inTank Media Baskets

NanoBox Red Sea 170 : New Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

5 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Thanks! I will be honest the MP10 is just a bit loud for me. The MP40 is silent. As well the KPS is nearly as small and runs only 4-10w. The built in APP is a cool feature as well! 

The video is shot on the same gel I use for taking photos. I just tape it on the front and let it be. Once you find the filter that works 99% time is makes shooting LEDs simple. The only issue is finding the gel that works best for what you use. 

-Dave

Thanks! I recently got a full pack of gel filters so I just need to take the time to find which one is the magic one.

I've got five MP-10's between my three tanks, and some are noisier than others. It's only noticeable at about 80% or higher though. Is the KPS quieter when it's running full blast?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I recently got a full pack of gel filters so I just need to take the time to find which one is the magic one.

I've got five MP-10's between my three tanks, and some are noisier than others. It's only noticeable at about 80% or higher though. Is the KPS quieter when it's running full blast?

From what I have heard MUCH more quite. Some MP10's for me just do not hold well either. Seems the smaller size with a smaller magnet makes it hard to stay in place. Mine works best on 100%, go figure...

Pull all the orange filters out. With your normal day setting put each in front of the camera lens and you will find the one. Once you have that it makes like easy! 

-Dave

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

From what I have heard MUCH more quite. Some MP10's for me just do not hold well either. Seems the smaller size with a smaller magnet makes it hard to stay in place. Mine works best on 100%, go figure...

Pull all the orange filters out. With your normal day setting put each in front of the camera lens and you will find the one. Once you have that it makes like easy! 

-Dave

I just got a used KPS pump from @Rehype. So if the quietness is what you're after, I think you'll be in for a treat.  I've run RW-4 up until very recently.  When compared to RW-4, KPS is dead silent. 

Great photos as always. 

• Like 3

Glad to see a reboot on this one Dave, your photos are fantastic as always. I had some extension tubes show up a few weeks and I've been messing around with them with my M4/3 Panasonic. So far I've been really impressed with the performance over the macro filters I was using previously. Kinda wish I jumped ship to Sony when I purchased an upgraded body 18 months or so ago, I'd really enjoy a full sized sensor for macro photography, you can fit so much more in the frame.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, blizzardscout2 said:

Your photos.... wow. ? Excellent work Dave. I need to try some gel filters. What lens do you use on the extension tube?

Thank you. I have really been trying to make this a show tank after seeing the likes of WWC and a few other shops. Also it creates some great marketing material! 

I use this setup for macro. 

75 1.8 - This is NOT a macro lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyu2hrunq1QIVCQ5pCh3rHwKCEAQYASABEgLIdvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=827623

I use these extension tubes - However I only use manual focus on macro

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048759-REG/vello_ext_sfed_deluxe_extension_tube_for.html

Close Up Kit 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1321853-REG/hoya_a_58cus_ii_58mm_hmc_close_up_filter.html?sts=pi

5 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Glad to see a reboot on this one Dave, your photos are fantastic as always. I had some extension tubes show up a few weeks and I've been messing around with them with my M4/3 Panasonic. So far I've been really impressed with the performance over the macro filters I was using previously. Kinda wish I jumped ship to Sony when I purchased an upgraded body 18 months or so ago, I'd really enjoy a full sized sensor for macro photography, you can fit so much more in the frame.

Thank you. You have to find a sweet spot for each camera. Some tubes and close up adaptors work great while others do not. 

To be honest I prefer my crop sensor ( APC-C A6300 ) for macro. You will have more of the subject in focus than full frame. Allowing a much easier experience when shooting. Most people over look this and just believe a full frame is better in all ways. 

I use my A6300 over everything right now. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 paired with this camera is NUTS. I will turn off all the pumps and do a quick shoot with this lens in non-macro photography. 

-D

• Like 1

This has been overdue but here are PAR numbers. A few things to note. 

• I do not change my settings - If anything only change overall time duration 
  • Glass reflection increases PAR ( Keep your glass clean! :) )

White - Middle of tank - Directly under the light

Green - Slightly off center

Red - Sand level - ~ 1-2" off glass

Yellow - Next to overflow box - Back center

I try to keep PAR levels where corals are no higher than 350. 

