Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mr Z's IM Lagoon 25

MrZ2u

Ordered it from MarineDepot Tuesday evening, went to Seattle Thursday, got home Friday afternoon and it was sitting on porch.

Damn, I have to go out of town this weekend! Guess the stand starts Sunday evening :)

Much to do on this one. The wall it is against has no power so I need to drop a line from the attic and fortunately there is a line almost right above this wall where the doorbell transformer is installed. Should be easy but needs doing when SWMBO is not around to watch...better for all concerned.

Planning to have it level with the guard rail I think...should make for a nice feature coming up the stairs.

20170127_201927_zps3vzbw7a6.jpg

DIY for sure. I was going to build the tank too but just the glass alone was going to be substantially more than the tank already done.

I want a stand with room for a 5gal jug for the ATO in the bottom and maybe the bucket of salt, a shelf above it for a UPS and I am thinking of having that be a sliding shelf. Above all that I want a drawer for testing solutions, refracto, foods and common use tools. Not sure I have the height for all that and that aesthetic will be more important.

Trying to decide if I weld up a steel skeleton and skin it with 1/4 ply or just make the whole thing from 3/4 baltic birch. Not talking about a really heavy setup...maybe 300 give or take so steel might be overkill.

I gotta say as well... www.marinedepot.com is just fantastic. I have a bunch of gear on its way from them. Maybe I caught them at just the right time but I have been able to stack coupons and cashback and stage my orders just perfectly to save a good chunk of money that can be used elsewhere. Shipping has been faster than expected considering it is free as well. This is a completely unsolicited plug as well...saved me a substantial fist full of cash that I have have been hoarding away from the boss which is appreciated!

Progress made...I work from home when I am not traveling. Its end of quarter/year and I am SLOW so I decided to "work" a little today rather than work default_wink.png

Squared off some 2x4s to 1.5x3 and built a skeleton...total overkill but thats not a bad thing. Its all screwed and glued for good measure.

20170131_141828_zps6tn1s1ld.jpg

Wrapped it in 1/2 11-ply left over from my last project and topped/floored and made a shelf with 3/4 ply left over from another project. Its all glued and stapled to the skeleton. I ran out of the 1/2 so I didnt get to the front. Hard to see but notice the notch in the back. The top and sides go past the skeleton by 1.75 inch. I will notch the bottoms so it can clear the floor molding and go flush to the wall. The notch is to run cords and tubing thru. Ideally there will be no space behind where you see anything. Tempted to paint it white to be honest. I may match the floor molding in the house around the bottom and If I do I will probably trim this similar to some cabinets I built downstairs. This should make SWMBO happy, having it look more like part of the house.

20170131_162006_zps4tlduari.jpg

I plan to use the Tunze Comline 9001 but in the tanks factory configuration the skimmer can't really go anywhere. The second chambers are too small and the plumbing in the middle prevent it from attaching to the wall of the second chambers as well. I tried to trim down the plumbing but as small as it can be made it still pushes hard on the skimmer body.

I will have a wave maker on one side so I drilled out one hole big enough for a 1/2in loc-line fitting to be installed (because the factory fitting does not articulate as well as loc-line) attached a “Y” and split some segments and voilà…problem solved and better than the other mods I have seen if I do say so myself default_smile.png

20170202_111903_zpskqxpr9fg.jpg

20170202_111910_zpspccqb0bo.jpg

Not exactly tank but related since it needs power and there is (or was) none on the wall against which I am putting this and most importantly SWMBO is at work so not around to question what I am doing default_smile.png

Locate stud and cut hole in drywall.
20170203_090901_zpsirlq6leu.jpg

1. Locate same stud in attic
  2. Poke a hole in the top beam next to said stud.
  3. Insert Romex
  4. Exit attic while praying the Romex is just sitting there at the hole so you dont have to fish for it.
  5. Give thanks for answered prayer in step 4.
  6. Wire it up and vacuum away the evidence
  7. Wonder if SWMBO will even notice the new outlet default_smile.png

20170203_095844_zpsxrzepx91.jpg

And to round out the day I have almost finished the stand. I still need to mount the side door and trim the top but this was a semi productive afternoon.

