Cultivated Reef

Bubble algae...

BrunoSnow

I would like to read your opinons about this subject...

Are bubble algae a real menace to a reef tank, should they be eliminate from the tank, if so why? And the best method to do it? Emeral crab or fish?

Thks

• 2 weeks later...

I do think it's a menace - it will happily choke out other inhabitants, like filter feeders, corals, etc. An emerald crab fixed most of mine, but keep in mind that they can't get everywhere and popping the bubbles does release spores. After the emerald crab, my issue got way worse.

I agree with manual removal and siphoning out as you pop, but what eventually got rid of it all for me was Vibrant, which I'm grateful for :)

the top three invaders that would cause me to take harsh surgical action due to invasion risk

valonia

bryopsis

invasive dino species

all else is easy. cyano and diatoms are so easy to beat in a nano reef =not a concern.

Remove with a siphon and I like to scratch the area with something to remove the base or it will come back and then a little emerald crab will help also I dose peroxide but remember the crab is not as good as you in ridding it stay on top of it and you will get rid of it

I do think it's a menace - it will happily choke out other inhabitants, like filter feeders, corals, etc. An emerald crab fixed most of mine, but keep in mind that they can't get everywhere and popping the bubbles does release spores. After the emerald crab, my issue got way worse.

I agree with manual removal and siphoning out as you pop, but what eventually got rid of it all for me was Vibrant, which I'm grateful for :)

You had success with vibrant riding your tank of it?

You had success with vibrant riding your tank of it?

Absolutely! I just didn't do it very intelligently - the bubbles lightened, then went thin and more or less dissolved, and haven't come back since. Bryopsis took advantage of the nutrients released by decaying bubbles (one tiny patch on one tiny frag turned into a hot mess), but now that hasn't grown back in weeks and is melting as well, isolated to one rock. And following that, cyano took over because I let nitrates bottom out for too long (NYFishies saw the same in his tank, and I saw it in my freshwater tank). The lack of nitrates is where my hitchhiking macros began to melt, too.

Now I dose vibrant with Seachem nitrogen, and the cyano's fading away as the bryopsis melts. I don't really dose it weekly. I did the first dose following the instructions, and now I add a few drops on an almost-daily basis (and bring nitrates back up to 2-3ppm).

From what I understand, there's a strain of bacteria in the bottle that adheres to the algae's cell wall and uses the algae's nutrients - I don't think it lives the one or two weeks the instructions advise (but don't quote me; I can't remember where I read it), so I replenish it by dosing a small amount daily.

Basically I learned the Redfield ratio and proceeded to ignore it, and consequences followed. Just like I forgot the importance of turning the alk doser schedule off when alk tested too high, and didn't keep testing alk :angry:

A juvenile foxface will clean it all if you have plenty of space for that spieces.

Once the fish grow and taken out from tank, bubbles slowy come back though.

I removed a frag from my tank in which bubble algae started popping up. I twisted the bubbles off with tweezers (outside of tank) and then rinsed off the frag. It was re-inserted into the tank and its been over a month since I've seen any bubble algae! Just be sure they don't pop in your tank since that is how they will spread.

• 1 month later...

I had a few problems whit mi phone... it take a dive in my tank so... I was away for a wille until mi new phone arrived from china... lol

Some bubble algae is starting to apear in mi tank i try to remove it by hand but some burst so i hope mi UV does the job bi killing the spores lets see what happens

• 4 weeks later...

Archived