Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

Man those Electric Miyagi Tort and Pearlberry colonies are insane. I'll have to pick up some frags next time! (or if there's still some around in a few weeks) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

How is there not a Teeny Brand acro? I would pay top dollar for a frag of Teenypora! Top dollar, I say!

Teenypora :lol:

Well, maybe that's what I'll call the frags formerly known as "not quite but sort of like pearlberry" 🙂

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Man those Electric Miyagi Tort and Pearlberry colonies are insane. I'll have to pick up some frags next time! (or if there's still some around in a few weeks) 

I'm sure I'll have something, just let me know!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well, I'm not dead, and neither is this tank. Just suffering from bad update syndrome 🙂

I just finished soaking the egg crate and MP-10s in bleach and vinegar (not at the same time!). And I scraped the bottom glass, so it all looks shiny and new again. It's a bit of a pain to scrape coralline off the bottom glass but I it's worth it when I see how good it looks afterward.

Things are going pretty well in this tank. Nutrients have finally risen above zero without nitrate dosing, and seem to be holding steady at about 4. Hopefully it will stay that way, or a little lower. Phosphates are high, though, at .11. But everything looks pretty good so I'm not going to try to fix it if it isn't broke. I have very little algae, just a tiny bit of green film algae. I mostly scrape the glass to keep ahead of the coralline growth.

2018-09-10 DB30 FTS:

2018-09-10 DB30 FTS

2018-09-10 DB30 Top Down:

2018-09-10 DB30 Top Down

The biggest problem in this tank are the zoas, they just won't stay open and puffy for very long. I can help them by dipping, but inevitably they go back to what you see here. But I've never had much luck with zoas in any of my three tanks so I'm not sure what the root cause is.

Zoas

The montis are doing great, though. I need to sell some or they're going to take over!

Montis

Acros seem to grow really fast in this tank, which is great. I've been slowly increasing the PAR over the tank, and I'm waiting for some new growth to see what the "real" colors turn out to be on the faux pearlberry aka teenypora corals are. They definitely are a different color than the miyagi tort, though.

Acros

This whole green monticap is growing off of one small frag plug :lol:

Green Monticap

I still have three frags of blue kenya tree. Also, check out the idaho grape monticap. I had a 1/2" fragment drift onto the glass bottom and it started growing. Now it covers the whole back corner. I just throw stuff on it in the back corner, but nothing seems to bother it.

Blue Kenya Tree

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

It's crazy how much alk consumption can change almost overnight. After I cleaned the egg crate and scraped all the coralline off the bottom glass, alk shot up from 7.5 to 8.2 in two days. Fortunately I caught it right away because I check alk almost every day. I reduced the dosage by 25%, which stopped the increase, but I had to reduce it to about half the original dose to get alk to start dropping again. 

It went back to 7.5 after two days, but I still only had to increase the dose by about 10% for it to stabilize, and until last night it stayed right at 7.5 for another six days.

Now over the last three days, it has dropped from 7.5 to 6.5 in spite of increasing the dose every night. As of tonight it's double the previous low dose - right back to where it was before. Hopefully that will at least stabilize it and hopefully bring it back up around 7 or 7.5

It just appears that growth slowed down after so much cleaning and scraping. Plus removing lots of coralline reduces alk consumption. But it's crazy how it suddenly starts right back up again over just a day or two.

• Like 1
On 9/20/2018 at 11:46 PM, skyscraper2290 said:

I don’t know how I haven’t seen this tank of yours! Those montis look great, I love that green one. Now I want one haha

Thank you! I recently put a bunch of frags on sale locally and they went fast. I now have only a few little pieces of the green. But it grows fast so I'll have more frags soon.

look forward to seeing the JF Enchanted forest in this tank.  It looks to be a very nice variant of BoP-type birdnest.  Just curious what it'd look like under more typical lighting condition, knowing that JF farm loves their blue LEDs. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

look forward to seeing the JF Enchanted forest in this tank.  It looks to be a very nice variant of BoP-type birdnest.  Just curious what it'd look like under more typical lighting condition, knowing that JF farm loves their blue LEDs. 

I agree. I almost didn't get it because I already have a BoP. But the coloration is interesting and I don't really mind things that look good under blue lighting 🙂

But it will be interesting to see what it looks like under my lighting. And of course, colors always morph under different tank conditions. That's what makes this fun!

