cnseekatz

Fluconazole - Bryopsis Silver Bullet?

108 posts in this topic

What's the long term of this stuff? Anybody know? I'm wondering if it's just a bandaid, or permanent. Anyone have reports of no recurrence after eliminating bryopsis? 

15 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

What's the long term of this stuff? Anybody know? I'm wondering if it's just a bandaid, or permanent. Anyone have reports of no recurrence after eliminating bryopsis? 

It hasn't been used for this purpose in the US for very long. Apparently there are a few guys in Brazil that have been using it for a couple of years, with no reports of major side effects. 

I think I may have seen one (pretty predictable) side effect of this treatment. I have a small bunch of Dragon's Breath macro (Halymenia), and it's looking pretty sad. It's dark and not really growing, even though it's in a great spot (plenty of light and flow). It's not dying, but since I started dosing Vibrant, and later Fluco, it's not happy. I certainly can't say for sure that the two are related, but it wouldn't be a huge shock. 

1 person likes this

I still can't get a good picture (I don't understand how people take great photos with their iPhones), but I managed to move the rock with remaining Bryo on it to the top of the tank where it will get the most light and flow. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I still can't get a good picture (I don't understand how people take great photos with their iPhones)

Take a bunch of pics and choose the best one.  I think the closer the object is to you, the better it usually turns out.  You might try turning off the tank lights, and take the pic with just good room lighting.  Also, before you take the picture, touch the display where you want to focus.  Finally, open the camera app while pointing at the subject (with the lighting you plan to take the picture with); sometimes that helps with the white balance.

Taken with an iPhone 6 ;)

022117a.jpg

4 people like this

I'm going to try this on my pico that's getting a GHA infestation after today's WC. It's under manual control right now but I'm tired of tweezing them out of the sand bed everyday. Will report back with pictures.

After 2 days of moving affected rock to the top of the tank Remaining Bryo is bare visible. Take: high flow and light are definitely key factors to success of this treatment. Plan to leave it until Sunday when I'll do a thorough cleaning and water change.

3 people like this

If I were a salt manufacture.... I would start making an "algae maintenance" salt and include the Fluco directly into the mix. I'd buy that in a heart beat. 

2 people like this