Pod Your Reef

Alk/Ca/Mg Dose Calculator

Travis

I came up with the idea to make a simple to use calculator to adjust the dosing of alk, ca, and mg.

Here's the link to the PC based application.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bmszro2suhi2wu/Travis%20Calculator.exe?dl=0

Excel Version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjodivz6cak3m82/T-Calc%20Excel.xlsx?dl=0

Instructions

- Each calculator must first be calibrated to your own reef tank. The values that are in the calibration boxes are for example only.
- For the most accurate results, use a high quality test kit that has been proven to be accurate.
- The "Initial Test Result" is the first test ran before adding the "Control mLs Added"
- The "Control mLs Added" is a known amount of mLs added to the system. This can be any amount of mLs you choose to add. If you are unsure of the amount to add, use the recommended dosing instructions on the label of ingredient.
- The "Change Test Result" is the test taken after the control mLs have been added. Wait 20-30 minutes before taking this test after adding the control mLs.
- Once the calibration is complete, do not adjust it unless you have a change in total system volume (gallons/liters), you change to a different manufacturer of ingredient, or you change test kits.
-To calibrate each one of the calculators just click "Calc" menu item then select "Calibrate" and then select the calculator to adjust.
-All of your values are saved as soon as you close the window. The program makes a file called "calc.data" in the same directory as this program that it saves and reads your values and settings.
-To adjust the units of measure click on the "Calc" menu item and select "Units of Measure" you can adjust the Alkalinity Units and your Dosage Units to the appropriate unit of measure. As soon as you select a new unit of measure all your values will update.

Updated original post to include an Excel version of the calculator.

The idea behind this calculator is to test current levels, add in a known amount of additive, then record the result. Doing that will calibrate the formula to use the exact ratio of change for that system volume per mL of additive. Then when you want a desired level it will calculate just how much additive is needed to achieve the desired level.

I am not scientific person and I am not claiming to be one. I was able to come up with some simple formulas that I have had success with. If someone with real credibility could test it out for me and prove that it works, maybe others could benefit.

Archived