Cultivated Reef

Daves/NanoBox Red Sea 170 : NEW Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

1 hour ago, hinnenkm said:

Beautiful pictures, it's always fun seeing updates on this tank - the colors are absolutely incredible!

Thanks! The colors are really starting to take form with the growth. 

1 hour ago, tmc1313 said:

Pics look great Dave! I'm so jealous, I have always wanted to learn how to fly fish, just haven't found the time. I think it's the "purest" form of fishing, for lack of a better word.  I know it's all about good technique, was it something you picked up pretty easily or was there a lot of practice involved? BTW, royal gramma's are one of my favorite reef fish. I've kept them in pretty much every tank I've ever had. 

Thank you! you will continue to learn each day. Every area will be a little different due to the fish being different. I am a full nerd and practice casting almost daily. Usually after work and hit my back yard or a small pond. 

Royal gramma for the win! 

-Dave

* Carry over to new page *

Macro Monday? Macro photography is my favorite medium for corals. You see colors and shapes that are normally overlooked. Some of the chalice pictures make me imagine that I am on a different planet. All photos were taking on my A6300, extension tube and closeup kit. 

I was able to take PAR numbers but seemed to misplace them. I will re-do them today. 

The tank is chugging along and looking better each day. I am still battling a bit of bubble algae and the random dark bacteria. I will be dosing either vodka and MB7 to battle this or turn the skimmer to a "wetter" setting. 

Macros :

yelloweyemacrozoasmacroraptorsmacrorainbowmacromummyeyehurrmacropinkchalmacromshowermacroacancloseupmummyeyemacro

My favorite fish in the tank. 

royalgrama

New office views :

sidedeskview

Random Photos :

brandtdambrandtdam-635873647472_14e91b798b_b.jpgbrandtdam-3bassdamrodbigbassopendamredingtonreelbigbasscoonholler711-18coonholler711-23coonholler711-20

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Beautiful photographs. Beautiful coral. Beautiful wife? I gotta go get me some crabs!

Thank and yes, my wife. She rocks! About those crabs.....

16 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Great shots and growth! You are making me question my choice of getting another Canon when I buy my next camera, I had almost pulled the trigger on a Sony last year and didn't.

Thanks and you will love your new light. Sony all the way and don't care what people say. Honestly using the A7 series and 6000/6300 series I really prefer the crop sensor for my use. Most people over think the full frame junk. If you are shooting mostly corals and normal life I think the 6300 is perfect. If you are shooting a ton of land scapes, space and items like that then the A7/full frame maybe better suited for you. 

57 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Thanks and you will love your new light. Sony all the way and don't care what people say. Honestly using the A7 series and 6000/6300 series I really prefer the crop sensor for my use. Most people over think the full frame junk. If you are shooting mostly corals and normal life I think the 6300 is perfect. If you are shooting a ton of land scapes, space and items like that then the A7/full frame maybe better suited for you. 

Yeah, I think they are amazing cameras, I just have more experience with Canon and already have some Canon lenses. I worry about lens selection, as we bought the Samsung NX3000 for my wife last year while I was trying to figure out what I wanted, and their glass is crazy expensive with no real alternatives.

And agreed about the light, I almost let me wife talk me out of it, but I know I will be incredibly happy with it. Now I just have to deal with the wait :tears:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, schgr.cube said:

Yeah, I think they are amazing cameras, I just have more experience with Canon and already have some Canon lenses. I worry about lens selection, as we bought the Samsung NX3000 for my wife last year while I was trying to figure out what I wanted, and their glass is crazy expensive with no real alternatives.

And agreed about the light, I almost let me wife talk me out of it, but I know I will be incredibly happy with it. Now I just have to deal with the wait :tears:

Very big misconception of the lens. The sony line will adapt any lens and with focus peaking it is easy to use a cheap manual lens ( or expensive ). 

For the crop sensor the Sigma line is incredible. I use the 30 1.4 which is only $330! Most of the photos you see is using that lens. As well the Sony 28 2 is $448 and is also full frame. I will be buying a Sigma 19 used next month. Also Samyang just came out with a tiny 35 2.8 that is full frame for $400. 

Sigma 30 1.4

Sigma 19 2.8 

#GOLDEN

1 hour ago, MockandRoll said:

I have those same two favias. I hope I can get growth like that. Great pics like always. 

It took a bit to really take off but now that they "like" there spots they have exploded! 

23 minutes ago, brad908 said:

Don't listen to Dave, stick to canon :P

:lol: I don't know, I may have to play a bit more with both. I don't own a Canon anymore, but am using old Canon lenses (with an adapter) on the Samsung.

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Very big misconception of the lens. The sony line will adapt any lens and with focus peaking it is easy to use a cheap manual lens ( or expensive ). 

For the crop sensor the Sigma line is incredible. I use the 30 1.4 which is only $330! Most of the photos you see is using that lens. As well the Sony 28 2 is $448 and is also full frame. I will be buying a Sigma 19 used next month. Also Samyang just came out with a tiny 35 2.8 that is full frame for $400. 

Sigma 30 1.4

Sigma 19 2.8 

#GOLDEN

It took a bit to really take off but now that they "like" there spots they have exploded! 

