inTank Media Baskets

Daves/NanoBox Red Sea 170 : NEW Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

I got back in town yesterday and just started a bit of maintenance on the tank. Why not shoot a couple stills and short video! 

NBR090517-3

NBR090517-6

NBR090517NBR090517-5NBR090517-4NBR090517-2

As well Florida treated me well. Tarpon fishing on the fly and family! 

36198033614_b0a4c190ec_b.jpgopenwidetarponfloridatarpon-23floridatarpon-22floridatarpon-21floridatarpon-436636621750_e5776b21c2_b.jpg

• Like 4

It has been a busy week and I hope everyone that is effected by Irma is recovering safely. I had a few minutes to snap a couple macros yesterday. 

Updates on the tank. After using Aquaforest salt I started to get a really gnarly bacteria bloom reoccurring. I can get this under control normally but has zero success lately. I have switched over to Fritz salt and so far so good. 

Walt Disney Side : Starting to grow on side of plug. 

37025465852_bc87f4a18e_c.jpgredsea91217-6 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Pink Chalice :

37025465572_50fda750e1_c.jpgredsea91217 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

One of my favorite zoas :

37025466762_6b9d27dd00_c.jpgredsea91217-4 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Who needs epoxy when the corals grow to the next rock?

37025466292_e092d71b25_c.jpgredsea91217-5 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Orange Acans : The underside of these have a purple ring. :D

37025467122_f11e967a77_c.jpgredsea91217-3 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Rainbow chalice looking nuts :

37025467512_82e123bbc3_c.jpgredsea91217-2 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Sunset from the dock :

36939607632_3216e24295_c.jpgsunrisehiggins1 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Catfish on the fly? ;)

36939611272_6b5728325a_c.jpghigginscatfish by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 3

Couple quickie photos...

Started as a brown turd. Now encrusting and coloring up. 

redsea91517

Favia : Growing to high rock

redsea91517-4

Favia Island :

redsea91517-6

Chalices :

redsea91517-5

Setosa FIRE :

redsea91517-3

WD : Slowly growing :D

redsea91517-2

-Dave

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

A few photo from today. Actinic's in full action here. You wont be able to miss the new scolli. It is the brightest orange coral I have ever seen! 

Raw Video from iPhone :

FTS :

37380566921_05b2a7b09e_b.jpg

Top Down :

23528770948_467417f546_b.jpg

Setosa Growth :

37350733182_71ccc013af_b.jpg

Favia :

37333106186_2177c4cce4_b.jpg

New guy makes my orange acans looks dull...

37380568651_b5dd326545_b.jpg36671699884_6b08bb49dd_b.jpg

Walt Disney Growth :

37333103186_8d18255930_b.jpg

Chalices :

23528768878_27c30fc7dd_b.jpg

Side favia views :

37380567101_92a0bae7eb_b.jpg23528770818_8b51a0bdcd_b.jpg

Life :

12K Up in CO 

37339366831_d82e692011_b.jpgdavemountaincotrip-15cotrip-13

New tank?!?!!

Newproduct-16

Enjoy! 

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
6 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

New guy (is it a scoly?) and Walt Disney both look amazing. You have my shipping address! :lol:

Ha! The new addition is insane. It has hints of yellow too. I hope to keep that guy for years. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was not happy with the pictures I took so I took a quick video on the phone. 

I have been on the go for weeks and the tank had a massive outbreak of bubble algae. Time to get down and dirty! The corals are growing and still looking incredible. 

Walt Disney : The yellow polyps are glowing

walt

Video :

Life lately. 

Calico Bass Fishing :

37599706011_c59df51974_b.jpg

Carp On the Fly : LA River 

lariver-4lariver-2

Marine Depot Booth : RAP LA

stuff-2

Goldens and Sierras :

Calitripoct-2Calitripoct-24Calitripoct-26Calitripoctmore-8

More to come! 

-Dave

• Like 4

Had a couple minutes to snap four macros. 

Orange Scoli : This thing is that nuts. Look at the "yellow" stripes coming in...

nanobox-2

Rainbow Chalice : Growing and looking better and better!

nanobox-3

Micros : These are starting to form black lines. It looks pretty gnarly

nanobox

Walt Disney : Those yellow polyps :D

nanobox-4

More soon! 

-D

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
18 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

Looking great. When those favias start growing together, that is going to be some amazing color combos. 

Thank you! I am curious what will happen. Regardless they look great and only the strong survive! 

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! 

Good : 

• Corals are showing increased coloration weekly and growth has been above average
  • Current light has been running no whites with no slow downs - Proving a no white array can work
  • I currently have nine fish in the tank and they are providing extra nutrients that I think contribute to better coloration/health of corals
  • NYOS Skimmer is preforming above and beyond - 3-4 days with thick nasty skimmate 

Bad :

• I have a bubble algae outbreak - Manually removing weekly and plan on contacting a few people to see what can help
  • Bryopsis - This has been popping up here and there and driving me nuts - I purchased Fluconazole to see if it can create miracles like people state
  • Six Line Jump - Six lines are one of my favorite fish. For the worst mine randomly jumped after a water change
  • Dead spots - The RedSea 170 has two corners that I trouble providing flow - Looking into the new Grye 2K to add 

Future :

• Possibly add a tang OR six line
  • Install AquaMaxx Algae reactor - More on this later
  • Additional pump 

Setosa is now growing fast and steady - The acro next to it has been looking terrible for months and FINALLY regaining it looks on new growth - Favias are spot on

nanoboxreefer103017-4

Chalices growing quickly now. I plan on transferring to larger plugs/plates :

nanoboxreefer103017-5

Walt Disney : Coloring well and getting thicker - This receives the most light and flow

nanoboxreefer103017-2

Acro starting to color up :

nanoboxreefer103017

Top down - You can see the yellow markings coming in the scoli - New growth everywhere :

nanoboxreefer103017-3

Link to Fluconazole :

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

Reactor : Thank you @Marine Depot

Newproduct-15Newproduct-14Newproduct-13Newproduct-12Newproduct-11

Thanks guys! 

