Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Made my own Modern, Sleek, High Style stand for my 30L for around $120!

Michael_Price

Michael_Price

Well, I did it. I made my own stand! :D It all started after about two weeks of trying to find a Nice Stylish Stand seeing as this is one of the first things you see when you walk in my place, I wanted it to be presentable.

And after looking all over the Internet, the cheap stands look like.... Crap! <_< And the nice ones just look, ok.. with no space for wire management, controllers, etc. so I took matters into my own hands. Total spent, about $120!

I'll post more pictures when I get home, all my good pictures are on my Canons SD card lol. I have pictures of the whole build! From bare wood, to paint and vinyl. It's Dark Black Wood on the outside, and waterproof Silver on the inside with built in lighting.

I also have a 5 Gallon sump on the bottom left (Solely for Water Volume, no extra filters, media, etc) and a 5 Gallon ATO System. My Best all in one system ever!

Ill get some pictures with the lights on for you all later tonight inside and out!

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

• Like 10
Michael_Price

Alright so the full build! Here we go :D

So it all started with myself, growing old of looking at a nice tank, on a target book shelf ha ha.

IMG_2901.jpg
So I looked at about 50 tank stands online, looked at diagrams, and decided to make a sleek stye stand, with a small internal skeleton that was still big enough to support the weight. So after a trip to Home Depot, the measuring and cutting began.
IMG_2903.jpg
I picked up 3/4 MDF Board as I knew it would be flat and easy to cut and sand down smooth for vinyl, and I used 2x2's for the frame.
IMG_2904.jpg
I then added the top shelf to hide all the wires and hoses, and to have a panel for all my controllers.
IMG_2906.jpg
Then to water proof, because as most of you know, MDF is more of a sponge then anything... (this picture is about 2 coats of silver paint, you'll see the silver get thicker as the pictures progress) by the time I was done I had 8 Coats which now gives me a Water Proof cabinet inside so leaks etc are fine. I siliconed all the seams together before painting, so nothing will drip down between the panels
IMG_2910.jpg
Then I started sealing the screw holes and sanding it smooth for vinyl.
IMG_2907.jpg
And test fit, and hung the doors.
IMG_2917.jpg
Now that it all fit, it was time for the final coats of paint to seal it up.
IMG_2918.jpg
I only got enough vinyl to wrap the sides, and front of the stand (The vinyl was costly) So to keep it cheap I painted the Inside of the doors, and the back of the stand Black with a Textured Paint to make it look nice, and seal it up.
IMG_2919.jpg
Now that the paint was done, it was time to wrap what was still exposed!
IMG_2923.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg
IMG_2935.jpg
After all of that I installed my LED Lighting and I put an on off switch inside the doors for them.
IMG_2936.jpg
IMG_2930.jpg
And then all that was left was the swap. Out with the old, in with then new! Moved my entire tank into a plastic tub for the transfer, and had my power head running to keep everything happy while it was down.
IMG_2939.jpg
Rare picture of almost all my livestock together!
IMG_2940.jpg
IMG_2941.jpg
Then set it all back up, and hide the wires!
IMG_2952.jpg
IMG_2944.jpg
IMG_2947.jpg
Final Product :D
IMG_2953.jpg
  • Like 10
RIP Sebastian

Nice job. I might end up doing that. I have to move the tank soon (new carpet coming) and I'm using the stand I had with my 24. How'd you do the bucket sump? Overflow and return pump in the chambers?

• Like 2

Nice job. I might end up doing that. I have to move the tank soon (new carpet coming) and I'm using the stand I had with my 24. How'd you do the bucket sump? Overflow and return pump in the chambers?

I was curious about the bucket sump as well

This was at the top:

I also have a 5 Gallon sump on the bottom left (Solely for Water Volume, no extra filters, media, etc)

To me this just means water comes down where the heater and ATO sensor is and then pumped back up.

