Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluconazole - Bryopsis Silver Bullet?

cnseekatz

I'm not sure if it's bryopsis that I have, or some other turf algae - it didn't respond to Tech M at all.

rby2rb.jpg

I just ordered some of this fish fluconazole to try out. Sounds like it can't hurt...

I'm not sure if it's bryopsis that I have, or some other turf algae - it didn't respond to Tech M at all.

rby2rb.jpg

I just ordered some of this fish fluconazole to try out. Sounds like it can't hurt...

Looks like Bryo to me. Good luck with the Fluco... I think you'll like it!

• Like 1

You may not want to break the dose up into smaller doses.

I know that fluconazole has dose-dependent effects against fungi, not a time dependent effect. A one time dose would probably be more effective.

• Like 1

My shipment arrived yesterday. Going to do a water change/general clean up then dose 200mg (I think. Have to go back and research a little to determine proper dose). If I can get a decent shot of the bryo i will host a pic. It's pretty much in the back and behind stuff though, so i may not be able to get a good representation.

The medicine is sold as 200mg/capsule.

I converted the dosage from the R2R thread as being a single treatment of 1 capsule per 6-10 gallons of system volume.

Capsule contents removed from casing, dissolved in tank water, added to tank. the end :)

• Like 3

The medicine is sold as 200mg/capsule.

I converted the dosage from the R2R thread as being a single treatment of 1 capsule per 6-10 gallons of system volume.

Capsule contents removed from casing, dissolved in tank water, added to tank. the end :)

I'm debating whether to use 2 or three capsules. BC 29. not 100% sure of my actual volume. Maybe 18-20 gallons.

leaning towards 3 capsules

• Like 1

Tank cleaned. Water changed. Removed carbon. Added contents of 3 200mg capsules to 1 cup of tank water and slowly poured into tank in front of power head. will get a current picture posted up in just a bit. My outbreak is worse than I thought. removed a rock to get the picture and discovered a huge outbreak.

• Like 1

This is wonderful new, I'm struggling with keeping my 40 cube or breaking it down. I've done peroxide but it comes back. I have a nudi-branch but don't think he will keep up, lost another to filter :(. I have brown algae now with the mass die off. Ugh I'm going to buy this. Thanks for the information and keep the updates coming.

natalia_la_loca

I'm dosing flucon in my reefbowl to try to eliminate a bryopsis (?) infestation. I've been controlling it with peroxide since the beginning, so there will not be any dramatic before/after pix (assuming the flucon works).

I accidentally added only about half a dose due to a miscalculation. I added about another half dose three days in.

Six days in, I'm not sure if the fluconazone is taking effect. I still see several little strands of algae. The snails are pretty thorough, so if it were dying, I would think it would be disappearing faster.

Tomorrow is the day I usually do the weekly 100% water change. I'm not sure how to proceed. I could skip the water change and add another full dose of flucon, or do the water change and dose flucon after. If I do the water change, it will allow me to treat the algae with peroxide--a form of insurance in case the flucon doesn't work. If I don't do the water change, it could possibly make for a larger cumulative dose of flucon to help knock back the algae for good. Thoughts?

(apologies for anyone reading this twice--I originally wrote this in my own thread but figured I should repost it here to get the eyes of flucon experimenters on it)

I would say do the water change, treat with peroxide, and add another dose of fluconazole, since you will have removed it from the system. As much as we love a good scientific experiment, we love dead bryopsis more.

• Like 1

If not, I'm thinking total break down. Start over. All new rock. Salvage what I can. I jut worry if I do that and manage to get my corals off of their current rocks and put them back in, will i just be putting Bryopsis spores back in. It's so exasperating! Let just hope this fluconozol works.

• Like 2

Latest update on my fluconazole treatment. Click image for higher resolution.

I think it's safe to say that's its visibly eliminated the bryopsis from my tank. Whether or not it has destroyed the roots remains to be seen. I should mention I am technically 13 days into the treatment, but all visible signs were gone by the 8th day. I didn't see a point taking pictures beyond that.

GmnK2YQ.jpg?1

• Like 5