inTank Media Baskets

NanoBox Red Sea 170 : New Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

A Little Blue
On 10/31/2018 at 11:01 AM, DaveFason said:

Thanks! Has a ways to go. 

Agreed. They are a bit pricey and feel if they could hit a $200-250 point it really sell well. 

100% better. I would compare it to the MP40. 

Haha! Those were with a fish eye. They are a pain, oh I know. 

-D

Totally agree on all points. I would also add that magnet could use some improvement and that single button controller is kinda useless. 

I'm curious as to what your calcium and alkalinity are at now, and how frequently you're doing water changes. I have a similar sized system (Mr. Aqua 22 with a sump) and what I'd put at probably the same amount of SPS, but that's just a gander. I started using ESV back in August and realized I was going through about 3-4dKH a week. 

I also had a 4 day power outage in DC last year, all my slimers died, but the Walt Disney for some reason made it, lol. 

Tank is looking really nice, I think your next big problem is things growing into each other!

nbrtank (1 of 4)nbrtank (2 of 4)nbrtank (3 of 4)nbrtank (4 of 4)nbrtanknov (1 of 11)

nbrtanknov (3 of 11)

nbrtanknov (4 of 11)

nbrtanknov (5 of 11)

nbrtanknov (6 of 11)

nbrtanknov (7 of 11)

nbrtanknov (8 of 11)

nbrtanknov (9 of 11)

nbrtanknov (10 of 11)

nbrtanknov (2 of 11)

nbrtanknov (11 of 11)

On 11/1/2018 at 11:19 AM, A Little Blue said:

Totally agree on all points. I would also add that magnet could use some improvement and that single button controller is kinda useless. 

Funny, I like the button control when my phone is somewhere else. 

On 11/1/2018 at 2:03 PM, YHSublime said:

I'm curious as to what your calcium and alkalinity are at now, and how frequently you're doing water changes. I have a similar sized system (Mr. Aqua 22 with a sump) and what I'd put at probably the same amount of SPS, but that's just a gander. I started using ESV back in August and realized I was going through about 3-4dKH a week. 

I also had a 4 day power outage in DC last year, all my slimers died, but the Walt Disney for some reason made it, lol. 

Tank is looking really nice, I think your next big problem is things growing into each other!

I will find out in the coming weeks. The new problem is corals killing each other. The mushrooms are lethal! 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 11/5/2018 at 6:48 PM, YHSublime said:

Good to know, I have a few of those mushrooms in the back, never knew they packed a punch.

Just be careful. I had no growth for a year and then they split ~ 3-4 times. 

Word to the wise. Clean your pumps! This has been on my to-do list for months and finally took the time last night to break apart the skimmer, return pump and others. The difference is night and day. 

#keepitclean

-Dave

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Tank looks great Dave! Are you still using these settings?

Midday :

70% - Royal Blue

5% - White

70% - Violet 

70% - Blue/Cyan

25% - Mint

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Tank looks great Dave! Are you still using these settings?

Midday :

70% - Royal Blue

5% - White

70% - Violet 

70% - Blue/Cyan

25% - Mint

As of now. 

80% for all but mint and white. No white and 30% mint now. 

I keep my hands out of the tank, took my skimmer offline and only do water changes. I may slowly get rid of 90% of the sand. 

-Dave

• Like 3
skyscraper2290

Tank is looking amazing Dave! Your maintenance sounds very similar to mine. Never even set my skimmer up and just use filter floss and then rely on WC’s. Granted I’m at the point I’m gonna have to start dosing to keep up with consumption. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

As of now. 

I keep my hands out of the tank, took my skimmer offline and only do water changes. I may slowly get rid of 90% of the sand. 

-Dave

Thanks, that is exactly how I had mine on the duo 80 blue/0 white/30 mint. Until I added clams and wanted more PAR but since I decided to pull them I am going to go back to those settings.  

• 3 weeks later...

Tank has been on cruise control and things are looking great. I have changed my feeding and light scheduling for the past few months with great success. Bubble algae is really starting to recede and aptasia is starting to get under control. 

Growth has been amazing in most corals. Current corals that are taking off. 

• Setosa and @micoastreefing Monti's
  • Purple tip acro 
  • Mummy eye and pink chalice  
  • Palys
  • Frogspawn 

Growth not so hot :

• Favias - I think they are to close to each other
  • Rainbow chalice - Who knows 

Feeding :

• Brightwell ReefBlizzard - Large and small - 1 scoop - Daily
  • Brightwell MicroBacteria7 - 7 drops - Daily
  • PE Mysis Dry Food -  3x a day 

Water Changes :

• Friday morning - 5-10g depending on the look of the tank. 