• Like 1

As I mentioned in the 40g thread, I got sucked into a Jason Fox live sale last weekend, with predictable results :rolleyes:

The frags arrived today. They were well packed and in great shape. Everything looks like it did in the sale pictures. 

I haven't had time to take individual pics, but here's a top down shot of all the new frags. 

20180927-untitled-006.jpg

I'll post the id's later tonight when I get home! 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Remember the name of this guy? 

I like that one a lot 

0994E84A-106E-4882-82C0-09E56D04A761.jpeg.fa5b29b691c282fad32a6fdd8f819f3d.jpeg

That one is JF Ice Breaker. One of my favorites. 

I just remembered I posted all these in the 40g thread so here's a cut and paste:

JF Enchanted Forest:

20180922-untitled-009.jpg

ARC Fireworks:

20180922-untitled-008.jpg

JF Cry Babies:

20180922-untitled-007.jpg

JF Ice Breaker:

20180919-untitled-006.jpg

JF Maze Brain:

20180919-untitled-005.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear:

20180918-untitled-004.jpg

JF Sidetracked Goni

20180914-untitled-003.jpg

JF Hateraid:

20180913-untitled-002.jpg

JF Supersonic Echinata:

20180913-untitled-001.jpg

• Like 5

Here are some better pics of the new frags. Overall the colors are pretty much the same as shown in the website pictures. Just less saturated 🙂

JF Ice Breaker:

20180927-untitled-002.jpg

JF Hateraid. This one doesn't look like much yet, but should grow out with a lot of interesting blues, purples, and yellows in addition to the green.

20180927-untitled-003-2.jpg

ARC fireworks. Another one that will look more interesting when it gets bigger.

20180927-untitled-004.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear:

20180927-untitled-006-2.jpg

JF Enchanted Forest. So far it looks like a generic birdsnest to me. And not in great shape.

20180927-untitled-007.jpg

JF Sidetracked goni. This is an expensive one that I didn't mean to buy, honestly. But it does have a lot of potential to look awesome when it grows out.

20180927-untitled-008.jpg

JF Supersonic Echinata. This was a $5 coral. It will probably always look like a $5 coral :lol:

20180927-untitled-010.jpg

JF Maze brain. A $10 coral. It has a little more potential than the $5 coral.

20180927-untitled-011.jpg

JF Cry Babies zoas. I love these and hope I can figure out the right level of light to keep the deep colors. This picture is a little off, they look better in real life.

20180927-untitled-018.jpg

• Like 5

That there is a bunch o' frags! I am super jealous of the ARC Fireworks & the JF Hateraid. The ARC has been on my list for a while, and while I am not too familiar with the Hateraid, the colony photos are insane! I am going to be interested in watching that one grow out! Congrats man!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

That there is a bunch o' frags! I am super jealous of the ARC Fireworks & the JF Hateraid. The ARC has been on my list for a while, and while I am not too familiar with the Hateraid, the colony photos are insane! I am going to be interested in watching that one grow out! Congrats man!

Thanks - maybe we can trade nubs someday :biggrin:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks - maybe we can trade nubs someday :biggrin:

Gonna be across the creek tomorrow again, need more dino eating hermits. We're also going to look at a piece of property while we're there, you might have a new neighbor across the creek on the weekends.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Gonna be across the creek tomorrow again, need more dino eating hermits. We're also going to look at a piece of property while we're there, you might have a new neighbor across the creek on the weekends.

Sweet! Whereabouts? 

Just now, StinkyBunny said:

We'll be down at Kiptopeke tomorrow, the property is up in Machipongo.

My parents live on the water in Eastville. Every time we visit we have clams from the Machipongo Crab Shack. Good luck! 

• Like 1
Just now, teenyreef said:

My parents live on the water in Eastville. Every time we visit we have clams from the Machipongo Crab Shack. Good luck! 

I went in there the last time I was down and I was taken aback at the smell in there. PLEASE be very careful with seafood, spoiled seafood WILL kill you quickly. If it doesn't you'll wish you were dead. I will say that I am VERY picky about seafood, if I can't catch it myself or get it off the boat, I'll usually pass. I'll look around and take the clam rake with me tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

• Like 2