BTW, very well done and thought out. I would like to do something like this but use DJ power strips so I do not have to look at the plugs at all.

• Like 1
Oceanbox Designs

Well done on the DIY stand. I love it!! Where can I get that wood you use for the doors? Trying to finish my DIY stand since last year lol.

PS. Those light risers are looking rather nice on your tank :)

Michael_Price

I figured the Bucket Sump would get some attention ha ha, I'll make a DIY Thread on it next week and post the link here for you all to look at, I have ordered a few more parts in the mail so its not 100% done yet. Cut off valves and all that stuff for it. But it all comes out of the rear left baffles, I'll get detailed pictures and all for the build :)

Well done on the DIY stand. I love it!! Where can I get that wood you use for the doors? Trying to finish my DIY stand since last year lol.

Thanks! I got the Vinyl on Amazon, I'll find the link and post here for you. And thanks! I love the risers, makes feeding easier too ha ha.

Really impressive! You built it all on the floor of your balcony no less! The vinyl wood veneer is a cool solution, it looks legit. Can you tell us more about that?

Ha ha thanks, yeah. Luckily I had all the tools to do it! I impressed myself :lol: The vinyl is really pretty simple to apply, just like a giant sticker

• Like 3
Michael_Price

dang this is sweet. that bucket sump lol. Cant wait to hear more

I Remade my Bucket Sump over the weekend, the Orange Bucket was temporary. (I was more focused on completing my tank transfer) I took pictures of the whole build when I moved it over this weekend, and will go into detail for ya'll and post a link to the DIY Bucket Sump Build here so ya'll can get the details.

Sad to say my Leather coral and my Toadstool have not opened back up since the move :wacko: I did notice my Nitrates got up to 50PPM!!!! I think the stirred up sand bed brought a small Cycle back on. Did a late night water change hopefully they'll bounce back. My fish and other corals are all doing great :D

I'll post pictures after work!

• Like 1
Michael_Price

Really impressive! You built it all on the floor of your balcony no less! The vinyl wood veneer is a cool solution, it looks legit. Can you tell us more about that?

Looks really nice

Thanks! I got some better pictures over the weekend. And I attached a link to the Bucket Sump Build Below as well for y'all :D

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2997.jpgIMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

Bucket Sump Build Here -

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/380011-5-gallon-bucket-sump-diy-yes-a-bucket-sump/?p=5460898

Wood Vinyl Wrap Here -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXTPWMD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2
Michael_Price

Your innovative

Btw what do you have in the bucket is it filter stuff?

And what light are you using its looks like it's doing the job?

Nothing in the Bucket, just gives me some extra Water Volume. More Water, More Stability! And super easy water changes :lol:

I have a Orbit Marine Pro 36" Light. Not to get confused with the Regular Orbit Marine. And I am actually thinking of turning down my lights... right now its at 38% White, 100% Blue. So I'm very happy with it! I have bleached out corals before by mistake.. :blink: so its got some power. My LFS had a SPS Frag Sale, buy three frags for $40. So I got three a few weeks ago. So far they are all still fully extended with no issues. I should take a picture of each of them today, and again in 30 days to compare the results.

Wow I wish I was as talented as you. that is awesome

Verrrry nice!

Thanks! :D

• 6 months later...

Michael...this thread is worth the necro revival. 

SO AWESOME!!!

do you have any drawings/sketches that you made/used to help you with this? 

and what would you do if you wanted to make something like this for two tanks, with one over another? 

• Like 1

hate to be that guy, but...

Is that a brass valve on top of the lid of the bucket? Aren't you afraid of condensation collecting on it (from the inside of the bucket's lid), and dripping back down will bring unwanted nasties into the tank? copper is highly toxic to most marine invertebrates...

You did a great job, congrats on the beautiful new stand! I messed up my paint job on my new stand, and was too impatient to wait for laminate. I may end up doing vinyl like this, it looks pretty good!