PARNanoBoxRedSea

Enjoy! 

-Dave

***This is an older FTS***

• Like 2

It is almost the weekend. Why not more photos. :D

I used my 16-70 zoom with pretty good results. I need to tweak the lens/camera to really nail the overall look of the tank. 

RedSeaAug-9RedSeaAug-5RedSeaAug-8RedSeaAug-3RedSeaAug-7RedSeaAug-2RedSeaAug-6

• Like 4
On 8/25/2017 at 2:13 PM, Justind823 said:

Tank is looking incredible! Did you get the mounts for your light sorted?

Not yet. :P

I will be heading out of town Friday - Monday to see family in FL and wanted to snap a few more photos. I will let the photos do the talking.

redsea82817redsea82817-7redsea82817-5redsea82817-6redsea82817-4redsea82817-3redsea82817-2

100% NOT edited video from my iPhone7+ 

• Like 2

Hey Dave, not sure if you have posted these up before but do you mind sharing your BlueFish settings? The last 2 photo sets look amazing, I love the look of the FTS's from the 26th.

• Like 1
On 9/1/2017 at 2:25 AM, RollaJase said:

Hey Dave, not sure if you have posted these up before but do you mind sharing your BlueFish settings? The last 2 photo sets look amazing, I love the look of the FTS's from the 26th.

When I get back in town tomorrow I sure will. :D

• Like 1
On 9/3/2017 at 7:37 PM, RollaJase said:

Thank you!

Light Settings : 

Morning - 60% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         0% - Mint          0% - White ( 60 Minute Ramp, 120 Length )

Midday  - 80% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         30% - Mint        0% - White ( 60 Minute Ramp )

Evening  - 80% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         0% - Mint          0% - White ( 60 Minute Ramp, 120 Length )

Night  - 0% all channels

Overall Length - Nine Hours

I got back in town yesterday and just started a bit of maintenance on the tank. Why not shoot a couple stills and short video! 

NBR090517-3

NBR090517-6

NBR090517NBR090517-5NBR090517-4NBR090517-2

• Like 3
5 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Light Settings : 

Morning - 60% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         0% - Mint          0% - White ( 60 Minute Ramp, 120 Length )

Midday  - 80% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         30% - Mint        0% - White ( 60 Minute Ramp )

Evening  - 80% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         0% - Mint          0% - White ( 60 Minute Ramp, 120 Length )

Night  - 0% all channels

Thanks Dave, I'll give these settings a shot. My tank is quite white at the moment and I'm looking to mix things up a bit.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Thanks Dave, I'll give these settings a shot. My tank is quite white at the moment and I'm looking to mix things up a bit.

Great. One thing I think has helped this tank excel is just leaving the setting alone. No adjustments and consistent! 

• Like 1
On 9/5/2017 at 11:23 AM, DaveFason said:

Light Settings : 

Night  - 0% all channels

Dave, sorry dumb question, but does this mean you run this tank with no Whites?

15 minutes ago, reefrox said:

Dave, sorry dumb question, but does this mean you run this tank with no Whites?

Yep! I use a new Mint color that has been in all units for some time. I run these separate and run them very very low. 

Over a year and corals all look solid as you can see. 

11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Great. One thing I think has helped this tank excel is just leaving the setting alone. No adjustments and consistent! 

Seeing as my V3 arrays have no mint I substituted with 15% white/lime morning and evening and 25% white/lime at midday. My ramp settings and duration were already identical to yours. Very pleased with the new look. It still has a nice blue hue but isn't being washed out by the whites.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20170907-133029.thumb.png.d14ba4d28080b39fc75d59724bc4f694.png

On 9/6/2017 at 0:51 PM, DaveFason said:

Yep! I use a new Mint color that has been in all units for some time. I run these separate and run them very very low. 

Over a year and corals all look solid as you can see. 

Ah I see. So since I don't have mint (see attached photo), and with my light being 8 inches above the water line, would 20 percent white be okay. I've attached a pic of my mid day setting. Mixed reef but mostly soft and lps corals. And also wondering if 8 inches is the right height to be above the water line.