Innovative Marine Aquariums

NanoBox Red Sea 170 : New Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

Pictures, as promised. We have had numerous power outages and this weekend took a toll on the Walt Disney. I small branch started to STN but the tank is back on track. 

NBRReeferNBRReefer-9NBRReefer-10NBRReefer-8NBRReefer-7NBRReefer-6NBRReefer-5NBRReefer-4NBRReefer-3NBRReefer-2

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

As always awesome tank Dave! What is the acro under the WD (3rd picture)?

I think a purple tip nana of some sort. That coral has a really cool history. It was my FIRST acro from ~ 9 years ago. It was passed around to friends to keep and then back to me three years ago. It has finally done well under this tank. 

• 2 months later...

The tank is chugging along. I have been experimenting with a on/off Duo for the past two months. I want to see the difference between running one spectrum versus a blue-14k-blue. Everything has responded well until I went out of town and forgot to set the timer. The tank was without light for eight days but the only victim is a bleached out Walt Disney. 

Pictures from last night. 

NanoBox Reefer Corals

These zoas have taken over. They are killing the meteor shower!

NanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer CoralsNanoBox Reefer Corals

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

the only victim is a bleached out Walt Disney. 

it looks like a goner to me....not just losing color.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also very good at spotting bone-white corals - plenty of experience here. 

The monti in the middle is showing very interesting cupping growth, never seen that in my tank.  

looks like you need some peppermint shrimps and emerald crabs....the aiptasia and bubble algae are out of control...

2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

it looks like a goner to me....not just losing color.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also very good at spotting bone-white corals - plenty of experience here. 

The monti in the middle is showing very interesting cupping growth, never seen that in my tank.  

looks like you need some peppermint shrimps and emerald crabs....the aiptasia and bubble algae are out of control...

It is still there. It has polyps but some of it did die. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

The monti in the middle receives a TON of flow. I am curious if that is the difference maker between the two. 

I do need peppermint shrimp. I have water being made today in hopes to suck up a ton of bubble algae. It has been a pain but besides that I have really enjoyed the tank. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Reeferadicto13 said:

Even with the bubble algae your tank looks amazing!

you don’t use any kind of control for the on/off  light?

For the past two-ish months, no. I use the light in an on/off function using the SPS+ midday setting. 

Awesome tank!

You mentioned earlier about starting to dose two part... are you just relying on water changes to maintain right now, or are you dosing something?

Also, it looks like so many with the Reefer170 are not using the ATO (or converting to fuge)... are you just doing manual?

Thanks!

On 10/3/2018 at 11:49 AM, cpetkus said:

Awesome tank!

You mentioned earlier about starting to dose two part... are you just relying on water changes to maintain right now, or are you dosing something?

Also, it looks like so many with the Reefer170 are not using the ATO (or converting to fuge)... are you just doing manual?

Thanks!

No dosing yet but I really need too. I use an external tank for the ATO. This is done with the MICRO ATO. 

• Like 1

How's the WD doing? Hope it's recovering! Everything else looks fantastic!

It's funny how useful it is to have a full-up controllable light is just from the perspective of avoiding common failures with cheap timers. I ran into problems with the timer on my cookie jar tank which ultimately lead to me shutting it down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hurricane Michael did a number on us in Greensboro. With most of the city without power for multiple days, we had five days without power. Running back and forth between the two tanks was a full time job but everyone lived! 

The tank is now running NERO5 pumps. I am really impressed. 

Photos this weekend! 

-Dave

• Like 3

I may have spoke to soon but the tank went through a massive ugly stage with a brown film gala after the outage. However it is nearly cleared up, water change today and pictures! 

On 10/19/2018 at 6:25 PM, William said:

How do they compare to Vortechs 

Personally I like these more. The app is seamless with these pumps, the flow is nice a gentle light the MP series and silent operation. 

After a good scrubbing and water change the tank is back on track after running on limited on a generator for five days. 

The good :

• Nero5 Pumps - Absolutely love these. The control and BLE connection is ground breaking. It is so simple, fast and seamless. Quite operation and gentle wide flow. 
  • Using @inTank filter pads in baffles has been extremely beneficial. The water clarity has been the best in years. 
  • On/Off Duo - Running only 36w and the colors and growth has been perfect. It took me a bit to get used to not having the same amount of light but enjoying the simplicity. 
  • Bubble algae is starting to dissipate and becoming easier to manage.

The bad :

• Aptasia is still growing. I will be ordering peppermint shrimp to take care of that from Reefcleaners. 
  • Sections of glass are nearly impossible to scrape. Not a huge issue but hate seeing coralline and gunk on those sections. 

PAR : People ask about this all the time. I find not to chase numbers but give the corals consistent feedings, parameters and light. 

