Cultivated Reef

Fluconazole - Bryopsis Silver Bullet?

cnseekatz

38 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

I'm not going to lie. I'm as giddy as a six year old waiting for Christmas day, waiting for my shipment.

:rolleyes:

I'm excited for you too!

6 hours ago, seabass said:

@vegasgundog, while it probably won't be effective on the common hair algae, at least it should take out the bryopsis (making what's left easier to manage).

I don't know if this will affect anything besides bryopsis... at least not from what I've seen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vegasgundog said:

At this point I'm willing to try anything. I really think the vibrant acted like miracle grow and I'm just now recovered from the super spongy red cyano it created. 

Post the best photo you can get of the algae... Should make sure it's bryopsis before you go this route.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

This is really fascinating to follow along, what a cool discovery! How is it working in your friend's 400 gallon tank @makingfilms?

He is on day 7 as well.  he has gotten rid more than me granted His rock was  covered with byropisis  where I only had patches.  As people are reporting the higher the light and flow where the patches are seem to  impact on the quickness of the treatment. He has a lot of light up top for some large sps colonies and after day 1 you could see that the treatment was taking effect. Bryopsis was white and looked sad. My tank I didn't see anything for about 24-48 hours but one of my patches is very shaded 

Not to hijack this thread....but this is what I've been dealing with since the biocube where I thought I had it under control.

20170217_160742_zps4nt6x2ax.jpg

The right was harvested before my work related incident two weeks ago that makes it hard for right hand work.

20170217_160841_zpsxyhfygvi.jpg

Close up of left side.

20170217_160948_zps6vig0ocd.jpg

These two coral rocks have had MULTIPLE peroxide dips and it comes back every time. Poor shrooms are troopers, when I can't see them anymore I pull out the algae again.

20170217_160808_zpsuuhinn2y.jpg

20170217_160824_zpskcqfwuhy.jpg

So this is my soul killing demon in my tank. I could spend hours harvesting and it comes back. Peroxide just sends it into hiding. Nothing eats it and I have lost zoas to its foul evil tendrils. Hopefully this treatment will work because I want to look at an aquarium without it.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

So this is my soul killing demon in my tank. I could spend hours harvesting and it comes back. Peroxide just sends it into hiding. Nothing eats it and I have lost zoas to its foul evil tendrils. Hopefully this treatment will work because I want to look at an aquarium without it.

Hard to tell if that's bryopsis. Looks like it might be GHA, which I don't think will be affected by the Fluco. 

Bryopsis has feathery ends and pretty hefty stems... like this:

GBHKcXyHaq3N.jpg

Thats where I'm leaning myself. My only hope is that some posters have said that they are seeing gha succumb to treatment,  but a lot slower. The good news is no one is reporting any adverse effects to tank inhabitants. 

3 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

Not I. Nasty cyano outbreak and seriously seemed to fuel the algae. 

A little Chemi-Clean or Red Slime Remover will dust that cyano... no prob!

22 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

A little Chemi-Clean or Red Slime Remover will dust that cyano... no prob!

Ya I tried manual first....chemi clean to the rescue. it took it down pdq

4 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Hard to tell if that's bryopsis. Looks like it might be GHA, which I don't think will be affected by the Fluco. 

Bryopsis has feathery ends and pretty hefty stems... like this:

GBHKcXyHaq3N.jpg

GHA dies to fliuco. It just takes longer. 

I just wanted to say Thank You cnseekatz  for posting this. Im on my ninth day after dosing this and it saved my tank. It is 85% gone this is amazing! I have a SPS dominated tank and I See no effect on my live stock. Tank you Very Much!

• Like 2
13 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

GHA dies to fliuco. It just takes longer. 

Are you positive? I'd be tempted to try if so. 

On 2/17/2017 at 11:57 AM, stellablue said:

Great thread!!!  I don't have bryo but I'm thinking of buying some of this in the event I do get some!

Guess it comes in handy that I work at a pharmacy. ?

Just received my shipment and as much as I want to get this started, I only have a couple of hours until work. I'll be patient and wait until tomorrow so I can observe if there are any emergencies. So far there has only been one person reporting a bad event from adding it to the tank. It was only one fish and it may have been directly dosed when it was added. I'll be using a syringe and pipe to direct it to the algae directly as close to the root when I add mine.

today marks the 14th day of fluconazone dose. There is still a noticeable sized patch of the Bryo surviving. because of the location towards the back and bottom of the tank, and my lack of proper equipment (and the skills to use said equipment!) I can't get a good enough picture to show, but trust me it's there. Should I do a water change and dose again, or let it keep going to see if it eventually does totally disappear?

I should let someone with experience answer this, as haven't experimented with it yet.  However, I'd probably try the water change and another dose.  Also, maybe add a herbivore or two to help with it.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

today marks the 14th day of fluconazone dose. There is still a noticeable sized patch of the Bryo surviving. because of the location towards the back and bottom of the tank, and my lack of proper equipment (and the skills to use said equipment!) I can't get a good enough picture to show, but trust me it's there. Should I do a water change and dose again, or let it keep going to see if it eventually does totally disappear?

Any way you can rearrange to put this patch into a more exposed area?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Not without totally pissing off a toadstool and a torch! But...Yes, if that's what it'll take.

A few days after the bulk of my bryopsis died, I was playing around and found a patch that was kind of buried between rocks. It had survived when the rest died. I left it exposed, and it died a few days later. If you can reasonably do the same with yours, that would be my recommendation before adding more Fluco. I don't have any experience with additional dosing, and can't speak to any effects that might have.... though i suppose you could report back to us! :)

• Like 4

I think the idea was to run carbon and do a water change to clean the medication out of the system after 14 days. I'd think you'd could try again at that point. Or give the tank a rest for a while and then try again.

This stuff is a miracle. I still cannot believe my bryopsis is gone, after having it for so long I thought my only option was going to be to start over. With vibrant and fluconazole, hopefully there's no need to stress over algae ever again.

• Like 4