-Dave

• Like 2

Hey Dave, looking good. You say you're not running any whites, but are you using the Mint channel at all? What are your current settings when the light is at it's apex for the day? Thanks

43 minutes ago, tmc1313 said:

Hey Dave, looking good. You say you're not running any whites, but are you using the Mint channel at all? What are your current settings when the light is at it's apex for the day? Thanks

80% - Royal - Blue/Cyan - Violet 

30% - Mint 

0% - White

Bubble algae is literally the worst. One of the biggest reasons for taking my last tank down was bubble algae. I tried to get emerald crabs, but they just ate my corals instead. Even with phosphates way down, bubble never goes away. When you pop one while manually removing, that means 50 more will take its place. It's almost impossible to NOT pop them when removing. The best bet is to have a permanent resident that will eat it up. There are plenty of fish / inverts that are said to do so, but it's always a hit or miss (and usually a miss). Maybe you can find someone who has a small tang or invert that is proven to eat it up and borrow it!

Glad to hear your NYOS is working well. Mine has been skimming super wet, and I'm slowly turning it down to get it a bit darker. I've had it for a week now, and it's been wonderful. How open is your air setting?

• Like 1

I wonder if, during water changes or something, you might be able to apply some peroxide to the worst BA spots?  I dunno, I've never had a big tank lol.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, kinetic said:

Bubble algae is literally the worst. One of the biggest reasons for taking my last tank down was bubble algae. I tried to get emerald crabs, but they just ate my corals instead. Even with phosphates way down, bubble never goes away. When you pop one while manually removing, that means 50 more will take its place. It's almost impossible to NOT pop them when removing. The best bet is to have a permanent resident that will eat it up. There are plenty of fish / inverts that are said to do so, but it's always a hit or miss (and usually a miss). Maybe you can find someone who has a small tang or invert that is proven to eat it up and borrow it!

Glad to hear your NYOS is working well. Mine has been skimming super wet, and I'm slowly turning it down to get it a bit darker. I've had it for a week now, and it's been wonderful. How open is your air setting?

Every water change I use a small siphon tube and pop/suck the out. It is working but a PIA. 

The skimmer started the same as yours but then turned in to a gnarly goo. I have the valve almost all the way open. 

14 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I wonder if, during water changes or something, you might be able to apply some peroxide to the worst BA spots?  I dunno, I've never had a big tank lol.

I hate using peroxide that way because I always get some corals. However I may start adding 5-10ml of it a day in the water column. 

-Dave

On 9/30/2017 at 7:49 AM, DaveFason said:

Thanks Chris! I will have a new thread up next week. :)

Dave, can you link me to your thread?  I can't find it.  :-(

1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Every water change I use a small siphon tube and pop/suck the out. It is working but a PIA. 

The skimmer started the same as yours but then turned in to a gnarly goo. I have the valve almost all the way open. 

I hate using peroxide that way because I always get some corals. However I may start adding 5-10ml of it a day in the water column. 

-Dave

Oh interesting! The siphon is strong enough to pull the bubble off? What diameter is the tube? I only ask, because I'm worried one day I'll get it too and if I'm ready for it, maybe I won't be as upset, hah. Maybe getting rid of the bubbles can be a zen-like experience? As long as it works.

• 1 month later...

The tank is chugging along! Corals are colorful, growing and looking better each day. However not everything is perfect. I had a run of Bryopsis but has now been treated with Flunco ( thanks @teenyreef ). I do have aptasia and bubble popping up everywhere which will be dealt with in the coming weeks. 

Video :

Setosa - One of my favorite corals. This is thriving in this tank. 

NanoBoxDec-16

Favia Garden - Every favia is encusting nicely with weekly growth. 

NanoBoxDec-15NanoBoxDec-14

Walt Disney - Is holding color and getting thick. 

NanoBoxDec-10

Sunset Monti - The polyps almost take over the base! 

NanoBoxDec-17

Top Down :

NanoBoxDec-12

Macros :

NanoBoxDec-9

Enjoy! 

NanoBoxDec-2

NanoBoxDec-4

NanoBoxDec-5

NanoBoxDec-11

Fun Photo :

NanoBoxDec-3

-Dave

Life :

coon12317-8coon12317-6Coon111717-25Coon111717-21Coon111717-11FLmicro-5
Untitled
38211446382_0b648afd7e_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

This is why we take photos. Late August to early December. 

RedSeaAug-6NanoBoxDec-12

A few interesting things to look at. 

Miami Hurricane vs. Mummy Eye - The MH grows considerably faster. It is not folding into each other! 

Setosa - The growth is exploding

Zoas - Red ones in the middle decided to melt. The Eagle eyes in the up right corner receive an insane amount of light. They melted on the top but are growing incredibly fast down the other side of the rock 

Favias - Cant stop won't stop! 

Ugly SPS in top back right - This changes colors weekly. The growth has been very good but trying to dial the color in. 

Misson : Clean Up Wiring

UGH.

personal121317-6

$15 wood crate from Target - Three 1" holes drilled on the back. 

personal121317-7

All wiring is now labeled! 

personal121317-8

Much better! I am cutting a piece of wood for a cover. All power supplies, controllers, etc are external from the sump. 

personal121317-9

Baxter :

personal121317-3

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 4