NanoBox Office Tank PAR

Overall I can't complain. I love this tank and the progression over the past year. 

nbroct (3 of 5)

nbroct (4 of 5)nbroct (5 of 5)

-Dave

• Like 2
A Little Blue
18 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Nero5 Pumps - Absolutely love these. The control and BLE connection is ground breaking. It is so simple, fast and seamless. Quite operation and gentle wide flow. 

Couldn’t agree more. Absolutely love this thing. Had MaxGyre, VortechMPs and still have several KPS pumps. This one is the one to beat. 

• Like 1

Those cell phone pics :tongueout: tank is looking good! and as for aptasia :lol: good luck.......been chasing them suckers for a year........peppermints didnt work........wrasse snack :lol: I ended up using the X on the bigger ones and got a file fish.......ugly as hell but keeps them to a minimum.

Good luck with the war..........

23 hours ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Looking amazing Dave! 

Thanks! Has a ways to go. 

23 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Couldn’t agree more. Absolutely love this thing. Had MaxGyre, VortechMPs and still have several KPS pumps. This one is the one to beat. 

Agreed. They are a bit pricey and feel if they could hit a $200-250 point it really sell well. 

19 hours ago, William said:

Also, how do you feel the flow of the NERO compares to an MP10

100% better. I would compare it to the MP40. 

14 hours ago, spectra said:

Those cell phone pics :tongueout: tank is looking good! and as for aptasia :lol: good luck.......been chasing them suckers for a year........peppermints didnt work........wrasse snack :lol: I ended up using the X on the bigger ones and got a file fish.......ugly as hell but keeps them to a minimum.

Good luck with the war..........

Haha! Those were with a fish eye. They are a pain, oh I know. 

-D

• Like 1

I'll get a new top down this weekend. You can see the growth across the board. Aug 17 - October 18.

PARNanoBoxRedSeaNanoBoxDec-12NBR42518-12nbroct (5 of 5)

What has done really well? 

Montis - Grow like weeds. Amazing color. 

Zoas/ Palys - The tank is high nutrient and I think that is the reason they do so well. 

Favias - Left corner. They grew very fast then halted. I think this is due to them being so close to each other. There are four within ~3".

Chalices - Amazing grow and color. Easy. 

Mushrooms in the center - I love and hate these. They pack a killer sting but are gorgeous. Starting with one and now have four. 

Acros - Very top is a purple tip acro. Growing very well but color is so-so. I contribute this to not staying on top of parameters and high nutrients. I lost the Walt Disney ( besides one polyp due to power outage and light being off for eight days ). 

Frogspawn - Grows like a weed and has been fragged a handful of times. 

Duncan - I had to move to the back as it was to large! 

This being a true mixed reef has done extremely well for my lack of really trying. I let the corals tell me what they need rather than doing what I think. I will be adding a dosing schedule for 2-part finally as I simply need it. This tank likes less light. The growth has been much better once I switched away from the Quad. 

Future plans ?

• Dosers.
  • Green slimer for a branching/tall acro.
  • Large frag discs to mount corals that are having trouble growing on sand. 
  • Add dwarf moray eel? 
  • Start adding KALK on a dosing schedule for a higher PH. 

Video this weekend! 

-Dave

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

I'll get a new top down this weekend. You can see the growth across the board. Aug 17 - October 18.

PARNanoBoxRedSeaNanoBoxDec-12NBR42518-12nbroct (5 of 5)

What has done really well? 

Montis - Grow like weeds. Amazing color. 

Zoas/ Palys - The tank is high nutrient and I think that is the reason they do so well. 

Favias - Left corner. They grew very fast then halted. I think this is due to them being so close to each other. There are four within ~3".

Chalices - Amazing grow and color. Easy. 

Mushrooms in the center - I love and hate these. They pack a killer sting but are gorgeous. Starting with one and now have four. 

Acros - Very top is a purple tip acro. Growing very well but color is so-so. I contribute this to not staying on top of parameters and high nutrients. I lost the Walt Disney ( besides one polyp due to power outage and light being off for eight days ). 

Frogspawn - Grows like a weed and has been fragged a handful of times. 

Duncan - I had to move to the back as it was to large! 

This being a true mixed reef has done extremely well for my lack of really trying. I let the corals tell me what they need rather than doing what I think. I will be adding a dosing schedule for 2-part finally as I simply need it. This tank likes less light. The growth has been much better once I switched away from the Quad. 

Future plans ?

• Dosers.
  • Green slimer for a branching/tall acro.
  • Large frag discs to mount corals that are having trouble growing on sand. 
  • Add dwarf moray eel? 
  • Start adding KALK on a dosing schedule for a higher PH. 

Video this weekend! 

-Dave

Add the Eel, you will love it ! 

• Like 1