watching all the food get sucked in the filter for a week.

Somehow I came to the conclusion that he finally croaked. So I stopped feeding.

Okay, now you probably realise I'm the idiot that did not check to actually see with my eyes if the fish was alive or dead. But the fish and I had the feeding time down so solid it was in my mind that my friend must be dead after not coming for food for the first time in years.

I'm literally ready to dismantle and move the tank this afternoon because I thought it was running for nothing. lift up one piece of rock and behold it's alive............

Yep Clarkii for sure, guess I couldn't figure it out because the pics I was looking at were mostly juveniles which are lighter in color.

thats fairly unusual behavior for a clarkii, least in my experience, full parameters would be great, but you said youve had the fish as long as the tank, so it might be close to its lifespan

thats fairly unusual behavior for a clarkii, least in my experience, full parameters would be great, but you said youve had the fish as long as the tank, so it might be close to its lifespan

Clownfish can live for 10-30 years probably longer....some of the crap I see on the internet is just bulshit or skewed by people killing them prematurely. I was told my female was at the LFS for 3 years, she's been in my tank for a bit over 10 years. So at the minimum shes 13 years old. Clarki's can get huge that by no means is a Clarki at the end of lifespan.

I also want to see a FTS.

Clownfish can live for 10-30 years probably longer....some of the crap I see on the internet is just bulshit or skewed by people killing them prematurely. I was told my female was at the LFS for 3 years, she's been in my tank for a bit over 10 years. So at the minimum shes 13 years old. Clarki's can get huge that by no means is a Clarki at the end of lifespan.

I also want to see a FTS.

ive seen every reference from 5-50 years, from pretty reputable sites and people. i will also say that just because a animal can live a long time, doesnt mean they will. we will have to see what the parameters say, if everything is inline, then it could be an internal issue. if its not getting skinny and healthy in all ways then its eating something, possibly the pods and such living in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived