ReefCleaners.org

Fluconazole - Bryopsis Silver Bullet?

cnseekatz

What's the long term of this stuff? Anybody know? I'm wondering if it's just a bandaid, or permanent. Anyone have reports of no recurrence after eliminating bryopsis? 

15 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

What's the long term of this stuff? Anybody know? I'm wondering if it's just a bandaid, or permanent. Anyone have reports of no recurrence after eliminating bryopsis? 

It hasn't been used for this purpose in the US for very long. Apparently there are a few guys in Brazil that have been using it for a couple of years, with no reports of major side effects. 

I think I may have seen one (pretty predictable) side effect of this treatment. I have a small bunch of Dragon's Breath macro (Halymenia), and it's looking pretty sad. It's dark and not really growing, even though it's in a great spot (plenty of light and flow). It's not dying, but since I started dosing Vibrant, and later Fluco, it's not happy. I certainly can't say for sure that the two are related, but it wouldn't be a huge shock. 

• Like 1

I still can't get a good picture (I don't understand how people take great photos with their iPhones), but I managed to move the rock with remaining Bryo on it to the top of the tank where it will get the most light and flow. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I still can't get a good picture (I don't understand how people take great photos with their iPhones)

Take a bunch of pics and choose the best one.  I think the closer the object is to you, the better it usually turns out.  You might try turning off the tank lights, and take the pic with just good room lighting.  Also, before you take the picture, touch the display where you want to focus.  Finally, open the camera app while pointing at the subject (with the lighting you plan to take the picture with); sometimes that helps with the white balance.

Taken with an iPhone 6 ;)

022117a.jpg

• Like 5

I'm going to try this on my pico that's getting a GHA infestation after today's WC. It's under manual control right now but I'm tired of tweezing them out of the sand bed everyday. Will report back with pictures.

After 2 days of moving affected rock to the top of the tank Remaining Bryo is bare visible. Take: high flow and light are definitely key factors to success of this treatment. Plan to leave it until Sunday when I'll do a thorough cleaning and water change.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, uwdanno said:

If I were a salt manufacture.... I would start making an "algae maintenance" salt and include the Fluco directly into the mix. I'd buy that in a heart beat. 

Until the algae develops resistance to fluconazole.... Probably slower than bacteria but it can (and will) happen.

5 hours ago, dandelion said:

Until the algae develops resistance to fluconazole.... Probably slower than bacteria but it can (and will) happen.

Interesting. Can you share any more info on bryopsis developing resistance to chemicals and compounds? I'd love to read up on it!

Anything in nature will develop a resistance. Plants are becoming tolerant to round up weed killer. I saw it discussed that they really don't know how or if fluconazole breaks down in the environment, hence it is generally a prescription only drug.

5 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

Anything in nature will develop a resistance. Plants are becoming tolerant to round up weed killer. I saw it discussed that they really don't know how or if fluconazole breaks down in the environment, hence it is generally a prescription only drug.

Anything in nature will develop resistance? That's a broad assumption. Extinction of plants that didn't develop resistance to an event is very real.

Plants building up resistance takes many years if not decades. It's essentially an evolutionary process- which obviously doesn't happen quickly. I highly doubt that we will see bryopsis develop any sort of resistance in half our life times. 

7 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Anything in nature will develop resistance? That's a broad assumption. Extinction of plants that didn't develop resistance to an event is very real.

Plants building up resistance takes many years if not decades. It's essentially an evolutionary process- which obviously doesn't happen quickly. I highly doubt that we will see bryopsis develop any sort of resistance in half our life times. 

I'm sure it'll take longer than bacteria. My point is don't put it into your system if you don't have any algae issues. That was a response to having it pre-added to salt mixed. 

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, dandelion said:

I'm sure it'll take longer than bacteria. My point is don't put it into your system if you don't have any algae issues. That was a response to having it pre-added to salt mixed. 

Fair point. The average duration of time that a tank is actually setup isn't long. I'd be willing to put in preventative measures to have a gorgeous algae free tank. If we assume that it would take 10 years to develop resistance- 99% of tanks won't last that long.

To each their own. Not saying you guys are wrong. I'd bet a resistance would build up too, but all things considered wouldn't be the draw back assumed.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Fair point. The average duration of time that a tank is actually setup isn't long. I'd be willing to put in preventative measures to have a gorgeous algae free tank. If we assume that it would take 10 years to develop resistance- 99% of tanks won't last that long.

To each their own. Not saying you guys are wrong. I'd bet a resistance would build up too, but all things considered wouldn't be the draw back assumed.

Don't forget though when you put fluconazole or any other antifungal/antibacterial medications into your tank, you are also exposing the medications to any bacteria in the tank. Any strains that are susceptible will be either wiped out or acquired resistance, leaving the resistant strains flourish. I am not sure if there are any bacteria in a saltwater aquarium that can cause serious human infection, other than tuberculosis, for which fluconazole is not a suitable treatment.

That said I still dosed fluconazole in my tank to hopefully help with GHA. I just wanted to raise awareness of antibacterial/antifungal resistance. If I can eradicate GHA from my system, I will just do bayer & peroxide dip for any new corals as preventative. If I notice GHA spreading in my tank again though I would not hesitate but "fluke" the hell out of them.

Full seven days of treatment. I'm watching the tailspot blenny rip huge mouth fulls out of the algae which it spits out and the fiji fox face then eats up. Those two and the blue eyed tang are all eating away on algae they never touched before.

20170226_145501.jpg

20170226_145710.jpg

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

Full seven days of treatment. I'm watching the tailspot blenny rip huge mouth fulls out of the algae which it spits out and the fiji fox face then eats up. Those two and the blue eyed tang are all eating away on algae they never touched before.

20170226_145501.jpg

20170226_145710.jpg

Wow I really hope this will happen to mine too. If it doesn't work then I'll have to do some heavy manual cleaning when I move my SPS to my Fluval Evo 12.

15 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

20170226_145501.jpg

20170226_145710.jpg

I've heard this a lot. Where the algae (particularly GHA) starts to wither a bit, and grazers who never showed interest before go nuts. 

• Like 1