The side door came to me the other night. It will open down like an oven to access the ATO, wave controller and whatever else might benefit from that sort of access. Will have to offset a back frame to hang all that on or maybe have it on the door itself...not decided yet. Didnt have hinges for it so no joy today...two busy weeks coming up as well so this may be it for a while which is a bummer.

20170203_182540_zpsgjbur8d2.jpg

Nice start you got there. With all those tools that's what you call a real reefer is all about. I have the same tank but scrap back chamber and converted over to a sump version.

Brad holes filled and drying on the stand so while I wait for that so I can sand I figured I would hang the RO/DI unit. Also cause SWMBO isnt home which makes it more of a beg for forgiveness sort of thing...I am not sure if I should point it out or let her find it default_huh.png For some reason she is particular about the laundry room and I honestly dont know why...its purely utility and honestly, where the hell else is a better place for this to be? Will one of you call her and explain it please default_smile.png

20170204_152142_zpsjyumua4v.jpg

Brad holes filled and drying on the stand so while I wait for that so I can sand I figured I would hang the RO/DI unit. Also cause SWMBO isnt home which makes it more of a beg for forgiveness sort of thing...I am not sure if I should point it out or let her find it default_huh.png For some reason she is particular about the laundry room and I honestly dont know why...its purely utility and honestly, where the hell else is a better place for this to be? Will one of you call her and explain it please default_smile.png

20170204_152142_zpsjyumua4v.jpg

pft... such a man response. lol

I am the wife and the reefer in this house. Wheb my husband suggested putting the ro unit in my laundry room I told him to gtfo. lol We will mount it underneath the kitchen sink which is where we've put it in every house.

The laundry room is a sacred place for a hated chore. It muct be as aesthetically pleasing as possible so as not to give her or myself temptation to do something else instead of the endless stupid laundry.

Thats why the RO unit does not go in the laundry room.

how are you filling the extra return hole? just started a 25 nice start man!

A dab of silicone and these...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-2-Pack-Hole-Plugs/3109075

pft... such a man response. lol

I am the wife and the reefer in this house. Wheb my husband suggested putting the ro unit in my laundry room I told him to gtfo. lol We will mount it underneath the kitchen sink which is where we've put it in every house.

The laundry room is a sacred place for a hated chore. It muct be as aesthetically pleasing as possible so as not to give her or myself temptation to do something else instead of the endless stupid laundry.

Thats why the RO unit does not go in the laundry room.

Pffttt...it IS aesthetically pleasing...looks important in there, purposeful! Plus, she can use 0 TDS water in her iron now ;)

All trimmed out, doors/hinges mounted and holes marked and removed again for paint. Three coats of bare wood primer and just sprayed the second top coat. Decided with SWMBO's input that white would be better to blend in with the house so its the same color as the baseboard trim which is going to make it stand out a little from the wall color but not as much as black would have. If these two top coats settle out like I hope I will haul it upstairs this evening. My poor stool...I may have to sand the top off to wood again. Its got at least four projects worth of overspray on it :)
​​​​​​​

20170207_130809_zpshzyhtpyq.jpg

do you own a home depot?

Wouldnt that be great! I assume you see all the orange. I have been an a fan of the ridgid tools since they put a lifetime warranty on everything, even batteries! I have other brands too though ;)

Paint dry enough to move and I almost wish I wasn't going Cancun tomorrow cause I am so ready to start putting things together now! I had to put the tank on it to see how it looks...vacation lets the paint cure till next Wed at least so tank back off and a lot less likely to stick to the paint later default_smile.png

20170207_164326_zpsx1kz03vl.jpg

20170207_164350_zpslqwyx15l.jpg

Wouldnt that be great! I assume you see all the orange. I have been an a fan of the ridgid tools since they put a lifetime warranty on everything, even batteries! I have other brands too though ;)

Me too. I have almost the complete cordless set.

Paint dry enough to move and I almost wish I wasn't going Cancun tomorrow cause I am so ready to start putting things together now! I had to put the tank on it to see how it looks...vacation lets the paint cure till next Wed at least so tank back off and a lot less likely to stick to the paint later default_smile.png

20170207_164326_zpsx1kz03vl.jpg

20170207_164350_zpslqwyx15l.jpg

Stand came out great! Love the side door idea.

I can help you out with your Cancun dilemma.. I can take your place so you can stay back and get that tank wet! Feel free to PM me!

Archived