inTank Media Baskets

Need A New Tank!

The Pickled Reef

The Pickled Reef

Hello Everyone!

I have decided to set up a new saltwater tank!

I consider myself a novice in the hobby, I have had a few tanks in the past and they have progressed and become more successful. I have not had one for a couple years because of moving pretty often. I have saved equipment from past builds and purchased random aquarium equipment preparing for a future build. I have LED light strips, Media Reactors, HOB filters, ROI Canisters, Mixing Pumps and Power Heads, Pluming Parts, Dried Rock, Testing Equipment and multiple 20L tanks and a 40G Breeder. So I have been planing one and after visiting Hawaii I can’t resist it anymore.

Still debating on the display, the all in one tanks are tempting, but I like sumps because they allow so many more options for equipment. I will likely stay around soft corals and low maintenance live stock (relative!).

I think I will start by rising and curing my dry rock. I may even go as far as a temporary display with a 20L. See if I can past a cycle and get some good life on the rock while deciding a display. Maybe that is a crazy idea!

Look forward to sharing some progress with everyone!

Thanks!

Attached Last Tank

post-93193-0-00398400-1485812308_thumb.jpg

Personally, I don't really understand why people shell out crazy money for aquariums. I think normal all glass (Optiwhite is sexy, though) tanks are just as beautiful, coupled with a fitting stand of sorts, as any EXPENSIVE package option :)

Go with the 40G breeder or 20Ls as your DT, and one of the other tanks for a sump :)
My 2 cents ^^

The Pickled Reef

Personally, I don't really understand why people shell out crazy money for aquariums. I think normal all glass (although Optiwhite is sexy, though) tanks are just as beautiful, coupled with a fitting stand of sorts, as any EXPENSIVE package option :)

Go with the 40G breeder or 20Ls as your DT, and one of the other tanks for a sump :)

My 2 cents ^^

It is very tempting, I purchased them believing they would be for quarantine or coral farming.

It is very tempting, I purchased them believing they would be for quarantine or coral farming.

As long as they are not scratched to hell, they make great beginner tanks :)

The Pickled Reef

Picked out some rock from my stash and started the process to cure it.

I am going to uses a storage bin with a lid in the garage.

Starting on the first of the month should be a good way to keep track of how long they have been going.

post-93193-0-05549800-1485995313_thumb.jpg

post-93193-0-39388900-1485995329_thumb.jpg

post-93193-0-83615400-1485995341_thumb.jpg

The Pickled Reef

Ok! Picked up a 10 Gal $10 tank. Probably upgrade in the future, but wanted to get something going!

Sprayed the back of the tank, and cut a peace of egg crate to fit in the bottom. I have a couple Old Par 38 bulbs, and an IKEA light pendant hanging over offset to a side.

Any thoughts at this point?

Thanks!!

post-93193-0-45552400-1486502361_thumb.jpg

The Pickled Reef

Ok tank got moved to another room!

I know this set up will not blow anyones mind. I just wanted to get something going and for > $30 of new money spent on set up I am pretty happy.

I have a trip the end of March, after that I should be ready to add some livestock (Probably COWLR). Until them I will add some MicroBacter7 and something to feed the bacteria as it populates.

Also considering the Kessil A80, but not sure if it will be enough for an IM Nuvo 20 (my eventual upgrade).

post-93193-0-82984800-1486594109_thumb.jpg

The Pickled Reef

I got a bottle of Fritz Zyme 9 to build up the bacteria quicker in the tank. It smells terrible, recommend adding it before leaving the house!

Also upgraded my test kit with the Red Sea Kit, probably order the rest of the Red Sea Kits.

No Ammonia yet...

post-93193-0-72572300-1486694160_thumb.jpg

The Pickled Reef

I upgraded my rock curing in the garage. I have some rock going and cycling in the 10 gal, but have few more peaces and rubble in the tub curing for when I get the new tank going.

post-93193-0-97006300-1486761211_thumb.jpg

The Pickled Reef
On 2/17/2017 at 1:59 PM, WV Reefer said:

i like the shape of the rock......oh and the clownfish is cute too. :)

Thanks! I used epoxy to build that peace into that shape.

• 3 weeks later...
The Pickled Reef

About the one month anniversary of the tank! Weekly gallon water changes, and dosing MB7 and FastStart-M. Starting to ramp the time up on the light, hope to start building some life on the rock. 

3:8:17 Test.JPG

Archived