Cultivated Reef

Fluconazole - Bryopsis Silver Bullet?

cnseekatz

looks like you had more noticeable results after just one day then I'm seeing in my tank. Wondering if I should dose another capsule?

I had been dosing vibrant prior to the fluconazole. It's very possible the vibrant caused the bryopsis to weaken, therefore allowing the fluconazole to progress faster.

I had been dosing vibrant prior to the fluconazole. It's very possible the vibrant caused the bryopsis to weaken, therefore allowing the fluconazole to progress faster.

i have been using vibrant since early december

Is most of your bryopsis shaded and in low flow? It's been noted in r2r that the treatment works faster for bryopsis under high light and high flow.

Yes. most of it is at the bottom of the tank, under and behind rock work and corals. not sure how to move to high flow high light area without disrupting so much. I'll see what I can do

Yes. most of it is at the bottom of the tank, under and behind rock work and corals. not sure how to move to high flow high light area without disrupting so much. I'll see what I can do

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The treatment will get to them, just not as fast. Even with shaded bryopsis, most users are reporting full elimination by the treatment period of 14 days.

• Like 1

I had great success with this in my 80g tank with acros and a magnifica anemone, I can't believe this treatment actually works. I just hope that it's a long term solution, but for right now I'm enjoying my tank again and I can't be happier watching everything rebound after abusing my tank with vibrant.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The treatment will get to them, just not as fast. Even with shaded bryopsis, most users are reporting full elimination by the treatment period of 14 days.

To be clear - are we talking about holding off on any water changes during this period, or is it a single treatment and then go about your normal husbandry?

To be clear - are we talking about holding off on any water changes during this period, or is it a single treatment and then go about your normal husbandry?

From what I understand - and what I did - is one dose of fluconazole. No water changes at all for 14 days and no activated carbon. It is ok to leave your skimmer/biopellets/carbon dosing on. After 14 days has passed, you can proceed on as usual.

• Like 2

It took 12 days to completely remove 100% of bryopsis from my tank.

Treatment1_zps5da8yk7l.jpg

Day 12

20170206_073242_zpsgxisbu2p.jpg

Treatment4_zpsisjl5hjb.jpg

Day 12

20170206_073415_zpssfpvpouk.jpg

Treatment3_zpspkkpg5yr.jpg

Day 12

20170206_073259_zpsbvhduyw8.jpg

Treatment2_zpse7o3zkjf.jpg

Day 12

20170206_073319_zps35gwhgtu.jpg

From what I understand - and what I did - is one dose of fluconazole. No water changes at all for 14 days and no activated carbon. It is ok to leave your skimmer/biopellets/carbon dosing on. After 14 days has passed, you can proceed on as usual.

This is how I treated, with great success.

I don't think it needs to be in high light, high flow... Just happens that the more exposed it is, the faster it dies. I found a patch that was sandwiched between rocks that survived a week, I shifted the rocks a bit to expose the bryo, and it died in 2 days.

• Like 6

Just posted this in my build thread without paying attention, so my apologies for double posting but i thought it should go here. After 5 days I feel like I'm finally seeing some results. Bro is still pretty thick, but showing signs of discoloration

IMG_3690

IMG_3691

IMG_3691 by Penny, on Flickr

I have been following this thread with interest.

Where can I find fluconazole, how much does it cost? And how much does it to take to dose a 30 gal tank?

I googled this item and I am coming up with "Brands: Diflucan

Availability: Prescription needed"
I hate to admit, but my tank had/has a nasty Algae issue. I finally re-gained Nitrate control, and now I do have less algae.
I also have Bubble Algae :(
  • Like 1

I have been following this thread with interest.

Where can I find fluconazole, how much does it cost? And how much does it to take to dose a 30 gal tank?

I googled this item and I am coming up with "Brands: Diflucan

Availability: Prescription needed"
I hate to admit, but my tank had/has a nasty Algae issue. I finally re-gained Nitrate control, and now I do have less algae.
I also have Bubble Algae :(

I just got mine here:

https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

Also, the FAQ is in this thread: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

• Like 3

Somehow I getc r2r suggestions from fb and the page for this stuff cam up. After reading 50% of a 96 pg thread, I ordered 20 caps today. It is embarrassing the state of my tank. I tried the vibrant wagon and I think it made it worse. Manual removal has been hard because of an otj injury that requires 24 7 splitting of my finger for 2 months. My only fear at this point is mine is not byprosis as it dosnt seem wiry enough but I'm willing to try.

My order from payless should be here tomorrow. Following the thread, everyone is dumping the solution directly into the DT with results starting within 2-3 days, some sooner. My plan is to turn the pumps off for a feeding and apply the solution directly to the areas of higher concentrations of algae to see if this will speed up the devastation of the evil weed destroying the soul of my aquarium. Being as I am not completely sure it is all byprosis but maybe a combination of byprosis and hair im hoping this will speed uptake of the solution to the hair algae.

@vegasgundog, while it probably won't be effective on the common hair algae, at least it should take out the bryopsis (making what's left easier to manage).

I am on day 5 now. 

I am noticing that my CUC congregates (especially the Conch) around the Bryo. I am assuming they are eating it as the Fluco breaks it down. For anyone starting this, I feel its worth noting to have a solid clean up crew to help mow it down. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm at day 10. My patches are down by probably half. I've never noticed any of my snails or hermit crabs munching on it.

Interesting. My Conch usually roams all around. Since I started, he hasn't left the patch. His trunk is constantly eating it up. My Cowrie seems to love it too. I wonder if its a species thing...

• Like 1
Just now, Pjanssen said:

hmm. maybe I should get a conch

For so many reason - I would. Its amazing. By far the star of my CUC. I don't vacuum my sandbed nearly enough but he keeps it REALLY clean. I also highly recommend a Money Cowrie. I've see it mow down algae patches (mostly turf) with no problem.  

13 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Interesting. My Conch usually roams all around. Since I started, he hasn't left the patch. His trunk is constantly eating it up. My Cowrie seems to love it too. I wonder if its a species thing...

The thread on the "other" site quotes some scientifical stuff that makes me go "uh-huh" that the antifungal breaks down the substance in the algaes cells that acts as a deterent to herbivores predation. Most of the people have seen that fish and thier cc that previously left the algae alonew are going to town on it after 4-5 days.

• Like 1
Just now, vegasgundog said:

The thread on the "other" site quotes some scientifical stuff that makes me go "uh-huh" that the antifungal breaks down the substance in the algaes cells that acts as a deterent to herbivores predation. Most of the people have seen that fish and thier cc that previously left the algae alonew are going to town on it after 4-5 days.

From what I am seeing- I would agree. 

5 hours ago, seabass said:

@vegasgundog, while it probably won't be effective on the common hair algae, at least it should take out the bryopsis (making what's left easier to manage).

At this point I'm willing to try anything. I really think the vibrant acted like miracle grow and I'm just now recovered from the super spongy red cyano it created. 

• Like 1

I only have a 13 gallon that I set downgraded to and had 2 patches of byropsis.  My friend has a 400 gallon so I got one capsule from his order to give it a try. This is 200mg which should be good for my roughly 10 gallons of water.  I am on day 7 of treatment and 1 patch is completely gone which was high up on rocks the patch lower in shade starting to melt away but did not seem affected until a day or so ago. Should be good in 14 days I think. My cuc has been munching on upper patch since about day 3-4. Once it starts turning white snails seem to go to town. My friends tangs in his tank started pecking at patches at day 3

• Like 3