Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

Christopher Marks

Aquarium Gloves  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

• Yes, always.
    • No, never.
    • Only sometimes. (Explain Below)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"using the whole fist, doc?"

plastic baggies from the produce aisle are good too. no powders and cheeep.

i'm always concerned about slimeys, bristleworms, and other nastys just waiting to leap out and bite a chunk of flesh when i reach into the rock. gives me the heebeejeebees! :o

generally, i wash/rinse my hands before reaching in tho.

kris_willard

I was attacked by a bristle worm the other day when changing the filter floss in the sump of my 90g. OUCH! I literally have to pull it off of my finger... nasty little buggers

holyherbiness

Wait, are we supposed to?

I go through everything with just my bare hands, but if there is reason to suspect danger, i suppose i could don a pair of cheap latex medical gloves. (I have a whole box of them.)

EtOH_is_good

if i think that i have the possiblitity of touching something other than lr, i'll put on a glove. if im cutting, i'll put on a glove. if i put my hand in the tank, i'll rinse in hot water up to my elbows. i try and not put my hand into the tank if i can avoid it.

I always wash and rinse well before & after putting my hands in my tanks. I use liquid anti-bacterial soap beacause it rinses off well and doesn't leave a residue.

you guys are bananas. My girlfriend and I both wear heavy duty latex gloves when the bugs and worms came out of the rocks. I know they are good but not on the skin! yuck!

I've never worn gloves either. I say, if the fish can touch it then so can I! But, I do thoroughly wash my hands before putting them in the tank. And I do get a little scared when reaching into my refugium...I never know whats growing in there.

um, actually i think it is the pros that realize the need for gloves. some serious things can enter the skin through a rough cuticle or shortly cut nail. not just to keep the fish and coral healthy by not adding bad stuff to the water on your dirty skin, but to keep the little microscopic parasites out of your body that can cause damage like that poor guys thumb.

I have seen too many bad things happen to people who don't protect their skin. wear gloves and be better safe than sorry. even if it is to right a snail or fix a coral. I reached in to fix a power head a day after putting in new zoas, and got a terrible rash all over my hand and arm. no cuts or nothing, just the palytoxin really playing havoc on my skin.

Archived