Coral Vue Hydros

My Walt Smith 2.1 flaking still

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/379314-walt-smith-21-flaking-paint/#entry5461327

Very disappointed in this purchase. It's a big mess. I contacted support and they acted surprised and had not heard this before.

BRS is my favorite vendor and I talk them up on these boards so much you'd think I work there....but I think thats very strange. There is NO WAY this can be isolated.

Very curious what happens if you took a baster to the 52-week tank for one of the 52 FAQ videos.

NewbReefer316

Same issues with mine. Sacrificed bacteria surface area for a good looking rock after watching them use it in the BRS 160 and now it looks bad and I've had to get my bacteria surface area back with marinepure. Next time I'll just go with regular dry rock, save myself the hassle and money.

burtbollinger

Rock from reefcleaners ftw. Ugly white to start. 4-6 months later mine is completely purple and pink.

Man, I was thinking about this today. Hard to stomach starting over but yeah, Walt Smith 2.1 in my limited experience is trash.

I bought mine October 20th 2015 from BRS and it never flaked or crumbled. Still in my tank and not 1 problem. Sounds like a bad batch!

I keep thinking about your good experiences with it...that must be whats going on. I mean, you do baste your rocks, etc? I'm just lightly puffing and dozens of purple flakes fly everywhere. and its new areas each time.

blowing my sand lightly tonight, old purple paint went into the water column in into my MP10. I put a fishnet in front of the MP10 and in about 10 minutes collected @ 1/4 teaspoon of pure purple flake from the sandbed into the net.

Man, I was thinking about this today. Hard to stomach starting over but yeah, Walt Smith 2.1 in my limited experience is trash.

I keep thinking about your good experiences with it...that must be whats going on. I mean, you do baste your rocks, etc? I'm just lightly puffing and dozens of purple flakes fly everywhere. and its new areas each time.

When I refill my tank after a waterchange I blast all my rocks with the new water I pump in. I have never seen 1 flake.
burtbollinger

I just took quick video...I had basted earlier and a bunch of flakes came off.

I just did it again and a few new ones came off. This is a very minor example....Just enough that If you look close (camera not ideal), you should be able to see a very mild version of what is sometimes a ton of tiny purple flakes.

the real bi__ch of it all is that the gravel vacuum has a hard time lifting the flakes up and out of the sandbed after they settle. I have to blast them into the water column, let the MP10s suck them in and keep a dip-net in front of the MP10 to manually collect.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2017 at 10:55 PM, burtbollinger said:

I just took quick video...I had basted earlier and a bunch of flakes came off.

I just did it again and a few new ones came off. This is a very minor example....Just enough that If you look close (camera not ideal), you should be able to see a very mild version of what is sometimes a ton of tiny purple flakes.

the real bi__ch of it all is that the gravel vacuum has a hard time lifting the flakes up and out of the sandbed after they settle. I have to blast them into the water column, let the MP10s suck them in and keep a dip-net in front of the MP10 to manually collect.

Thanks for taking the time to upload a video about the flaking rock! As the caretaker of the BRS160, I can tell you with certainty that this has not been our experience. 

We definitely want to take care of this issue, right away! Can you please PM me your order number or email address so I can bring this up with our Customer Service Manager? 

Thanks! :-)

Archived