I'll have to check out the Samyang stuff, I had read a lot of mixed reviews about some of the other brands out there. I used to use Sigma stuff a lot, and was always happy.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Pics are great!  And you're not even using a true macro lens!  I'm also invested in Sony -- the a7rii and the dsc-rx10iii.  Your corals really pop and I suppose that's a testament to your husbandry as well as the photographic equipment.  Nice post!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ajkay said:

Pics are great!  And you're not even using a true macro lens!  I'm also invested in Sony -- the a7rii and the dsc-rx10iii.  Your corals really pop and I suppose that's a testament to your husbandry as well as the photographic equipment.  Nice post!

Thanks and great selection of equipment as well. Using the 75mm with a mix of ways to get around owning a true macro lens. The 90 2.8 however has been on my radar for some time. Just very expensive. 

I really love the RX series as well. Stick that gimbal and you have a KILLER video setup. 

-Dave

Such a beautiful tank. Wonderful photos too Dave!

Do you have 3 clownfish in the tank? Do they all get along? I guess one is different looking enough?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, kinetic said:

Such a beautiful tank. Wonderful photos too Dave!

Do you have 3 clownfish in the tank? Do they all get along? I guess one is different looking enough?

I did before one jumped. It was my fault for spooking the tank in the beginning and then not noticing right away. They always hung out and seemed very docile. 

7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I love macro Monday :wub:, this totally needs to be a thing.

Trying to keep the movement going!

• Like 1

I had a few minutes to shoot the tank and do a quick video ( straight from iPhone 7+ ).  I recently added a RW-4 in the back and will be replacing the MP10 with a KPS pump. 

Settings during video & photos :

Royal Blue - 80%

Blue Cyan - 80%

Violet - 70%

White & Mint - 0%

Video:

Current FTS : Light is now on top of tank due to new legs I am building

Reefer

Walt Disney : Starting to show true colors. Hoping this tiny patch of algae goes away on a tip

Reefer

Others :

ReeferReeferReeferReeferReefer

Enjoy! 

• Like 4

This has been overdue but here are PAR numbers. A few things to note. 

• I do not change my settings - If anything only change overall time duration 
  • Glass reflection increases PAR ( Keep your glass clean! :) )

White - Middle of tank - Directly under the light

Green - Slightly off center

Red - Sand level - ~ 1-2" off glass

Yellow - Next to overflow box - Back center

I try to keep PAR levels where corals are no higher than 350. 

PARNanoBoxRedSea

Enjoy! 

-Dave

***This is an older FTS***

• Like 1
burtbollinger
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

This has been overdue but here are PAR numbers. A few things to note. 

• I do not change my settings - If anything only change overall time duration 
  • Glass reflection increases PAR ( Keep your glass clean! :) )

White - Middle of tank - Directly under the light

Green - Slightly off center

Red - Sand level - ~ 1-2" off glass

Yellow - Next to overflow box - Back center

I try to keep PAR levels where corals are no higher than 350. 

PARNanoBoxRedSea

Enjoy! 

-Dave

***This is an older FTS***

can we get a reminder of your approx. nanobox settings that achieve these PARs?    

16 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

From a couple posts above:

"Settings during video & photos :

Royal Blue - 80%

Blue Cyan - 80%

Violet - 70%

White & Mint - 0%"

Not sure if those are normal settings or just photo settings though

• Thanks 1
On 8/22/2017 at 6:26 PM, burtbollinger said:

Posting a few things later today. Stay tuned. 

It is almost the weekend! I changed the MP10 with the KPS pump and pretty impressed. The pump is almost silent. The flow rate is much different ( less ) but I simply turned up the MP40. 

Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure. 

RedSeaAugRedSeaAug-7RedSeaAug-4RedSeaAug-2RedSeaAug-8RedSeaAug-5RedSeaAug-6

And some fishing. :D

gurglerbassgurglerbass1-2gurglerbass1

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 3

I am heading out of town Friday - Monday so I figured why not take a few photos and a quick iPhone video.

Raw unedited iPhone + Video :

Walt Disney Acro Growth - July - Today

waltdisneyredsea82817-6

redsea82817redsea82817-7redsea82817-5redsea82817-4redsea82817-3redsea82817-2

• Like 3

Dave, do you do a fair bit of editing after the fact to get your pics to come out as your eye likely sees them under the heavy blues? Seems like when I take pics under heavy blue it's just an overall wash out.  Tips and tricks?

8 hours ago, KJoFan said:

Dave, do you do a fair bit of editing after the fact to get your pics to come out as your eye likely sees them under the heavy blues? Seems like when I take pics under heavy blue it's just an overall wash out.  Tips and tricks?

Of course! Below is what I use. They number one thing to excel photos under royal blue is the orange gel filter. This blocks the some of the blue spectrum from the camera sensor. Everyones sensor will be a bit different so the pack below will take tweaking to work 100% with you. Shoot in RAW, white balance ~ 5300-5900 and and a shutter speed higher than 80. 

Camera Gear :

Sony A6300

Sigma 30 1.4

Sony 16-70 4

Voit 75mm 1.8

Hoya Close Up Adaptor - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1321853-REG/hoya_a_58cus_ii_58mm_hmc_close_up_filter.html

Vello Tubes - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsP3_P_y1QIVyIh-Ch0hmA84EAQYBSABEgK6CvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1048759

Orange Filter - https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Universal-Photography-Speedlite-Balance/dp/B00QN48X0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503664761&sr=8-1&keywords=orange+gel+filter