Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Replacing DI resin- did I do it right

uwharrie

I ordered color changing resin from BRS for my Pinnacle system. The package was supposed to be for one cartridge change but I could not fit all the resin in.

My question is how dense should I pack the resin? I notice after making just 18 gallons of RODI the bottom two inches of resin is now gold. Is that normal? do I have the resin packed too tight? not tight enough?

You want to pack it in the canister the best you can, I jam it in until I can barely screw the cap on and still have extra resin. They have a video on how to change this media you can pull up. It changes to a gold/white as it becomes used up but that should not be for a while unless you have horrific water quality. With 2 inches changing in just 18 gallons something is incorrect.

My water quality is pretty good. ( 30-40 TDS straight out of the tap) We added a booster pump and have had issues keeping constant pressure ( per the gauge) wonder if that is the issue? The DI cartridge does not fill completely with water even when allowing the system to pressurize first. ( it fills then goes back down)

My water quality is pretty good. ( 30-40 TDS straight out of the tap) We added a booster pump and have had issues keeping constant pressure ( per the gauge) wonder if that is the issue? The DI cartridge does not fill completely with water even when allowing the system to pressurize first. ( it fills then goes back down)

You probably have air in your system. Turn it on and slowly unscrew the canister that only partly fills up. Let the water level rise inside until it's about to spill out then screw on tight.

I have air in my last DI canister as well. Don't sweat it. It has to do with the level of the output hose. When I make water, my unit sits in the sink and the hose goes to a bucket on the floor. If I put the bucket on the counter top, thereby raising the level of the output hose, the water level will raise in the DI canister. As far as the color change of your DI resin, I wouldn't use that as an indicator either, go by what your TDS reads post DI stage. I learned all of this stuff though PMing AZDesertRat when I set up my Spectrapure Dual DI canisters.

will try that and see what happends. wonder if I should replace the media in the bottom or just let it be. I am surprised it changed color in just one small run.

• 3 weeks later...

Resin actually shrinks slightly with time.

I would dump the resin into a container and stir it up, it may have stratified or one or the other, cationic or anionic has settled to the bottom. Mix it up then pour it back in the cartridge, tap the cartridge on the table or counter top a couple times to pack it down, add more resin, tap it against the table again several times, top it off and reinstall the foam ring and lid. You want it packed as tightly as possible so water does not channel or short circuit.

I've never once used the entire package. I tap it on my counter as I fill it to let it settle. Then use a spoon to pack it tight. Then tap it some more. Then put the cap on nice and tight and open it and add some more. I usually have half a cup or so left over. I'm fairly certain that is normal.

Archived