ReefCleaners.org

Weird parameters

RyanRe1n8olt

So i have a 20 gallon high tank ive been running for a month or so. Ive been keeping my salinity at 1.026. Now that im considering adding corals, i tested my alkalinity, magnesium and calcium with the red sea test kit.

This is what i got

Alkalinity:11.2dkm

Calcium:320ppm

Magnesium:over 1600ppm

Very confused so if anybody could explain this that would help

What salt do you use? Did you dose anything? My Mag is constantly high I think from my salt but my corals didn't seem to care. I guess as long as mag is not low and stay stable it should be fine.

What do u want to know about them and did you double check them?

Just want to know why my magnesium is so high and calcium is so low. And wht i can do about it

What salt do you use? Did you dose anything? My Mag is constantly high I think from my salt but my corals didn't seem to care. I guess as long as mag is not low and stay stable it should be fine.

I use instant ocean reef crystals. And okay what can i do about my calcium? And if you have experience with the red sea test kit, could you tell me when you fill up the chemical is the syringe, do you take the cap off the syringe or leave it on because i tried both and a different amount of chemicals were added into the syringe each time.

No you leave the "needle" on when you draw the solution up. There's volume in the needle cap that's why there will be a gap between the solution level and the bottom of the plunger. Theoretically the gap should equal the volume in the cap. Ignore that gap and just read the bottom of the plunger.

And draw up your solution slowly to avoid bubbles being trapped in the cap.

Just want to know why my magnesium is so high and calcium is so low. And wht i can do about it

I use instant ocean reef crystals. And okay what can i do about my calcium? And if you have experience with the red sea test kit, could you tell me when you fill up the chemical is the syringe, do you take the cap off the syringe or leave it on because i tried both and a different amount of chemicals were added into the syringe each time.

No you leave the "needle" on when you draw the solution up. There's volume in the needle cap that's why there will be a gap between the solution level and the bottom of the plunger. Theoretically the gap should equal the volume in the cap. Ignore that gap and just read the bottom of the plunger.

And draw up your solution slowly to avoid bubbles being trapped in the cap.

Thats could be why i did it without the cap. Okay i will retest everything to see and post what my water is at

Did you ever retest?

Mag seems high and I've never seen it that high from reef crystals.

Cal is always low in reef crystals. You can dose calcium to bring the number up.

Alk seems to be at the top of range.

I used reef crystals for a long time and the numbers where always low and need some dosing to bring them back up.

Did you ever retest?

Mag seems high and I've never seen it that high from reef crystals.

Cal is always low in reef crystals. You can dose calcium to bring the number up.

Alk seems to be at the top of range.

I used reef crystals for a long time and the numbers where always low and need some dosing to bring them back up.

No ive been busy with diplomas. I will once diplomas are done. Yeah i hate hearing about dosing. Just seems like more of a regular cost that i have to do. I did dosing in my planted tank and hated it because its an ongoing cost. Mag is most likely wrong because it just doesnt seem right. If i did dose calcium wouldnt it bring alkalinity down?

Archived