ReefCleaners.org

Please recommend light setting

Canadianeh

Dave,

for 2 BTA, some LPS in a IM Fusion 40 tank.

Is this a Duo? If it were me I would run my Royal, Violet and Blue/Cyan ~ 80%-90%. The adjust the white ~40%.

-Dave

Is this a Duo? If it were me I would run my Royal, Violet and Blue/Cyan ~ 80%-90%. The adjust the white ~40%.

-Dave

it is a duo plus M model

but is that setting in reference to Midday, morning, or evening setting?

Midday. It is a great thread to base stuff off of. Those are good starting points and you can adjust to you liking.

The hard part about reefing is there is no "right" or "wrong". Some people have insane success with certain lighting schedules that others won't.

-Dave

Midday. It is a great thread to base stuff off of. Those are good starting points and you can adjust to you liking.

The hard part about reefing is there is no "right" or "wrong". Some people have insane success with certain lighting schedules that others won't.

-Dave

The frogspawn is transparent green. Is it supposed to be transparent? What lighting setting is best and where is the best placement of the corals?

I am using Nanobox Duo Plus M LED.

20170131_191334_zpsmgd3rt3e.jpg

20170131_191341_zpseibqvrrr.jpg

Those look like they are receiving to much light and possible low nutrients.

-Dave

so in that case, are you still recommending to set up the RB, CY, V lights at 80%-90%? At the same time, BTA requires strong light too.

I recommend watching the corals to see how they react. Adding more light for that will not be needed and I would leave as is.

I have a RBTA in my IM10 and only running 50%. I think you will be fine. :D

burtbollinger

so in that case, are you still recommending to set up the RB, CY, V lights at 80%-90%? At the same time, BTA requires strong light too.

are you starting to see why you were told repeatedly on threads and on multiple PMs dont rush things...yet you add BTAs and LPS to a new tank? It makes for a complex situation.

Also, to me, your LPS have looked slightly bleached since day 1. Could be camera.

Personally, if you are concerned about the Frogspawn really bleaching out...Royal, Violet and Blue/Cyan ~ 75%. The adjust the white ~35%.

are you starting to see why you were told repeatedly on threads and on multiple PMs dont rush things...yet you add BTAs and LPS to a new tank?

Also, to me, your LPS have looked slightly bleached since day 1.

I am not getting anything else new now. So you think my light setting is too high? My LPS looks exactly the same from day#1 and that is the day when I got them from well known local reefer. It could be the camera. It looks much better is person and I don't know how to take good picture to give good representation of the LPS IMO

burtbollinger

Yeah, i think from day 1 that frogspawn has looked like that (i do pay attention to your pics ;) )

Dave's numbers are what I am running...slightly dialed down.

I am running my Duo at Royal, Violet and Blue/Cyan ~ 75%. white ~35%.

I think you are probably fine...just keep monitoring.

I think you could even go lower on the intensity. These lights are powerful! Get yourself a cheap lux meter ($15) to see just how powerful they really are. Your eyes are a lousy test of brightness. I have my midday settings at 30% whites 75% blue and I'm getting 50000 lux at the surface which is more than enough for anything except the most light demanding corals. The sun is 100000 lux. Some people will dismiss using lux to measure the brightness of our leds, but it does work and it's much better than just trying to eyeball it if you don't have a PAR meter.

I think you could even go lower on the intensity. These lights are powerful! Get yourself a cheap lux meter ($15) to see just how powerful they really are. Your eyes are a lousy test of brightness. I have my midday settings at 30% whites 75% blue and I'm getting 50000 lux at the surface which is more than enough for anything except the most light demanding corals. The sun is 100000 lux. Some people will dismiss using lux to measure the brightness of our leds, but it does work and it's much better than just trying to eyeball it if you don't have a PAR meter.

where do you find one for $15? I can't find one. What's the different between LUX and PAR meter?

Look on Amazon. I have the HDE LX 1010B it's $16.99. I'm not the one to explain the difference PAR and LUX to you. There are many good reads that can be found by much smarter people than me. One thing I can tell you is that a decent PAR meter will set you back hundreds.

Look on Amazon. I have the HDE LX 1010B it's $16.99. I'm not the one to explain the difference PAR and LUX to you. There are many good reads that can be found by much smarter people than me. One thing I can tell you is that a decent PAR meter will set you back hundreds.

but that one is not waterproof is it?

Dave,

How do I set the night time only for 2 hours for an example? I want my night start at 11 PM with moonlight only and then completely shut off with no light at all after 2 hours. Is this possible?

Dave,

How do I set the night time only for 2 hours for an example? I want my night start at 11 PM with moonlight only and then completely shut off with no light at all after 2 hours. Is this possible?

Not an option yet but will be shortly.

Also here is my torch and RBTA under the Tide I was talking about above.

31860325353_4ebb812d55_z.jpgCameraMacroTorch by Dave Fason, on Flickr

31860325953_e2e8ca3089_z.jpgCameraMacroRBTA by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Archived