Lighting Schedule :

• 80% - Royal blue, cyan/blue and violet 
  • 30% - Mint ( Right side only ) - I took the mint offline on the left side to create a more blue look. The montis have never looked better. 

Photos :

NBRreeferJan

NBRreeferJan-13NBRreeferJan-12NBRreeferJan-11NBRreeferJan-10NBRreeferJan-9NBRreeferJan-8NBRreeferJan-7NBRreeferJan-6NBRreeferJan-5NBRreeferJan-4NBRreeferJan-3NBRreeferJan-2

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
17 hours ago, schwaz said:

ridic

What do you think is contributing to the bubble algae receding?

I have been diligent on removing it and besides that no idea. I plan on dosing the system with Fluco in a few weeks for safe measure. 

-Dave

17 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Dave, the tank continues to look amazing.

What happened to your scoly?  I notice it's been missing since last october photoshoot? 

Thank you and good question. It is hidden in the back recovering from a gnarly sting from a chalice. In the darker photo above, the top down. You can see it just peaking out under the Setosa. 

After you mentioning it I think I will bring it to the front during tomorrows water change. Hands down my favorite coral in the tank. 

-D

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
blizzardscout2
On 8/22/2017 at 5:23 AM, DaveFason said:

Thank you. I have really been trying to make this a show tank after seeing the likes of WWC and a few other shops. Also it creates some great marketing material! 

I use this setup for macro. 

75 1.8 - This is NOT a macro lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyu2hrunq1QIVCQ5pCh3rHwKCEAQYASABEgLIdvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=827623

I use these extension tubes - However I only use manual focus on macro

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048759-REG/vello_ext_sfed_deluxe_extension_tube_for.html

Close Up Kit 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1321853-REG/hoya_a_58cus_ii_58mm_hmc_close_up_filter.html?sts=pi

Thank you. You have to find a sweet spot for each camera. Some tubes and close up adaptors work great while others do not. 

To be honest I prefer my crop sensor ( APC-C A6300 ) for macro. You will have more of the subject in focus than full frame. Allowing a much easier experience when shooting. Most people over look this and just believe a full frame is better in all ways. 

I use my A6300 over everything right now. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 paired with this camera is NUTS. I will turn off all the pumps and do a quick shoot with this lens in non-macro photography. 

-D

I know this is old but I have been using the A6500 with the Sigma 56mm, wow is that a great combo. I know the 30 gets high reviews. I will get those tubes for macro and give them a try. 

On another note, how come you changed from a quad to a duo? I’m actually looking to possibly place an order for my 170 as I liked your color rendition better than the Radion G4. 

13 hours ago, blizzardscout2 said:

I know this is old but I have been using the A6500 with the Sigma 56mm, wow is that a great combo. I know the 30 gets high reviews. I will get those tubes for macro and give them a try. 

On another note, how come you changed from a quad to a duo? I’m actually looking to possibly place an order for my 170 as I liked your color rendition better than the Radion G4. 

I have heard the 56 is a great lens. Honestly there is no wrong kit these days with the tech. Skip the 30 if you have 56 and go with the 16. 

I changed because it was too much light. I just got over a killer cold last week and did a water change this morning. I will update the thread with a few photos. Things are taking off! 

If you have any other questions just email me. Thanks!

-D

• Like 2
On 1/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, DaveFason said:

As of now. 

-Dave

Thats what I'm pretty much running, all channels were at 75% except mint so im doing 1% i increase weeklyish. Mints at 25% no white. Solid coloring.

• Like 1
blizzardscout2

I noticed you were considering kalk. I run the Avast kalkstirrer and dose ro water into it with a doser. This is the single best thing I have ever done for my reef for keeping a very stable alk and Calcium. Plus my pH used to swing between 7.8-8 but now sits at 8.2-8.4. I have a Nyos skimmer too and it fits next to it. Just something to think about.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:22 AM, blizzardscout2 said:

I noticed you were considering kalk. I run the Avast kalkstirrer and dose ro water into it with a doser. This is the single best thing I have ever done for my reef for keeping a very stable alk and Calcium. Plus my pH used to swing between 7.8-8 but now sits at 8.2-8.4. I have a Nyos skimmer too and it fits next to it. Just something to think about.

Funny. That is the exact setup I was going with. I hope to get everything in order in the next 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...