Cultivated Reef

Hole in clam?

Shark Fighter

Shark Fighter

I am still fairly new to keeping clams, my first and only clam is a Tridacna Derasa I've had for just a month and a half now. It has been doing very well all this time until this morning when I noticed it seemed a bit more closed than usual. Taking a closer look I noticed what appears to be a hole near the hinge directly behind the mouth. I can look into it's mouth and see straight through to the other side with light shining through. Is it ok? I've never noticed the hole before and I'm worried one of my crabs might have had a go at it.

IMG_0293_1.jpg

Shark Fighter

No, it used to be pointed upward at a 45 degree angle. Come to think of it this morning I removed a pair of urchins from my tank because they kept knocking my frags over, and one of them was on the rock directly behind the clam. I must have inadvertently bumped the rock and pushed him forwards enough to pop the byssal threads loose.

Is there anything I can do to help him? He does seem stressed and I'm worried about him being able to feed with such a large hole.

No, it used to be pointed upward at a 45 degree angle. Come to think of it this morning I removed a pair of urchins from my tank because they kept knocking my frags over, and one of them was on the rock directly behind the clam. I must have inadvertently bumped the rock and pushed him forwards enough to pop the byssal threads loose.

Is there anything I can do to help him? He does seem stressed and I'm worried about him being able to feed with such a large hole.

once his foot is attached I don't think a urchin could knock it over I could be wrong. I know any I've owned once they grabbed hold they held on hard. I think the falling over and release of the foot lays with the whole in the clam just not doing good.

once his foot is attached I don't think a urchin could knock it over I could be wrong. I know any I've owned once they grabbed hold they held on hard. I think the falling over and release of the foot lays with the whole in the clam just not doing good.
Shark Fighter

once his foot is attached I don't think a urchin could knock it over I could be wrong. I know any I've owned once they grabbed hold they held on hard. I think the falling over and release of the foot lays with the whole in the clam just not doing good. once his foot is attached I don't think a urchin could knock it over I could be wrong. I know any I've owned once they grabbed hold they held on hard. I think the falling over and release of the foot lays with the whole in the clam just not doing good.

I sure hope so.

The urchin was on the backside of the rock and I may have pushed the rock slightly forward trying to grab him, but in any case I was very gentle since I didn't want my hand skewered by an urchin spine. I'm always very careful around the clam but that's the only time I've stuck my hands in the tank for a long time so it must have been my fault somehow.

I pulled the clam out and confirmed that there's a small hole where the byssal gland should be. It must have attached to the bottom glass but try as I might I couldn't find the remains of the foot. So I found a small cup shaped piece of rubble rock to use as a makeshift hammock and put it back in its spot. Really hoping this little guy pull through.

I sure hope so.

The urchin was on the backside of the rock and I may have pushed the rock slightly forward trying to grab him, but in any case I was very gentle since I didn't want my hand skewered by an urchin spine. I'm always very careful around the clam but that's the only time I've stuck my hands in the tank for a long time so it must have been my fault somehow.

I pulled the clam out and confirmed that there's a small hole where the byssal gland should be. It must have attached to the bottom glass but try as I might I couldn't find the remains of the foot. So I found a small cup shaped piece of rubble rock to use as a makeshift hammock and put it back in its spot. Really hoping this little guy pull through.

hope so too keep us updated it always sucks to lose livestock
Shark Fighter

So just an update, my clam appears to be doing much better now. It didn't seem to like the stupid hammock idea so I tossed it and just buried the clam as deep as I could in the sand bed facing straight upwards. After a few days it slowly started opening more and more and now it actually looks happier than before. I've never seen the mantle open so much. Haven't checked to see it it's attached yet but I don't want to bother it as long as it's happy.

It's still in the exact same spot as before, so I'm not sure what stressed it out to begin with. Maybe I bumped it too hard or maybe it just didn't like the angle it was at. In either case I appreciate all the concern. I'll continue to keep an eye on it but for now it looks like it's going to be fine.

Archived