Coral Vue Hydros

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

You're gonna hate me for this. Mine is going away out of the one QT system and I don't have a clue why. Either the Blonde Naso is eating it or the ATS is consuming something it was using.

• Like 1

Teeny, can't remember if you have, but have you tried the super high magnesium dosing Kent Tech M method before? I've used that in the past to get rid of byropsis with good results. 

• Like 2

I actually think I might leave my skimmer running, since some are claiming it still works with it. I don't think my tank can handle two weeks without a skimmer this soon after a reboot :P

• Like 2

How much or how many times hsve you used it ?! Im going to order the 200mg dosage and try that before the cube gets set up and see if that works in my current tank. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kguske2 said:

Teeny, can't remember if you have, but have you tried the super high magnesium dosing Kent Tech M method before? I've used that in the past to get rid of byropsis with good results. 

I never tried it. From the reports I read, it's hit and miss now, and some people claim it's because they changed the formula. The theory is that it is due to some extra ingredient in Kent Tech M, since regular magnesium supplements don't have the same effect.

5 hours ago, Mariaface said:

I actually think I might leave my skimmer running, since some are claiming it still works with it. I don't think my tank can handle two weeks without a skimmer this soon after a reboot :P

I'll be interested to see what happens! I ran mine for the first three days, I think. But I put the skimmate back into the tank after that, so theoretically even if it did skim the medication out, I put it back in. Of course who knows if it was somehow broken down in the skimming process.

But if people are reporting it works with skimming anyway, that would be great news.

48 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

How much or how many times hsve you used it ?! Im going to order the 200mg dosage and try that before the cube gets set up and see if that works in my current tank. 

I'm on the first round, day nine today. You're supposed to give it at least two weeks with no skimming or water changes, to keep the medication in the tank at full strength. There are also reports that it continues to work after the two weeks for a while since it takes time to get it all out with a skimmer and/or carbon.

I'll give it a shot! I mean, my bryopsis was already dying off thanks to vibrant anyway :) Granted it did take several weeks for it to really start breaking down

• Like 2

Thats crazy,the thread that I saw on R2R the guys bryopsis was basically gone after 3 days,I would say he had about 70-75% die off within those 1st 3 days of the initial dose of treatment. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

Thats crazy,the thread that I saw on R2R the guys bryopsis was basically gone after 3 days,I would say he had about 70-75% die off within those 1st 3 days of the initial dose of treatment. 

I hear hair algae takes longer, though? The stuff in teeny's tank might be hair algae, right? D: 

it's super stringy, at least; maybe it doesn't have quite the same composition in the cell walls.. 

• Like 1

True, but he admitted he thought it was already weakened by Vibrant treatments, didn't he? 

Either way, I just wish mine would go away. It's hard to be patient with this stuff. It's sooo tempting to put another dose in the tank just in case something went wrong with the first dose. 

Just now, teenyreef said:

It's sooo tempting to put another dose in the tank just in case something went wrong with the first dose. 

Do it! People's dosages varied 5mg-9mg with no consequences, didn't they? Just add another half-dose :P

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

I hear hair algae takes longer, though? The stuff in teeny's tank might be hair algae, right? D: 

it's super stringy, at least; maybe it doesn't have quite the same composition in the cell walls.. 

I agree, I'm still not convinced it's bryopsis, especially when it doesn't seem to be responding quickly to the fluco. 

3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Do it! People's dosages varied 5mg-9mg with no consequences, didn't they? Just add another half-dose :P

I guess all I really stand to lose is learning whether one dose would have worked on it's own. And of course keeping the skimmer off for another two weeks. But I guess if it clears it up then I can turn the skimmer back on then.

I think I'll give it until tomorrow, which will be 10 days. Then if a second dose doesn't do anything, I'll know I have truly evil algae with super powers.

I'm still dosing Vibrant btw, but I've never been really consistent with it.

• Like 1

Good luck!

I'm 100% not following instructions with Vibrant. I dose a small squirt of the bottle almost every day with some nitrate (to help outcompete the cyano that tends to grow; my tank's nitrate limited). I was using Seachem Nitrogen, but I realized I have Brightwell's NeoNitro and have been doing that - drop per gallon, and hopefully less potassium so I don't need to test for that. :) 

• Like 1

He may have already tried that,I had just seen the pics. Dude,who are you telling I have been battling this for almost 2 years... its insane. In all my last ditch efforts to kill it,I have stunned my Zoa's and nothing is growing whatsoever. 

• Like 1

I wish he were closer, I have a little doliatus and Orangespot I'd loan him, hell, you could try the Blonde Naso. I think that Naso is mowing it down in the one 40Breeder.

• Like 1

I wish I was closer too :)

I'm still thinking about renting a small one from the LFS if I can find one if the chemical approach doesn't work. I guess I could also move the emerald crab from the 10g since there's very little algae there now, and see what he does with this stuff.

23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Algae Day 8. Looks the same as yesterday to me :mellow:

Algae Day 8

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I was gonna suggest you remove it by hand until I realized those round thingies were closed up zoas.  That patch is no bigger than a finger nail. :lol:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I was gonna suggest you remove it by hand until I realized those round thingies were closed up zoas.  That patch is no bigger than a finger nail. :lol:

I'm actually keeping the rest of the tank clean by regular peroxide dips, toothbrush scrubs, and algae scraping. I'm just letting this one frag plug go as a test case. I figure if I can get this one plug clean, the rest of the tank should be clean too, making a comeback less likely.

Day 10 - thicker and darker, more compact. To me it looks more like gha than bryopsis. If so, it would explain why the Fluconazole hasn't done much yet.

Algae Day 10

jedimasterben
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I wish I was closer too :)

I'm still thinking about renting a small one from the LFS if I can find one if the chemical approach doesn't work. I guess I could also move the emerald crab from the 10g since there's very little algae there now, and see what he does with this stuff.

You're not gonna find a doliatus, only virgatus, and they're imposters that don't look nearly as nice and don't seem to like bryopsis. :(

• Like 1