DaveFason

NanoBox Red Sea 170 : New Start

Beautiful tank Dave! Thanks for showing the Nanobox noobs how our tanks can look 😍

• Like 1

Pictures, as promised. We have had numerous power outages and this weekend took a toll on the Walt Disney. I small branch started to STN but the tank is back on track. 

NBRReeferNBRReefer-9NBRReefer-10NBRReefer-8NBRReefer-7NBRReefer-6NBRReefer-5NBRReefer-4NBRReefer-3NBRReefer-2

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 1

As always awesome tank Dave! What is the acro under the WD (3rd picture)?

31 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

As always awesome tank Dave! What is the acro under the WD (3rd picture)?

I think a purple tip nana of some sort. That coral has a really cool history. It was my FIRST acro from ~ 9 years ago. It was passed around to friends to keep and then back to me three years ago. It has finally done well under this tank. 

The tank is chugging along. I have been experimenting with a on/off Duo for the past two months. I want to see the difference between running one spectrum versus a blue-14k-blue. Everything has responded well until I went out of town and forgot to set the timer. The tank was without light for eight days but the only victim is a bleached out Walt Disney. 

Pictures from last night. 

NanoBox Reefer Corals

These zoas have taken over. They are killing the meteor shower!

NanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer Corals

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

the only victim is a bleached out Walt Disney. 

it looks like a goner to me....not just losing color.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also very good at spotting bone-white corals - plenty of experience here. 

The monti in the middle is showing very interesting cupping growth, never seen that in my tank.  

looks like you need some peppermint shrimps and emerald crabs....the aiptasia and bubble algae are out of control...

2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

it looks like a goner to me....not just losing color.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also very good at spotting bone-white corals - plenty of experience here. 

The monti in the middle is showing very interesting cupping growth, never seen that in my tank.  

looks like you need some peppermint shrimps and emerald crabs....the aiptasia and bubble algae are out of control...

It is still there. It has polyps but some of it did die. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

The monti in the middle receives a TON of flow. I am curious if that is the difference maker between the two. 

I do need peppermint shrimp. I have water being made today in hopes to suck up a ton of bubble algae. It has been a pain but besides that I have really enjoyed the tank. 

• Like 1

Even with the bubble algae your tank looks amazing!

you don’t use any kind of control for the on/off  light?

8 hours ago, Reeferadicto13 said:

Even with the bubble algae your tank looks amazing!

you don’t use any kind of control for the on/off  light?

For the past two-ish months, no. I use the light in an on/off function using the SPS+ midday setting. 

Awesome tank!

You mentioned earlier about starting to dose two part... are you just relying on water changes to maintain right now, or are you dosing something?

Also, it looks like so many with the Reefer170 are not using the ATO (or converting to fuge)... are you just doing manual?

Thanks!

On 10/3/2018 at 11:49 AM, cpetkus said:

Awesome tank!

You mentioned earlier about starting to dose two part... are you just relying on water changes to maintain right now, or are you dosing something?

Also, it looks like so many with the Reefer170 are not using the ATO (or converting to fuge)... are you just doing manual?

Thanks!

No dosing yet but I really need too. I use an external tank for the ATO. This is done with the MICRO ATO. 

• Like 1

How's the WD doing? Hope it's recovering! Everything else looks fantastic!

It's funny how useful it is to have a full-up controllable light is just from the perspective of avoiding common failures with cheap timers. I ran into problems with the timer on my cookie jar tank which ultimately lead to me shutting it down. 

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions